Author Topic: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street  (Read 26598 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street
« on: May 20, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »
The decline of the High Street in recent years has caused much concern locally. In both Llandudno and Colwyn Bay, there are now large numbers of empty shop units, some of which have been vacant for several years. Undoubtedly, the high levels of both Rent and Business Rates are the most significant factor in this - opening a small shop on Mostyn Street, Llandudno, could mean a yearly outlay of nearly £70,000 in just Rent & Rates.The smaller Chains that used to inhabit these shops are slowly disappearing as more and more sales move online.  Is it simply a matter of waiting for Landlords to eventually give in and lower their rents significantly or can more be done?

Everyone agrees that there should be more independent, local businesses on the High Street but how many of them can afford to make the gamble of moving from a side street to the High Street? Should there be a form of enhanced Business Rate Relief for independent businesses taking a High Street shop? Or do we need to look at other uses for these premises, more cafes maybe?

Tell us what you think.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:03:08 am by Ian »

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:19:06 pm »
 and there goes another one  j d sports moving to the park

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:27:10 pm »
My contribution is only negative, I'm afraid. I would say no more cafes, there are enough but not too many already. Not much help am I

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:33 pm »
I think there is more bad news to come, to be honest. Next Clearance are closing in July when their lease expires. The lease on Burtons corner is available. Perhaps most worryingly of all, HMV's financial problems mean they are very likely to close over a hundred of their stores.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:06:32 am »
I think there is more bad news to come, to be honest.

Vince Cable supports that view. In effect, he's just been saying that the trouble we're all in is not simply to do with the banks' mishandling of the economy, but also the entire globally linked economy, where the two strongest emerging nations - China and India - are producing much better stuff for much less, and it may only be a matter of time before they accomplish that with the markets as well.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:41:43 am »
 :( Was there not talk of the Town council paying a town manager too help with all these problems[of course just talk].No matter how much the blame Parc Llandudno brigade go on ,if we did not have the Parc Bangor would be miles ahead now,i must admit i have not been into the center since they rebuilt the old Wellfield site i do go to Dunhelm mill,T K Maxx and Matalan quite often on the outskirts so i do think Bangor is ahead of us so Llandudno needs to keep up.Every town center has lots of empty shops which can not be blamed on Llandudno;s Parc Llandudno There is no evidence that if  we had not kept up with Bangor ,Llandudno town center would still be full,i think Gwynedd shoppers would not bother passing Bangor without Parc Llandudno. Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:25:18 am »
Is it the case that without Parc Llandudno, Mostyn Street would have fewer empty shops? Almost certainly. But that is not to say that Parc Llandudno is a bad thing, many of the units provide the sheer square footage that is simply not available on Mostyn Street. What's perhaps more pertinent is that the cost per square footage is actually cheaper on Parc Llandudno than most of Mostyn Street. If the Landlords would just admit defeat and lower their rents (coupled with some sort of enhanced Business Rate Relief), then we could see a real resurgence in the family owned, independent businesses along Mostyn Street, with most of the larger chains being based in Parc Llandudno.

Offline Sara

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 07:47:57 pm »
Mothercare in the Victoria Centre could be under threat. The retailer is planning to close approx 110 high street stores so it can concentrate on out-of-town centres.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 12:19:39 am »
Is it the case that without Parc Llandudno, Mostyn Street would have fewer empty shops? Almost certainly. But that is not to say that Parc Llandudno is a bad thing, many of the units provide the sheer square footage that is simply not available on Mostyn Street. What's perhaps more pertinent is that the cost per square footage is actually cheaper on Parc Llandudno than most of Mostyn Street. If the Landlords would just admit defeat and lower their rents (coupled with some sort of enhanced Business Rate Relief), then we could see a real resurgence in the family owned, independent businesses along Mostyn Street, with most of the larger chains being based in Parc Llandudno.

I agree (almost) entirely.
My belief is that exhorbitant rents and rates are a huge deterrent to any new business venture, (coupled with the impossible barriers to borrowing money) so I fear there are many more closures to come.
However, if you have a good idea, good offer and sensible pricing, people will still spend money with you.
The world has changed, and so has the 'divine right' to credit. You must have a sensible business proposal to get your hands on the capital required.
My question on this subject is, is there any other seaside town that is tackling this subject properly and making progress?
Or are we seeing a chronic decline that just happens to be happening to Llandudno, like every other town?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 11:44:32 am »
 :(With the amount of shops empty and some have been empty for years there seems like no hurry  by any of the landlords to do buisness,there has to be some tax dodge,or relief for these conglomerates to be happy to see their properties empty for years even in the case of Boots and spending thousands on scaffolding alone looking after them. Z**

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »
Maybe new ventures should aim at holiday makers visiting shops rather than people who shop for the sake of shopping. These are probably in declining numbers -who see Llandudno as a place to go shopping and  have never been near the Orme.

Upper Mostyn street is looking good these days with the addition of Listers and the Deli

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:09:39 pm »
http://www.reimagineyourhighstreet.org/

"Reimagine your High Street is the antidote to Clone Town Britain. Through short workshops or our long-term programme we work with residents, businesses and local government to create town centres that are sustainable community hubs, where people go to meet each other, not just to shop."

Offline silv

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: New Irish bar opening soon??!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:08 am »
In Cooneys, I believe...  ;)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: New Irish bar opening soon??!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 11:05:37 am »
and not the Parade?