Author Topic: Apple iMac  (Read 40771 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Apple iMac
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »
Trojan virus's starting to affect Apple products.... this is the first time its been known I believe?

Story here,  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »
There is a replicating Trojan going round at the moment.  I have received the mail three times from someone I know, so I presume they are unaware that they are infected.

If the mail, which only contains a link and a lot of addresses that it has been sent to, appears don't click on the link - just delete  the mail.  Virus software does not seem to be picking it up and it is resending itself using your address book.     $angry$

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2012, 08:20:39 am »
Trojan virus's starting to affect Apple products.... this is the first time its been known I believe?

No - proof of concept trojans have been known about for a while, but none has ever been found doing anything malicious, although it will - some day - possibly happen.  The bigger risk is that the criminals are becoming more cunning and installing things that allow them not only to pinch your passwords but also misdirect your machine to false web sites that look exactly like the real thing.  This is one reason why the banks are issuing you with the little code generating gizmos that churn out a number based on prime number computations that the bank's own web sites can recognise but which the criminals can't anticipate. The other ploy is that banks are now routinely changing the front pages of the web site on a daily basis.  My bank's web site is never the same two days running.

The code generator  or 'Digipass' works like this: The digipass displays a numerical code or ‘token’ that is also calculated by a server at your bank. If the two numbers match, you gain access to the system as a user. The server at your bank and your digipass work in the same way. They both have a synchronised, internal clock. They also use the same serial number and algorithm based on Primes. The digipass uses the time, the serial number and the algorithm to calculate a new code every minute. The server at your bank does the same thing at the same time. In that way, the computer knows what numerical code your digipass has calculated and, if it is correct, allows you to access your account.

The numerical code is only valid for one minute. That makes the digipass much safer than a traditional password. What’s more, nobody can use your digipass without your pin code.  Cunning :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:26 am »
I was going to say that myself but my spell checker just couldn't cope with such technical stuff!    Thanks Ian.    $good$
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:19 am »
Apple say that half a million Mac's have been invaded by Trojans, but they are dealing with it...

More here.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17675314
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 07:53:21 am »
It's a sneaky one, that masquerades as a Flash Updater.  Easy to sort, however, and thankfully rather rare. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 08:24:52 am »
If you use Little Snitch, then the virus wouldn't have loaded anyway:

On execution, the malware checks if the following path exists in the system:

/Library/Little Snitch
/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode
/Applications/VirusBarrier X6.app
/Applications/iAntiVirus/iAntiVirus.app
/Applications/avast!.app
/Applications/ClamXav.app
/Applications/HTTPScoop.app
/Applications/Packet Peeper.app
If any of these are found, the malware will skip the rest of its routine and proceed to delete itself.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 09:04:19 am »
I woldn't be without Little Snitch. Essential software.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 07:40:20 am »
Apropos the Mac Flashback Trojan, here's  a free removal tool:

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002346.html

The problem with this malware for Macs is that it's drive by; you only have to visit an infected site, which are mostly unwitting WordPress blogs, according to the security folk.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »
   Hello all u tech guys on the forum,
     Its all about ---- SHOULD I TAKE THE PLUNGE  ---  and go down the apple route with a Mac.
     I've been more or less non stop with Windows since 1995 (apart from times with no pc at all) and during that time I have heard all about the Mac. I know several of you on the forum whoswear by them, as do plenty of other Mac owners I know.
    But in the past I've never had the cash, and probably more important Ive never had the time to study the changeover.
    But now, as a lot of you know, Ive been a bit dicky health wise and my Doctor is pulling a face about me wandering around Goa without medical insurance. Maybe, they say, a month or two after Xmas, but who knows.  So now I've got the time.
   As to the money, Ive had a bad season financially, but, on the other hand, living in Goa saves a fortune against living in the U.K. All you have to bear in mind is the cost of the flights and visas.  Overall I'm probabl no better off staying here or going.
  So now is the decision time, to Mac or not.   Any advice from you unnamed Mac owners would be appreciated.  Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2012, 06:33:50 pm »
Hi Mike,  personally I would stay with what you know and are used to, especially if it will do what you want of it.

On the other hand if you want to indulge yourself then treat yourself to a Mac!   ;)
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2012, 07:39:59 pm »
   Thanks Yorkie.  Yes, I suppose I am used to windows but I am still very much learning because my computer use fluctuates all the time---one year on and aoff all the time---the next year hardl at all. Not planned, just how it turns out.
   But my laptops (Ive got four if you throw in my ipad) are all a bit jaded, like me. Why have I got three? Well they are all used for different purposes i.e. a small tablet as the master for my ipad.
   But Ive been surprised at the ebay prices on 4 year old Macs, they appear to be as cheap if not cheaper than say a Dell with windows. At the moment I feel inclined to go in with say £300 and try one. Then its not the end of the world if its not much good.  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2012, 08:42:58 pm »
Let me know which one you're interested in, Mike, and I'll tell you if its any good. Bear in mind that a Mac does nothing different from a PC, it just generally does it better and more reliably.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2012, 09:56:25 pm »
The differences between Macs/Windows/Linux Pcs. that any consumer without a great deal of knowledge about computers should consider before buying a new pc, in a nutshell. Roughly:

Mac: Good operating system built on a good platform - expensive, but it works, it is very stable & is not as prone to crashes/viruses/spyware as a Windows pc.
Bear in mind that there are quite a few applications/programs that can be used in windows that cannot be used in a Mac environment or may be difficult to install.

Windows: Good operating system built on a not-so-good platform, Vista/7/8 not quite as prone to crashes as the earlier versions - XP & lower. cheap, still prone to most viruses/spyware. Most applications/programs are simple to install.

Linux: Free. Good operating system built on a good platform, very stable & is pretty immune to most viruses/spyware. It very rarely crashes.
BUT unless you are just using your pc for office type applications emailing & surfing then linux can be quite difficult to use.
Old obsolete pcs can be given a new lease of life if used with a linux operating system.
I personally use Puppy Linux which is quite simple to use, download the cd version, burn it to cd/dvd & boot your pc with it. It will not touch your current op system - - in other words, if you take the disc out & reboot your pc, it will boot as normal.

My opinion is to try linux from a bootable cd/dvd (free) It will make your pc seem mega fast. If this doesnt do what you need, then, as Yorkie says, go for what you know (windows).
if you want to indulge yourself & have the money then treat yourself to a Mac - it wont let you down!! (probably)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2012, 10:13:02 pm »
   Thanks for your replies. I quote "if you've got the money, treat yourself etc"   One of my laptops is a Dell Latitude 620, its old and has problems, both software and hardware.  To buy a refurbished same model would cost around £150 (ebay).  An Apple Macbook laptop around the same age would cost around £300.  So I'm not thinking of splashing a fortune, for the difference in price £150 I thought --- why not give it a go.
  Thanks again, I am inclined to dip my toe in the water at the bottom end of the price range for 3/4 rs old one and take a chance. At least I should learn something about them  Mike