Author Topic: Apple iMac  (Read 40954 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Apple iMac
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2014, 09:45:53 pm »
   Just thought.  Apple with yosemite. Sounds tasty. Better than an ice cream sandwich

Mike, I don't know what Yosemite is either, but I'm pretty sure it's not marmite.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2014, 02:35:57 am »
   Just thought.  Apple with yosemite. Sounds tasty. Better than an ice cream sandwich

Mike, I don't know what Yosemite is either, but I'm pretty sure it's not marmite.

Isn't he the bloke who was always trying to shoot Bugs Bunny?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2014, 08:21:55 am »
Really, our moderators and one or two others are posting in a VERY high tech manner, a lot of which is only partially understood me. And I have a Mac, and its little brother the iPad.

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/?cid=wwa-uk-kwg-mac-com
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2014, 08:24:23 am »
I'd wait a little while before jumping in, however. Despite this being the most well tested upgrade in Apple's history there are bound to be little issues, so wait and see remains the best option. The other factor is that there will also be the usual rash of hoax anti-Apple articles claiming it bends your computer, or similar...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2014, 09:44:11 am »
I'd wait a little while before jumping in, however. Despite this being the most well tested upgrade in Apple's history there are bound to be little issues, so wait and see remains the best option. The other factor is that there will also be the usual rash of hoax anti-Apple articles claiming it bends your computer, or similar...

Also the older your computer the more chance the latest OS could be too much work for it owing to the lack of RAM or aged CPU.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2014, 11:26:00 am »
Indeed.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2014, 07:56:52 pm »
  SDJ has a valid point. I know from slightly bitter experience.

Its only about 3 months ago that I upgraded to Ohh I cannot remember the name but its the OS which came out after Mountain Lion, its the first one not to be named after a tiger like animal.

I didn't even ungrade knowingly, its just that I was getting constant messages asking me if I wanted to update my apps and I just clicked update everything.

In retrospect this was a mistake, I wouldn't have clicked it if I had known what I was letting myself in for. Its taken my Mac a long time to settle down and I don't fancy going through all that again.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2014, 10:41:06 pm »
Same here with my iPad and updating to iOS 8!!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2014, 07:08:43 am »
I didn't even ungrade knowingly, its just that I was getting constant messages asking me if I wanted to update my apps and I just clicked update everything.

Yessss... that was rather sneaky.  OS upgrades ought to be shown as such, and not simply put in the software upgrades box.

In fact, it's usually other progs that cause issues when you upgrade, as some software producers take short cuts, which then fall foul of changes to the OS. There's also quite a lot you can do to keep things running smoothly and quickly. One thing that's worth knowing is that the more items you have on the desktop, the slower your Mac will start.  That's because the finder treats each desktop item as a separate window, so a lot of things left there can slow the thing down significantly.

In advance of Yosemite they've just pushed out a big security update. That's an important one, but once it's installed it's a good idea to restart your computer.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:22 am »
I installed Yosemite over the weekend, no problems at all.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2014, 10:09:04 am »
Well, in ghat case, I might take the plunge. I'll probably pop it on the other other HDs, first, though. I can slowly transfer stuff as time goes on, that way.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2014, 10:57:39 pm »
The Apple elves have been whilst I was at work!

Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2014, 08:09:09 am »
Nice.  Even unwrapping Apple stuff is a delightful experience.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2014, 09:16:11 am »
Congratulations SDQ, very smart setup, the mirror? ....is that to keep a check on your big  :D

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2014, 09:30:28 am »
 ££$  SDQ. Smart boy! Great feeling when something arrives in the post that you have been looking forward to receiving.