Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

Have Your Say: Overseas Aid

<< < (6/6)

DaveR:

--- Quote from: Ian on July 15, 2014, 07:47:33 pm ---Mind you, nothing's quite what it seems:

DFM:
--- Quote ---An Ethiopian farmer was today given permission to use thousands of pounds of taxpayer’s money to sue the British government…for sending international aid to his homeland.
--- End quote ---

or...

Sane news sources:
--- Quote ---n Monday, a high court judge ruled that "Mr O", an Ethiopian farmer who claims that British aid helped fund a brutal forced resettlement programme in his home country, has an arguable case against the UK government.

His lawyers argue there is evidence that British aid contributions to Ethiopia's promotion of basic services (PBS) programme has helped support its controversial villagisation programme, which aims to move 1.5 million rural families from their land to new "model" villages across the country.
--- End quote ---

So, in a sense, the courts have decided he deserves the chance to test in court whether or not the UK Aid scheme is in fact a violation of basic rights. And it does seem he's getting a rough ride.

--- End quote ---
Why doesn't he sue his own Government? They carried out the resettlement programme, not the UK. Still, I suppose we could make him happy and withdraw aid for Eithiopia, it would save £300m a year. Perhaps the money saved could fund a half decent healthcare system here in North Wales and elsewhere?

Ian:

--- Quote ---Why doesn't he sue his own Government? They carried out the resettlement programme, not the UK.
--- End quote ---

Well, indeed. Overseas Aid has always been one area where there seems little oversight and massive potential for corruption. And I suspect it's often dished out for the wrong reasons to the wrong people. And I also think Yorkie has a point: I find it really difficult to conceive that a penniless Ethiopian farmer came up with the idea to sue a foreign government by himself. I'm certain there's a great deal more to this than we know. It's all rather odd.   

Ian:

--- Quote ---Perhaps the money saved could fund a half decent healthcare system here in North Wales and elsewhere?
--- End quote ---

Nah - they'd only spend  it on more managers...  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version