Author Topic: Apple iMac  (Read 37864 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Apple iMac
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 10:25:42 pm »
My iPhone has upgraded successfully after about an hour and a bit.

SDQ, can you backup your iPhone via itunes installed on your new pc? If you connect your phone, cancel any messages about upgrading for now, then find the phone in the left hand list, right click on it and select 'backup'. You should be able to back up everything on your phone to your new pc. When that is done, disconnect, reconnect the iPhone and proceed with the upgrade.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »
    O.K. Dave, I will give you a rest.   (For other readers, I have got into the habit of emailing DaveR direct with all my tech problems, of which I have many.)

Getting back to my first model ipad. I bought it "Sim Free." I understand that means it is not locked in to any internet provider (Vodaphone etc) and it has no sim card.

But I have now been told by Vodaphone staff that if I put one of their sim cards into it, it is then "locked" to Vodaphone and I wont be able to use any other companies sims. I asked "Well how about my visit to India. If I take it with me without any sim card in it, buy one in India, use it there---what when I come back to U.K.?" The answer was, you wont be able to. The assistant did add that I could get it unlocked, but it cost a lot of cash.

Any member that knows anything about micro sim cards and ipads got any ideas?

One of the main reasons I bought it was to avoid an £800 vodaphone bill I ran up last winter.  Mike

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:17 pm »
SDQ, can you backup your iPhone via itunes installed on your new pc?

Sorry Dave, I can't find any option in iTunes to backup the phone. I found a 'Transfer Purchases' option but once I'd done it everything I transferred was greyed out as if it recognised them but won't let me do anything with them. Every time I try any sort of editing it says 'The phone is synced with another library, an iPhone can only be synced with one iTunes library at a time and if I try syncing it will erase it and replace it with the contents in this library'
The odd thing is that when I first loaded the phone on this computer it allowed me to update the phone to OS4.3.5 which I needed to enable my Sky Go app. but the OS5 is a no-go! I can't be the only person in the world with a broken computer in this situation, you'd think Apple would recognise the fact that some people lose everything and have no Backup to refer to and allow some way of changing computers and transferring everything on the device to a new iTunes library, especially as I'm using the existing account. I recognise that this is done to stop file-sharing but surely a one-off transfer to change computers should be allowed as a lot of people change computers every few years. I don't know anyone who is still using the first computer they bought and most are on their third or fourth PC so it's an ongoing problem.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 07:27:01 am »
Summary

Learn how to configure sync in iTunes to transfer content between your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and your computer. In addition to creating a backup, a sync with your computer allows you to manage contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on your computer.
Products Affected

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

If you are already managing your content with iCloud on your computer and iOS device, you can manage the data from iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Learn more about iCloud. When syncing with your computer, you can sync with the USB cable that came with your device, or over Wi-Fi when the computer and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network.
iTunes and App Store content

iTunes Store and App Store content on your iOS device may not automatically transfer to your computer. You can use the Transfer Purchases option in iTunes to ensure that all iTunes Store and App Store content is transferred to your iTunes library. Learn about transferring purchased content.
Photos

You can import photos or video taken or saved on the iOS device. Information on importing photos and videos is available in the iPhone User Guide, iPad User Guide, or iPod touch User Guide. You can find additional information on importing your photos from your iOS device in this article.

Note: You cannot transfer photos that you synced to your iOS device from another computer. You can only transfer photos or videos that you took or saved on the iOS device.

If you are experiencing difficulty with syncing, or have made a large number of changes on your computer, you can use the Advanced option to replace the information on the iOS device during the next sync. These options will become deselected after the next sync. When you replace the data on the device, it will overwrite the data on the device. This action cannot be undone.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 07:29:34 am »
One option might be to download all the music from your iPhone onto your computer, then simply re-create a new library.  To download from an iPhone or iPod, you need Senuti.  At least that way you won't lose anything.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 09:47:20 pm »
    O.K. Dave, I will give you a rest.   (For other readers, I have got into the habit of emailing DaveR direct with all my tech problems, of which I have many.)

Getting back to my first model ipad. I bought it "Sim Free." I understand that means it is not locked in to any internet provider (Vodaphone etc) and it has no sim card.

But I have now been told by Vodaphone staff that if I put one of their sim cards into it, it is then "locked" to Vodaphone and I wont be able to use any other companies sims. I asked "Well how about my visit to India. If I take it with me without any sim card in it, buy one in India, use it there---what when I come back to U.K.?" The answer was, you wont be able to. The assistant did add that I could get it unlocked, but it cost a lot of cash.

Any member that knows anything about micro sim cards and ipads got any ideas?

One of the main reasons I bought it was to avoid an £800 vodaphone bill I ran up last winter.  Mike
I wouldn't have thought that would be the case, Mike. The sim card shouldnt be able to change the software within the ipad and you should be able to just swap sim cards as often as you want. Regardles, you can always use the wifi option, of course.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »
I've just bought a MacBook Pro laptop on Ebay, an excellent machine. I've also had to buy a new external hard drive after two WD external drives failed in the space of two months, both were less than 6 months old as well.  They didn't seem to like working with the Mac very much.  $angry$ I bought an Iomega 2TB drive this time, with a FireWire 800 connection for superfast transfers.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 07:03:34 am »
It hasn't got Thunderbolt, then?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:15 am »
I'm sure the Mac has the connection for it but the range of suitable hard drives is very limited. The extra speed would be nice but its not essential at the moment, most of my photo files are 10mb or less.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 03:42:51 pm »
It's not just speed;  Thunderbolt is an inclusive connection, so everything you need runs down a single cable.  Rather neat :-))

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 07:23:46 pm »
I've just upgraded to an iPhone4, so plugged in my old 3GS to charge it up prior to selling it on to an unsuspecting kiosk owner.  8)

So, I'm in the other room when there's a bang and the power trips out. I reset the power and discover that the iPhone charger has blown up. It went with a good enough bang to not only leave black marks all over the charger/cable but also propelled the cable out of the charger onto the floor.

Fortunately, the iPhone itself appears undamaged.  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 07:59:22 pm »
Busy now looking on ebay for a new charger then?  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
I have a spare that came with the new iPhone. You can also just charge it by plugging the usb cable into the Mac, which is useful.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 12:14:07 am »
This unsuspecting Kiosk owner is now most concerned as to his personal safety.

Exploding Apples?  whatever next.  :o
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 06:42:22 am »
Try a punnet of blackberries instead!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas