Author Topic: Hotels in the three towns area  (Read 4912 times)

Offline penelope59

Hotels in the three towns area
« on: September 07, 2010, 11:27:52 am »
The Alexandra hotel: Does anyone know the history of this hotel?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:28:31 pm by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The Alexandra Hotel
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:51:41 am »
Doesn't really answer your question, I know, but here's a photo of it from the 1920s:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »
The shop underneath the Alexandra Hotel was the curiously named Public Benefit Boot Company:

Offline Paddy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:03:14 pm »
I'm getting even further away from the original question nw but here's some info on the Public Benefit Boot Company. I thought it was quite interesting.

Offline penelope59

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:24 am »
Great photos, thanks, if anyone else has any info, I would be pleased to learn more. Penny

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:56 am »
I'm getting even further away from the original question nw but here's some info on the Public Benefit Boot Company. I thought it was quite interesting.
Was this the link you were thinking of?
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~publicbenefit/

The Llandudno branch was in existence from 1905-1942.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:17:46 am by DaveR »

Offline Paddy

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:29:28 pm »
Was this the link you were thinking of?
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~publicbenefit/

The Llandudno branch was in existence from 1905-1942.

That's the one Dave, thanks. Did I do something wrong for it to not appear on my post?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:35:57 pm »
That's the one Dave, thanks. Did I do something wrong for it to not appear on my post?
No, I don't think so. You just cut and paste the link into your post and it should appear as a clickable link. I'll try using my test member 'Hugh' to post the same link on here and see if it works.  :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:58:03 pm »
I seem to remember in the old Forum that under the heading of North Western hotel an A kerridge also ran the Bluebell Hotel Conwy, the Junction Hotel and the Albert in Llandudno. It seems that there may be a link with the Alex in Llandudno too.      Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »
Alexandra:

"An imposing later nineteenth century hotel building in a prominant location on the corner of Clommel and Mostyn Streets. It is depicted on the OS 1:500 Town Plan of 1889. Of four storeys with attics, the building was a hotel with shops, bars and reception on the ground floor.

Facing Mostyn Street there is a late nineteenth-early twentieth century cast iron veranda. Above this the building rises in a rendered six bay facade of two distinct parts bought together in a single composition. No. 47 has a fantastical corner tower rising an extra storey to a ribbed leaded octagonal cupola. No. 45 has its windows at a lower level than No. 47 and was presumably built as a separate property, having a separate entrance in 1889. However, the two parts share a common roofline, with attics lit by dormers in the slate mansard roof.

The three bay elevation facing Clommel Street is similar, but unified. The first floor has bay windows in the outer bays that originally descended to the groud floor, the far bay being slightly advanced. In 1889 there was a grand central entrance approached by steps rising above a forecourt."

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (5824)