Author Topic: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street  (Read 26601 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: New Irish bar opening soon??!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 06:00:25 pm »
 It has to be the parade but i don;t think they have done much to it, no big money spent.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »
I initially thought it was the Parade, but was told recently it was Cooneys. We shall see.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 11:01:43 am »
I initially thought it was the Parade, but was told recently it was Cooneys. We shall see.
Cooney's Irish Bar will be opening next Wednesday. Cooneys is having 'a full make-over, with a new menu and new entertainment'.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »
 A quality store like Bettys in Harrogate or many i have seen in places like Keswick would make a fortune in Llandudno but there seems to be no local buissness people prepared to invest in quality when it comes to tearooms and gift shops, now most people travel on this forum and we all love looking in Harrods, or visiting Bettys in Harrogate both World famous and im certain something along those lines would be a gold mine in Llandudno, quaility. What reasons do you think the local investors have never gone for this concept ?.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:42 pm »
A quality store like Bettys in Harrogate or many i have seen in places like Keswick would make a fortune in Llandudno but there seems to be no local buissness people prepared to invest in quality when it comes to tearooms and gift shops, now most people travel on this forum and we all love looking in Harrods, or visiting Bettys in Harrogate both World famous and im certain something along those lines would be a gold mine in Llandudno, quaility. What reasons do you think the local investors have never gone for this concept ?.
Well, people like the Hambone invested a fair bit in their new cafe/restaurant. You're right, though, we don't seem to have too many heavy hitters prepared to put up significant amounts of money to set up a truly outstanding business. Lack of suitable properties is also a bit of a problem.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 09:59:55 pm »
I think probably part of the reason for that is the main demographic that visits Llandudno. Many of them are pensioners from the North West and the Potteries who are on tight budgets. They have money to spend in Billy Lal etc, but not somewhere like Betty's or Harrods.

Llandudno should really market itself at a higher end market as it could make a killing! The hotels etc should also be encouraged to improve themselves. I really think fewer hotels and better quality is the way to go. There are far too many large hotels chasing a fairly poor demographic, hence cheap, poor quality hotels (having a rather moribund hospitality assoc doesn't help).

Right now, we have the Local Plan coming in which will protect a large area of hotels in Llandudno from other developments and I think this is wrong. If we take a case a few years ago, the Ormescliffe hoped to turn itself into high-quality apartments, but this was refused. I fail to see why, as rather have good quality housing than mediocre hotels that are never full.

If we look at Scarborough, they took the decision a few years ago to go for quality rather than quantity and have reaped the benefits. We should be attracting weekenders from the cities and foreign tourists who have money to spend and high quality shops will follow. Look at a hotel like Escape and how well that is doing.

I am sure I may sound a snob, but I'm convinced that for the future of the town, it needs to up its quality factor. It has the architecture, the scenery and the countryside and could do so, so well....if only it was given a bigger boost.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 11:39:38 pm »
Im no expert and im sure a lot of what you say is true ,as for the lack of property i think the empty units next to Mr Dickens chippy in St Goerges place with its veranda;s, next to the St Georges hotel would be perfect. Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 03:38:32 pm »
Im no expert and im sure a lot of what you say is true ,as for the lack of property i think the empty units next to Mr Dickens chippy in St Goerges place with its veranda;s, next to the St Georges hotel would be perfect. Z**
Bit small, Wrex.  ;)

Offline Jack

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 03:43:55 pm »
Llandudno should really market itself at a higher end market as it could make a killing! The hotels etc should also be encouraged to improve themselves. I really think fewer hotels and better quality is the way to go. There are far too many large hotels chasing a fairly poor demographic, hence cheap, poor quality hotels (having a rather moribund hospitality assoc doesn't help).

Right now, we have the Local Plan coming in which will protect a large area of hotels in Llandudno from other developments and I think this is wrong. If we take a case a few years ago, the Ormescliffe hoped to turn itself into high-quality apartments, but this was refused. I fail to see why, as rather have good quality housing than mediocre hotels that are never full.

One side effect of having fewer hotels but of a higher quality is what happens to the smaller guesthouses and b&bs that would inevitably close.  These properties don't readily lend themselves to family homes as they are too big, have no gardens and often no off road parking.  Therefore as has already happened in some parts of town the old guest houses are turned in to flats and flatlets and homes in multiple occupation.  Of course some of these are of high quality and the owners of these are to be applauded but very many aren't and are rented out to an undesirable element, many unemployed, some with drink and drug problems etc etc and before you know it you have another Rhyl.  Not everyone can afford and wants to pay top end prices, there needs to be a wide range of accomodation types for Llandudno to thrive from self catering right through to 5*.  In fact it has always been a criticism that although there is a conference centre there is no 5* hotel attatched to it to attract the biggest and best conferences.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 04:15:09 pm »
Yet again in a comment to this Forum we see that word "undesirables"!

NO ONE IS NESSECCERILY IN THE POSITION THEY ARE IN DUE TO THEIR OWN FAULT!  AND THERE IS NO NEED TO REFER TO PEOPLE WITH DRUG OR ALCOHOL OR HOMELESS PROBLEMS IN SUCH A MANNER.

In this country there are, even in this town and probably in your street, those who have such problems and maybe if lady luck had not smiled on you, you could be one of them yourself.   
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline TELL

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 04:46:49 pm »
They may not be undesiable to you Yorkie, but they are to a lot of us. Just typing in caps does not make it correct.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 04:52:53 pm »
'PEOPLE WITH DRUG OR ALCOHOL OR HOMELESS'

That fits with my idea of 'undesirable'  also these 'anti capitalists' fit in with undesirable too!

May well not be their fault and I wish them a speedy recovery but I do not want them living near me.

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Jack

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 05:00:26 pm »

In this country there are, even in this town and probably in your street, those who have such problems and maybe if lady luck had not smiled on you, you could be one of them yourself.

You are right Yorkie, my street is full of them, in my opinion they are not desirable neighbours thus are 'undesirable'.  Living day to day with the noise, abuse and anti-social behaviour grinds hard working, law abiding citizens like myself down.  When I bought the house the neighbouring property was a prosperous guest house, it has since been sold and badly converted into flats, not a day passes by that myself, wife and kids are not affected in some way or another.  My neighbours do have drug and drink issues and I find them undesirable, just to clarify.

Note to administrators, I apologise as this has nothing to do with 'Reviving the High Street' thread  :(

Offline TELL

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 05:26:57 pm »
"anti capitalists' fit in with undesirable too".
Merddin, if that was intended in response to my comment to Yorkie, it is very clever!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:51 pm »
"anti capitalists' fit in with undesirable too".
Merddin, if that was intended in response to my comment to Yorkie, it is very clever!

;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas