Author Topic: Apple iMac  (Read 40930 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Apple iMac
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:44 am »
Just treated myself to the 27" iMac, an incredibly fast monster of a computer.  ZXZ

I've been toying with the idea of getting one for quite a while but the hard drive is only 1TB & they've removed all the optical drives. My home broadband is s***e to say the least so streaming & cloud computing is not really an option for me so I'm not really sure whether to take the plunge.
They look a brilliant piece of kit though, especially if you wall mount the monitor.
I always keep data on the external hard drives anyway (2 x 3tb), so the 1tb internal drive isn't a problem.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2014, 08:59:53 am »
Just treated myself to the 27" iMac, an incredibly fast monster of a computer.  ZXZ

I've been toying with the idea of getting one for quite a while but the hard drive is only 1TB & they've removed all the optical drives. My home broadband is s***e to say the least so streaming & cloud computing is not really an option for me so I'm not really sure whether to take the plunge.
They look a brilliant piece of kit though, especially if you wall mount the monitor.
I always keep data on the external hard drives anyway (2 x 3tb), so the 1tb internal drive isn't a problem.

Maybe if I do that from scratch with all my music it won't mess up my iTunes account like my PC did a while ago. If I'm correct my iTunes Match will download my collection straight from Apple instead of having to manually re-load it all again.
Damn you DaveR, looks like you've just made me spend a lot of money. And I've only just ordered the new iPhone!
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2014, 09:05:49 am »
Damn you DaveR, looks like you've just made me spend a lot of money.
*bows*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2014, 09:19:40 am »
Maybe if I do that from scratch with all my music it won't mess up my iTunes account like my PC did a while ago. If I'm correct my iTunes Match will download my collection straight from Apple instead of having to manually re-load it all again.

Once you sign in to the Apple store or iTunes with your Apple ID it'll all download in the background.  The iMacs also have Thunderbolt 2 connectors, so buying a couple of really big drives (3 or 4TB) is always the best option. Folderwatch, BTW. is an excellent app that will monitor any folder anywhere and keep it the same as your master drive.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:05 am »
Folderwatch, BTW. is an excellent app that will monitor any folder anywhere and keep it the same as your master drive.
Interesting, will have to take a look at that.  $thanx$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2014, 11:10:57 pm »
*bows*

Oh well, finally ordered my iMac. I hope it was worth the wait.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2014, 07:33:19 am »
Keep us updated when it arrives.  And you have the services of a growing number of Apple users on here if you encounter any problems.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2014, 09:08:14 am »
*bows*

Congratulations on joining the iMac cult...  ZXZ

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2014, 10:14:02 am »
*bows*

Congratulations on joining the iMac cult...  ZXZ

The new 27" 5k display looks an amazing piece of kit.
Instead of buying an external hard drive I upgraded to the 3TB fusion drive, that should be enough for my needs.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:31 am »
It should be, but the big advantage of an external drive (which are all cheap, now) is that it's great for intensive tasks, such as running movies from, or as a stand by in case the internal ever goes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2014, 10:27:06 am »
The new 27" 5k display looks an amazing piece of kit.
Instead of buying an external hard drive I upgraded to the 3TB fusion drive, that should be enough for my needs.
Mmmm...Retina display on the iMac. Shame I've already just bought a 27" one.  :rage:

Yes, the 3TB Fusion Drive should be very fast indeed.

I also see that Apple has launched the latest version of iOS, Yosemite. The iCloud Drive feature should be very useful.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/16/apple-releases-newest-mac-os-yosemite-download

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2014, 10:48:45 am »
It should be, but the big advantage of an external drive (which are all cheap, now) is that it's great for intensive tasks, such as running movies from, or as a stand by in case the internal ever goes.

With everything stored in the iCloud I thought that would act as a stand by & the fusion drive is supposed to be almost as fast as SSD so I'm hoping it can handle everything I need to throw at it.
I guess only time will tell on that front but I could always get an external HD in the future if I think I need it. I just thought it would save clutter keeping everything on the larger built in HD.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »
The fusion drive buffers data when the system assumes it'll be needed, so it will appear almost instantly. Should be nice.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »
   Really, our moderators and one or two others are posting in a VERY high tech manner, a lot of which is only partially understood me. And I have a Mac, and its little brother the iPad.
But whats this yosemite? Do you plug it, play it or eat it? Don't bother answering that.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2014, 07:23:33 pm »
   Just thought.  Apple with yosemite. Sounds tasty. Better than an ice cream sandwich