Author Topic: Apple iMac  (Read 37793 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Apple iMac
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:59:07 pm »
I recently treated myself to an Apple iMac computer (thanks GVC) and it's an impressive machine, without a doubt, very well designed and built. The switch from Windows to the Mac OS after 15+ years of me using various versions of Windows forces you to stop and think about what you're doing, though. Just one example - in Windows, you click the X at top right of a program box to close a program, on the Mac it's a red dot at top left. Hard to break the habit at first but you soon get used to it though.

I know Ian is a keen Mac user, does anyone else on the Forum use them?

Offline dwsi

Re: Apple iMac
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:01:51 pm »
100% Mac fan here  8)  D)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:01:16 pm »
My desktop PC has died and I can't decide if I should get something similar or invest in an iMac. Can anyone please tell me the benefits of an Apple over a windows based PC?
Valar Morghulis

Offline dwsi

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »
My desktop PC has died and I can't decide if I should get something similar or invest in an iMac. Can anyone please tell me the benefits of an Apple over a windows based PC?

PC's tend to get obsolete in 1-2 years, with software requiring more memory and speed. A Mac stays 'current' for years, I've got a 8 year old mac laptop that still manages to cope with the latest software. Another benefit of a Mac is that it very rarely crashes and never gets viruses.
 D)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:15:31 am »
I think the main benefits are build quality and ease of use. That iMac pictured is an older model; the newer models are quite astonishing and don't cost the earth for what they offer.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:37:54 am »
I think the main benefits are build quality and ease of use. That iMac pictured is an older model; the newer models are quite astonishing and don't cost the earth for what they offer.

Dave??  Are you out of touch with modern technology....already?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:32:33 am »

No, it's a new one, looks the same as in Ian's pic, except that the keyboard is longer.  :P

Offline Trojan

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 06:21:03 pm »

No, it's a new one, looks the same as in Ian's pic, except that the keyboard is longer.  :P

I have a Welsh keyboard with 28 letters.  8)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 08:07:10 pm »
I've added to my recent splurge on Apple products by getting an iphone. Not the 4 version, but the 3GS. Once again, very pleased with it perhaps we should have a thread on the best Apps now.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 07:22:25 pm »
I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my Apple products at the moment. Original PC went pop and I can't get it working so I downloaded iTunes to my laptop but owing to Apple's overzealous copyright policy I can't do anything as if I try to sync either of my iPods or my iPhone4 it will wipe them and I'll lose everything!
I've got over 100 gig of music on one of the iPods and loads of Apps on the phone. I've decided to leave the big iPod as it is even though I've still got 50 gig of free space on it and use the older (smaller capacity) one for new music starting fresh with the laptop but I'm stumped with the phone.
The new Operating System for the phone has just been released which will store everything in The Cloud to assist people with similar problems in the future but if I try to update via the laptop it says it will wipe all the Apps off it unless I use the original PC which I can't for obvious reasons! Very frustrating after all those hours killing those damn Angry Birds with 3 stars and collecting all those Golden Eggs!!!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:25:03 pm »
Nope, no matter how many times I re-read that SDQ, it means nothing whatsoever to me...

I admit it, I'm a dinosaur !!!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »
. . . . . . . . . perhaps we should have a thread on the best Apps now.

I think the best two apps are the ones that make phone calls and send texts!    _))*

Here's another that may appeal to the hardened drinker!

10. iBeer: $1.99
Why drink a beer when you can pretend to drink a beer, right guys? This app, which appears to fill your iPhone screen with alcoholic goodness, responds to tilting, so you can take "sips" of your fake drink. Shake the phone for more foam or pour beer from one phone to another. Cheers. 
 Z**   L0L

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:54:17 pm »
owing to Apple's overzealous copyright policy I can't do anything as if I try to sync either of my iPods or my iPhone4 it will wipe them and I'll lose everything!
\
Just as an aside, it's not Apple's copyright system;  it's the best they could get from the music industry (and there are loads of ways round it).

You have your iPods set to 'automatically sync'.  Connect your iPod then change the setting to 'Manually sync' before it can get going. I have to admit I have all my iPods set that way;  much safer.  'Fraid I can't help with the iPhone issue, but Dave probably can.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 08:46:35 pm »
  Apart from using Safari as a browser I have never had any experience with Apple (oh and itunes a bit). But Ive just bought an old ipad to give it a try. It cost me £300 but I thought I might as well struggle with that before going in to an ipad2 or maybe 3. When I say old I dont mean used, just the original model. Its a bit dodgy, originates from China, has no sim card nor instructions no nothing apart from a charger plug but it is obviously unused.
  But at least I hopefully can learn a bit about them with it

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 09:02:50 pm »
I'm currently upgrading my iPhone to 5.0, will let you know how it goes.