Author Topic: Pen Morfa Cottages  (Read 42583 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Pen Morfa Cottages
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:41:16 pm »
Some photos of the old copper miners cottages before they were demolished in 1936. My mother lived in No 6, the end of terrace and moved to Cwm Place after they were demolished.
Glan Y Don as it was called in those days is the large detached cottage that is still there at the head of the cul de sac.

Offline Trojan

Re: Pen Morfa Cottages
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:46:05 pm »
The bottom photo shows the cottages being demolished in 1936.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:49:14 pm »
Glan Y Don as it was called in those days is the large detached cottage that is still there at the head of the cul de sac.

The cul-de-sac called Abbey Place.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:20:08 am »

The cul-de-sac called Abbey Place.

The house is now called "Moranedd".

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:07:53 am »
Used to be Megan Jones and her daughter Sara's house in the 60s and 70s.
Micox

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 06:19:28 pm »
wish it was mine

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:54:04 pm »
Hi Micox,  Was Sara a singer?

Offline rog

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:03:38 pm »
Some photos of the old copper miners cottages before they were demolished in 1936. My mother lived in No 6, the end of terrace and moved to Cwm Place after they were demolished.

Thank you for resurrecting the photos!

Rog

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 03:43:29 pm »

Thank you for resurrecting the photos!

Rog

Hi Rog,  nice to hear from you again.  Your ancestors lived in No 3 and No 4 Penmorfa cottage if I remember correctly and those two cottages are the two in the centre of the terrace.  My Taid and Nain (Grandparents) lived in No 6 which was the end of the terrace and I believe it was the end nearest the Orme.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:45:58 pm »
Here are some more photo's of the Boating Lake with the cottages in the background.   One of my favourite photos is this one of a watercolour painting by Dean Henry Liddell (Alice in Wonderland's father) of the house he had built called Penmorfa.  Your ancestor Rog would have been lucky to have  seen the house just like it is painted in the picture. It was later made into a hotel and had side additions added to it but sadly the building was completely demolished a few years ago.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »
Two views of The White Rabbit statue looking towards the direction of the Old Penmorfa Cottages.   One taken before Llandudno U D C carried out the disastrous sea defence and one taken today. Guess which one's which?        :rage:

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 05:44:42 pm »
That's a lovely picture of Penmorfa, Hugo, it makes the Great Orme look very wild.  When would Dean Liddell have painted it? 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »
I'm afraid that I've no idea of when it was painted Blodyn.  Suepp posted it originally and then she very kindly sent me a copy of it.
 The only thing I can say is that there is no trace of the Marine Drive in the photo. The Marine Drive was completed in 1878 and Penmorfa was built in 1862 so it must have been some time in between.
Great House and such a shame to see the site now.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:21 pm »
It was probably painted in 1862, when the house was completed. He sold it in 1873.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:50 am »
Roger who lives in Holland started this thread as he was looking for his ancestors address of Min Y Don Cottages.   I was able to find it after remembering that my Nain used to refer to having lived in Min Y Don and asking Roger to let me know the addresses nearby so that I could trace it.
Straight away I knew it was Penmorfa Cottages but confirmed this with the 1906 Rates Book for Llandudno U D C.   It turned out that Min Y Don Cottages was its official name but Penmorfa Cottages was the name by what they were called locally.
I seem to remember that Roger was looking for a grave at the time also but couldn't help him at the time.
If you are reading this Roger and you still want to trace the grave would you post the details  again so I can follow it up.