Author Topic: Pen Morfa Cottages  (Read 44298 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Pen Morfa Cottages
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 10:59:15 am »
One of the friends I was with lived in Greenfield and his ancestors lived in Holywell and by coincidence his family name was Jones.  He also told me that the burial records for Holywell are in the County Archives in Hawarden, so is it possible that they have them and not CFHS?
I've looked in all the burial records in the Conwy Archives including Llandrillo but I'll check again. Llandrillo was in Denbighshire so it's unlikely that Walter was buried there.
Holywell in the 1800's was a busy place and had a population of over 10,000 and was the third largest town in Wales at the time.  St James' Church which is near the High Street appears to have had the Cemetery grassed over and the headstones removed and placed around the edge of the lawn but I didn't have time to look at them all as I was walking through.

Offline rog

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2012, 07:53:55 am »
The problem I have is access to records. I can only buy transcriptions that have been done by the CFHS. They have not transcribed all the parish records.  :(

Although I know that the Flintshire archives has microfiche of baptisms, marriages and burials for Holywell etc I have not been able to discover whether I can buy microfiche from them. They have all the transcribed copies so far done by the CFHS, which of course do not include the burials for the period I am looking for.

I also have a problm with respect to Llandrillo. Which one? I only have the census records to go by and these say Mary's PoB was Llandrillo, Denbighsire. I had assume it was Llandrillo yn Rhos as this is close to Llandudno, but there is also a Llandrillo south of Corwen.  :'(

It just doesn't get any easier does it?  :roll:

FWIW, the death cert I received for William JONES of Well Street, Holywell, recorded the informant as George JONES of Greenfield. This JONES line isn't mine but might be of use to someone else.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »
I'll ask my friend for more information on the Holywell burials when I see him next and I'll double check with the Conwy Archives asap. The other Llandrillo is near Llangollen and above the horseshoe falls (see photos)  but it is more Likely that Mary is from Llandrillo yn Rhos as it's much nearer to Llandudno.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2012, 06:47:37 pm »
I e-mailed my friend and this is the reply I received:-
"I did my family history research many years ago at Hawarden Records Office. They had the parish records there."

The Conwy Archives do certain requests by e-mail and it may be possible that the Flintshire Archives do the same. It's worth a try anyway and I'll have a look again at the Conwy Archives

Offline Hugo

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2012, 09:54:59 am »
Sorry Roger    :-}}}     $booboo$    that photo of the Church and Horseshoe falls is actually Llantysilio not Llandrillo.     I realised that after it was too late to modify my posting.
I'll post some other photo's another time.

Offline rog

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:01 am »

But lovely views of Wales, nevertheless.  $walesflag$

Offline rog

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 11:13:44 am »
Hi Hugo,

Some good news.  ZXZ

Findmypast has released Parish Records for a number of Welsh counties (not all though).

Denbigh is one that is available and I have found Walter William JONES, buried in Llanssantfraid Glan Conwy, 25 Jan 1871.

At last!  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:09 pm »
Hi Rog,  I don't know how I missed your last post but I read it last night for the first time so today I've been back to the Conwy Archives.
Unfortunately Walter William Jones is not listed in their burial book for Llansanffraid Glan Conwy although they were able to confirm that he was buried there.    ???
Anyway I decided to visit the Church and graveyard myself.  The Church has an old cemetery within it's walls and there is a more recent one further up the hill.   I looked at the graves in the old Cemetery but unfortunately couldn't find one for Walter. After I had finished my search the Church Organist came out and I explained the position to him and he said that the best person to contact is James Berry the Rector's Warden.  James' contact details are below and he may be able to help with the exact location of the grave.
Contact James Berry About:  All General matters concerning the church.   All pastoral requests should be directed to the Rector.
Address:  Llysaeron 18 Tal y Fan Llansanffraid Glan Conwy Conwy LL28 5NG
E-Mail:  llyfrauberrybooks@hotmail.com
Phone:  01492582596

Offline rog

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »
Hi Hugo,

What can I say.  $thanx$

I am most grateful for the time you have taken searching for my ellusive Walter William Jones. I will never have the chance to visit the graveyard so the photos you placed on the thread are very welcome.

I subsequently discovered that Walter's father, William Jones, died in Llan, Llansanfraidd GC 21 July 1863. It would appear he was visiting his daughter Sarah who had married John Jones. On the 1861 census, John was a tailor as well as parish clerk. William was buried in Holywell in 24 July 1863.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:24 pm »
I've sent an e-mail to James Berry with a copy to you.  Hopefully he can pinpoint the grave and then I can go up and take a photo for you.
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy or Glan Conwy as it is called locally is not far from where I live so it's no trouble for me.  The old Cemetery has a lot of grass over the graves but today there were thousands of Primulas all over the place and it looked quite pretty as Cemetery's go.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2012, 05:07:14 pm »
Hugo/Rog

Just a thought as there seems no trace in the List of Graves - could he have been buried in an un-marked grave or was he buried in one of the chapel grave yards eg Fforddlas ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2012, 08:06:50 pm »
Cambrian,  I had thought of that and although I've checked the Burial Records for Fforddlas previously, I rechecked them again today and nothing came up.
It's possible that he is buried in an unmarked grave but I'm not sure if the records show all graves or just those with a headstone.  The Church will have all the records and hopefully my e-mail to the Rector's Warden may throw some light on it.

Llansanffraid Glan Conwy is a village but it is also the name of the Parish and it also covers a very wide area.  I'm not familiar with any other graveyards within that Parish though.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »
My father was born at Pen Morfa cottages, the family name was Hughes and it was in the 1920's, they later moved up the Orme to glan LLyn on LLywinon Road.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:34 pm »
My Nain and Taid lived in No 6 Penmorfa Cottages from 1906 to 1936 when they were demolished.   Our family name is Hughes too and my Mother's brother Bobby Sam who was born in the Cottages also moved to Llwyn Onn Road later on with his family.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 04:21:30 pm »
Hi Rog,  I've sent 2 e-mails now and received no reply, and also phoned that number a few times ( it always says we cannot receive your call at the moment, please phone back) 
Last night I sent a letter to him, so fingers crossed. Next time I'll call at the house if I don't get a reply.
Today I went back to the Conwy Archives but again couldn't trace anything for Walter although all the graves seem to be listed there,   ???