Author Topic: Have Your Say: Overseas Aid  (Read 25968 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Have Your Say: Overseas Aid
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 10:27:25 am »
From my perspective, many of these so called third World countries do little to help themselves.   Every time there is a so called crisis all we see are pictures of thousand of women with even more thousands of young children.  Perhaps if they got to cultivating food and doing a bit of building, and manufacturing whatever they could, instead of procreating, they could help themselves towards financial stability!

Why we should give all our hard earned cash to all these useless people is beyond me!

I have no problem with assisting with disasters, but even so think that the recipients should earn the right to such relief.

Corruption and mis-use of funds should also be stamped out.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys.

My viewpoint is that I am sure that there are some superb projects funded by our overseas aid budget.
Such things as education and drinking water provision are worthy things to support and invest in.
After all, no one can stand by whilst a child starves or dies for the want of a 10p tablet to cleanse water.

However, my main concern is that it is growing at am alarming rate,  at a time when spending here in the UK is being reined in.
Given the levels of corruption and mismanagement in some of these countries, (and in the UK too!) I have real misgivings about how much of this £12 billion actually gets to the needy.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:46 pm »
from what i heard this morning £400 a year of every tax payers money goes to this fund and we give £200million to India and Pakistan who are developing nuclear weapons and letting the poverty grow out of control, i want my £400  back please.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 07:21:31 am »
we give £200million to India and Pakistan who are developing nuclear weapons and letting the poverty grow out of control,

They're not 'developing' nuclear weapons;  they've had them for years.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Kowalski

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »
Hear, hear, why can't we invade these uncivilised countries, take our money back and then rule them like colonial overlords. The subhumans don't deserve any better.

It's political correctness gone mad that we can't invade these inferior creatures. I mean they come over here expecting to be given fleet of Rolls Royces and a solid gold mansion with servants AT OUR EXPENSE. They come over here expecting the likes of us to chauffeur the likes them around AT OUR EXPENSE. They come over here expecting us to put them up in 7 star hotels for eternity AT OUR EXPENSE. Yeah and we're the mugs what give it to them. It's Political Correctness gone mad.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »
Kowalski, your sarcasm is noted, but what is your ACTUAL opinion?

We might actually find that interesting.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »
I was having a coffee in Next in Bangor today and there was a copy of Ian's favourite paper the DFM on the table.    Thinking Ian may be coming back to collect his paper I didn't read it but couldn't help but notice an article which  said that:

An Ethiopian farmer was today given permission to use thousands of pounds of taxpayer’s money to sue the British government…for sending international aid to his homeland.

The ‘farcical case’ – which has provoked fury at Westminster - will be entirely funded by the British public.

The UK taxpayer must pick up the bill for both the farmer’s lawyers and a defence team from the Department for International Development.

It's just unbelievable!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2691750/Ethiopian-farmer-given-taxpayers-money-sue-Britain-sending-international-aid-homeland.html#ixzz37YwZtfew
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 07:39:44 pm »
Thinking Ian may be coming back to collect his paper I didn't read it

_))* _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »
All these Legal Challenges are solely engineered by the Legal Profession themselves.  Ban Solicitors, Lawyers, Barristers and their entourages and we can be relieved of the constant pantomimes in the Courts.
 Z** ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
Mind you, nothing's quite what it seems:

DFM:
An Ethiopian farmer was today given permission to use thousands of pounds of taxpayer’s money to sue the British government…for sending international aid to his homeland.

or...

Sane news sources:
n Monday, a high court judge ruled that "Mr O", an Ethiopian farmer who claims that British aid helped fund a brutal forced resettlement programme in his home country, has an arguable case against the UK government.

His lawyers argue there is evidence that British aid contributions to Ethiopia's promotion of basic services (PBS) programme has helped support its controversial villagisation programme, which aims to move 1.5 million rural families from their land to new "model" villages across the country.

So, in a sense, the courts have decided he deserves the chance to test in court whether or not the UK Aid scheme is in fact a violation of basic rights. And it does seem he's getting a rough ride.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:40 pm »
Mind you, nothing's quite what it seems:

DFM:

or...

Sane news sources:
n Monday, a high court judge ruled that "Mr O", an Ethiopian farmer who claims that British aid helped fund a brutal forced resettlement programme in his home country, has an arguable case against the UK government.

His lawyers argue there is evidence that British aid contributions to Ethiopia's promotion of basic services (PBS) programme has helped support its controversial villagisation programme, which aims to move 1.5 million rural families from their land to new "model" villages across the country.

So, in a sense, the courts have decided he deserves the chance to test in court whether or not the UK Aid scheme is in fact a violation of basic rights. And it does seem he's getting a rough ride.
Why doesn't he sue his own Government? They carried out the resettlement programme, not the UK. Still, I suppose we could make him happy and withdraw aid for Eithiopia, it would save £300m a year. Perhaps the money saved could fund a half decent healthcare system here in North Wales and elsewhere?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 08:30:04 am »
Why doesn't he sue his own Government? They carried out the resettlement programme, not the UK.

Well, indeed. Overseas Aid has always been one area where there seems little oversight and massive potential for corruption. And I suspect it's often dished out for the wrong reasons to the wrong people. And I also think Yorkie has a point: I find it really difficult to conceive that a penniless Ethiopian farmer came up with the idea to sue a foreign government by himself. I'm certain there's a great deal more to this than we know. It's all rather odd.   

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 08:31:07 am »
Perhaps the money saved could fund a half decent healthcare system here in North Wales and elsewhere?

Nah - they'd only spend  it on more managers...  :o