Author Topic: Llandudno in the 50s  (Read 13026 times)

Offline reelhistory

Llandudno in the 50s
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:27:22 pm »
Hello,

I'm researching for a BBC show that's looking at holidays in the UK back in the 50s.  I'm trying to track down someone that may have remembered this period and would like to share their memories.  Ideally it would be someone that was involved in a B&B/Hotel in Llandudno in the 50s and is still doing it.  However, I'm very interested to hear from anyone that has memories of Llandudno from that time. Any help, or suggestions, are very welcome.

Diolch!

Dylan

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno in the 50s
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:29:17 pm »
I'm fairly sure we can help you, Dylan.  The galleries have a huge number of stills from the '50s, and we also host a large number of postcards from that era.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27:25 pm »
And a few old codgers who write messages

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:10:52 pm »
Perhaps you could contribute something, Mike?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:17:47 pm »
Well yes and no. I was still living in Rhos until 1949 so I remember the immediate postwar period, but then I went into the R.A.F. and I never really returned to this area, although my parents and sister still lived here. Also I've never had or lived in a B and B. But obviously if I can help, I will

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:07:45 am »
There must be some members who know of someone who was around and possibly working the B & B trade during the '50s?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »
my mum helped my grandmother who was a single mum run a boarding house from a young age providing B&B & EM throughout the 40's 50's and early 60's. I remember standing on a chair helping with the washing up! She's not involved in the trade any more though

During WW2 people from the Inland Revenue stayed there

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:29:29 am »
Oh, Suepp... what a fantastic postcard, or advert, from that time... it rivals any marketing gimmick from today... superb.

I would have rushed to pay my ten-bob deposit to stay in such a place.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:22:18 am »
This brings back memories.
In late 1940s/1950s my Nain stayed in a cottage in Penrhynside.
During the summer she used to have couples from the Manchester/Stoke area to stay at the cottage.
I am not certain but I think they brought their own food and she used to cook the meals for them. At the time my parents lived in Liverpool but I spent a lot of the school holidays in Penrhynside.
Used to go round to my Uncle Dick & Auntie Jane a lot . They lived in Howard Place so must have passed close to were Suepp was staying. Uncle Dick was a Postman in Llandudno for many years.
Used to spend hours at West Shore sailing my model yacht after travelling down from Penrhynside on the tram. All this wandering around under 10 years of age on my own.
Different world then.
If I can remember any more I will post it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 08:56:11 am »
Dylan:  one valuable resource would be the advertising booklets Llandudno used to produce during the '50s. Packed with illustrated adverts from every guest house, hotel and camp site imaginable, they formed mini-compendia of life at that time and made a pretty good snapshot of the thriving tourist industry. 

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:14 am »
My other Grandparents used to cater for holidaymakers in their  little house in Denness Place, there must have been a huge demand for affordable holidays and the locals could take advantage - good for them!

This is from The Llandudno Holiday Magazine 1954

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 11:11:55 am »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 11:45:52 am »
Excellent stuff, Suepp.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »
I wonder who organised the yacht races etc? The other thing Llandudnohad at that time that they don't any more  was the Lido swimming pool complex linking the West Shore with Deganwy

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:34:46 pm »
This is from The Llandudno Holiday Magazine 1954

Suepp, How wonderful that you have kept or found documents like these. They bring back memories for me of my visits to the seaside in the 50's, especially the donkey rides.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:21:58 pm by Ian »