Author Topic: The Great Waldini  (Read 11225 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
The Great Waldini
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »
Before Alex Munro came to perform at Happy Valley, Llandudno, in the 1960s, the main man at the Open Air Theatre for many years was The Great Waldini & his Gypsy Band, in reality Wally Bishop from Cardiff.

Here's a programme from July 7th-10th 1956 which, besides Waldini, also featured a local singer called Maureen Evans:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:59:32 pm by DaveR »

craigollerton

Re: The Great Waldini
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:03:06 pm »
I picked up a lengthy amateur cine reel of Waldini performing at Happy Valley from a carboot last year, the booter didn't know what he was getting rid of I don't think, bargain at a twenty quid. Needs some attention if I ever get round to it. Sadly, no sound but a real insight into entertainment of that time.

Offline aurehsalla

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:31:04 pm »
Was just doing a google search on Waldini, as he's my great-Grandfather - do any of you have any other memories of him?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum, aurehsalla.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:10:39 pm »
Here's a news snippet marking his departure from Happy Valley:

[smg id=748]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »
Whilst looking for info about Waldini, I found this recent letter from the South Wales Echo:

What happened to Waldini?

FOR many years, I have been researching the lost theatres of Llandudno, and I would now like to appeal to any of your readers for information about the entertainer, Waldini, or Charles Bishop, his real name.

For years he ran the Happy Valley company.

Many holidaymakers to Llandudno have given me recollections of his shows. As he came from Cardiff and later retired back there again, I hope that some of your readers might tell me more about him. Are any of his family still alive?

I also would like to get in touch with one of his singers, Maureen Evans, who was in his company before she had her hit records. I learned recently that she had her own drama college in Cardiff.

If she reads this, or any one who can put me in touch with her, I would love to write to her.

If any of your readers has memories of the Happy Valley or any of the other theatres/cinemas there (The Arcadia, Pier Pavilion, the Grand, the Prince’s, Savoy, or the Winter Gardens/Odeon/Astra), please can they get in touch?

Terry Davis
(normanfrank70@hotmail.com)
2 The Oaks, Kitlings Lane, Walton on the Hill, Stafford, England, ST178 0LE

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:49:22 pm »
I won a skipping rope for singing "Around the World in 80 Days"  those were the days eh?  I got in to the final which was on the Friday afternoon and "Beaky" Owen head master at St. Georges school wouldn't let me go so I went anyway, egged on by my Mother - didn't win.
It was a smashing show Maureen Evans all sweetness and light and the much better singer Irene Spetti later Lorne Leslie and married to David Dickinson. She used to sing "Freight train, freight train going so fast" and also "One for the money, - blue suede shoes".  We used to go every day in the holidays.  I think Waldini had a badge embroidered on his blazer - something like a rain cloud on one side and the sun on the other and the legend "If Wet Town Hall".  I think there was a story in the NWales Weejkly News so you could delve in to their archive.  Look At Wyn Calvin's web site and send him an email re. Maureen Evans he always used to claim that he discovered her and Shirley Basey, ha, ha!

Offline aurehsalla

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:15:48 pm »
I won a skipping rope for singing "Around the World in 80 Days"  those were the days eh?  I got in to the final which was on the Friday afternoon and "Beaky" Owen head master at St. Georges school wouldn't let me go so I went anyway, egged on by my Mother - didn't win.
It was a smashing show Maureen Evans all sweetness and light and the much better singer Irene Spetti later Lorne Leslie and married to David Dickinson. She used to sing "Freight train, freight train going so fast" and also "One for the money, - blue suede shoes".  We used to go every day in the holidays.  I think Waldini had a badge embroidered on his blazer - something like a rain cloud on one side and the sun on the other and the legend "If Wet Town Hall".  I think there was a story in the NWales Weejkly News so you could delve in to their archive.  Look At Wyn Calvin's web site and send him an email re. Maureen Evans he always used to claim that he discovered her and Shirley Basey, ha, ha!

Thank you everyone for your tidbits of information!

My Dad actually still has the IWTH badge in a drawer - he's never shown it to me until now!

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:51:15 pm »
Great to see Wyn Calvin's  still going strong! he used to go into Sandbach and would tell my Grandmother his latest joke such as "What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?" Answer: "You can't wash your hands in a Buffalo" L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:24 pm »
The Great Waldini at Happy Valley. The badge with the inscription "IWTH" signifies what happens if it rains - "If Wet, Town Hall". Attribution: Skrbishop at en.wikipedia

[smg id=1644]

Offline John Newton

Re: The Great Waldinir
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 12:20:24 pm »
I understand this thread is rather old but I'm currently working on a future exhibition in Llandudno and I would be really keen to try to get in touch with aurehsalla who mentioned about her relation the to The Great Waldini. If possible, a message at johnhenrynewton11@gmail.com would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
John