Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

Have Your Say: Overseas Aid

(1/6) > >>

DaveR:
The UK is giving more foreign aid than any other European country despite having to make the biggest spending cuts since the Second World War:

"The UK’s aid bill stood at £8.4billion last year and is forecast to hit £12.6billion in 2014. In contrast, Germany, Europe’s largest economy, only gives £7.8billion.

Britain also contributes nearly twice as much as Japan, the world’s second largest economy, which gives £5.4billion.

Only the USA, with £18billion, provides more than the UK according to figures from the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, but that gap will shrink dramatically over the next four years."

Is it right that the UK gives so much in Overseas Aid whilst we are having to make spending cuts at home? Or should we be proud that we are ahead of most countries in helping others? What do you think?

Merddin Emrys:
I'm not really in favour, charity begins at home, however if it's targeted in the national interest then it may do us some good!

I've always thought that if these places needing aid stopped breeding like rabbits then they could be a lot better off

DaveR:
On of the examples always given is India. Over the next 3 years, we are giving them £825m in Aid, yet they can afford their own Nuclear Programme! Even China gets around £40m a year from us - ridiculous!

Fester:
At the risk of being labelled a reactionary (or worse) .. its time we put a stop to it !

I'm sick of being taxed to death, due to successive governments being apologists for our Imperial past.

Perhaps if we were taxed less to pay for overseas aid, then we would give more to charity...willingly!

Overseas aid should be a pot of money, which remains unspent, until a natural disaster occurs which requires immediate assistance.

Merddin Emrys:

--- Quote from: Fester on May 20, 2011, 11:49:11 pm ---I'm sick of being taxed to death, due to successive governments being apologists for our Imperial past.

--- End quote ---

I wish we still had the Empire and loads of money coming in again D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version