Author Topic: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street  (Read 28241 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2012, 08:44:44 am »
I go past the Coach Park nearly every day. It's usually nearly empty. Yesterday, there was a grand total of 1 coach in at 3pm.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 10:59:03 am »
I go past the Coach Park nearly every day. It's usually nearly empty. Yesterday, there was a grand total of 1 coach in at 3pm.

I'm not surprised.  Coaches have to park at the coach park in Builder Street after dropping off their passengers in Mostyn Broadway.  They then start picking up at Mostyn Broadway from about 3.30 onwards and it can get a bit crowded from then on.   Drop off times are from about 10.00 until lunchtime with the peak from 10.30 to 12.30 so there will always be quiet times when the park is little utilised.  I speak from first hand experience of this facility.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 10:46:54 am »
During a recession the businesses that survive are those that provide a quality product with excellent customer service because people want true value for their money in getting a product that will last.  Is this what you find in Llandudno?

When the new Conference Centre was built several years ago now (In the days of the Tourist Board) there was a call for a new 5* Hotel to cater for upmarket guests.  However it was agreed that it would then take business away from existing hotels. So grants were made available to Hotels to upgrade. Most of the Hotels decided that they were not prepared to match the grants as they could not be guaranteed that their investment would enhance their businesses.  They chose instead to stick with the Turkey and Tinsel Brigade via the pensioners' coach parties as they felt that these contracts were reliable. But as a previous poster has said, these demographics do not benefit the town as the coaches whisk them off to other areas and the hotels also provide their own entertainment.  Meanwhile the younger people of the town and young family visitors are poorly catered for, and they are the ones who spend. For once you can't blame the council for that - just people who like to cling to the past.  The younger ones go out of town to the Parc to spend their money - or even further afield.

Since Venue Cymru revamped please name one event or conference they have attracted that would have justified having a 5* hotel to support it?
As for grants being made available for upgrading, what Planet have you been living on? Visit Wales said there were grants available but as a small business you try getting one. They were given to the large establishments because it was easier for Visit Wales to administer one grant of millions rather than 100 grants of thousands.
We listened to Visit Wales, we took their advice. We upgraded AT OUR OWN EXPENCE to 4 Star standard and what has happened; nobody will pay the fair asking price to stay in the upgraded rooms. Everyone is looking for a bargain. Should have saved my hard earned money and retired last year.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »
Visit Wales have alot to answer for------ they think everyone is made of money.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline viv

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:54 pm »
I think that Tourism and Leisure staff were thinking that Venue Cymru was going to be a hive of activity for conferences as it would be the only sizeable building in the area to be able to host them  -such as political party conferences - and they would demand high class accommodation As we now know, these have not materialised (well very occasionally) so the businesses who invested were let down.Venue Cymru needs a better marketing strategy in times when all businesses are cutting costs and can't afford jollys!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 07:53:47 am »
Now that jessops looks like it might dissapear from Llandudno high street and HMV can;t be far behind when is somebody from CCBC going to suggest a solution,a plan,some scheme or just a rescue package,any one of those would show they are looking at the problem.Stead and Simpson are still going so they must have left due to rates,rents etc,Game where saved from admin but did not re-open here,why?,i think we know the answer,Llandudno landlords have priced buissnesses out of town.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 07:56:32 am »
Reading is useing some empty shops to recreate scenes from the film Zombies,where could we find 30 Zombies to re-create the film scenes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 08:48:08 am »
Got a good idea, but I'll let someone else make the suggestion !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:17 am »
Got a good idea, but I'll let someone else make the suggestion !

Us lot on the Three Towns Forum?  Especially if you have seen DaveR's recent make up job.    :D
Very gruesome it was!  8)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:06 am »
    I suppose all bankruptcies are sad, but I think with Jessops one fact in particular. They provided a marvellous opportunity for youngsters with an interest in photography to gain experience with the tackle they use. On a regular basis they offered the chance for a student, probably from the Llandrillo tech, to spend the day behind their counter dealing with customers problems. No doubt unpaid, but that is by the way.
    Another advantage for the student apart from experience in handling the cameras. I am sure DaveR will agree with me. One of the photographers skills is the ability to put the human subject at ease. In other words to be good at handling a variety of people. Where better to learn this than behind a counter? Mike

Offline Ian48

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 12:08:08 pm »
I sometimes think that a number of people here think that it is within the power of the county council and councillors to do absolutely everything, that they are some kind of omnipotent force, able to perform feats of alchemy in the service of their citizens.

Unfortunately, they are not able to stop retail chains falling into administration, they are not able to command the people of Conwy to spend their money in shops that they do not want to, and it is not within their power to force landlords to charge lower rents.

I think people need to sometimes realise that. I don't love the council and think they could do a lot better in certain areas, but I doubt many people in Bodlondeb rub their hands with glee when they see an empty shop and wish beyond anything that Llandudno were some derelict ghost town...

There are lots of towns and cities in the UK in a far worse state than Llandudno and things aren't that bad, we should count ourselves lucky in many respects. Yes, things could be better, but let's not talk the town down eh?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:38 pm »
Well said, Ian.  $good$

Offline Sara

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »
There is an advert on the Jobcentre website for a "Sales Expert" for Jessops. Was put on yesterday.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:32 pm »
Ian48 - thanks for some common sense.  Conwy Council undoubtedly has its faults as do most public bodies but it cannot possibly control the national economy or private commercial rentals.  If anyone wants to see a really run-down commercial area have a look at Swansea High Street some time.  By the way,  aren't commercial rates set by Welsh Government not the local authorities ?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 07:31:54 pm »
You can’t stop progress, the Saboteurs in France; the Luddites in the UK, are both proof enough of that, during earlier Centuries when we were going through great periods of change. The Internet is here to stay more and more of us are finding it easier, more convenient, safer, cheaper, warmer and comfortable to use. So unless there is a radical solution to Business Rates and high Property Rental / Leasing costs, which make the High Street so uncompetitive, it’s only a question of time until it’s consigned to the History Books. Except for Coffee Shops of course.      :'(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)