Author Topic: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)  (Read 41495 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 08:55:53 am »
           Hi Miriam,
               Yes, I do remember your dad Alun. He was slightly taller than brother Ted, sometimes wore a flat cap and always cheerful! I also seem to remember Ted selling fish from a barrow on the corner by the Carlton during the winter months, and I think he also had a small fruit and veg shop for a while at the bottom end of Bodhyfryd Road opposite the side entrance to the Clarence bar. You will find the "Welsh Maid" moored in mid-river off the bridge end of Conwy quay (see photo below which I sent to cousin Eddie).  When Ted had her she was registered in Beaumaris as BS 167 but now she has been re-registered as CO 332.

Offline miriam

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 01:17:08 pm »
Wow doesn't she look posh, would never have recognized her..... Can you remember a man by the name of Frank Curbishly ? he lives down the road from me and used to be around the boats in Llandudno and I think was a friend of Johnny Rogo Eddie's brother ? He's a wealth of knowledge as far as the Llandudno boats go - I'll tell him about the Welsh Maid he'll be thrilled to bits to know she's working.

Thanks for that Gwynant 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 03:36:30 pm »
Is that you bottom left ?

Well done Miriam  $good$

The front row were all from Cwm Place and were L to R     Brian Hughes (33) Phil Jones (35) Jeff Berrington (45) Ray Breeze (26) and Joe Jones (42a ?)
Back Row   Johny Griffin (30) holding cup and extreme right David Rawling (2)

Offline ed jones

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 04:34:42 pm »
Gwynant, crackin' photo of the maid. I see she has a cabin up forad. When Dad first had her she had hotchkiss cone propellers (paddles to you landlubbers!!) Brilliant for going right inshore( as she was an old lifeboat.) but not very fast, so Dad had a Gardner diesel fitted and after two ot three years we fitted a cabin up forard gave us a bit of shelter when we were fishing, do you remember? but it cut down on the amount of passengers we could carry in the summer, so off it came. She looks well again and as you point out with a different registration number. Next time I'm up we'll go and see her.

Offline ed jones

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »
Hugo, clocked you, another one I know! Whatever happened to Wyn GRIFFIN. I seem to remember through the mists of time I went with him when he went for an interview at Quinton Hazell, I lost track of him after that, mind you I've lost track of lots of things. I could have been dreaming though. All the best

Offline miriam

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »
Joey Jones used to be a porter in Llandudno hospital, he used to pick my mum up and put her in the laundry trolley ..... she was only little and couldn't get out  .....  ;D

Offline jane B

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 10:16:09 pm »
Hi Miriam,

I think Frank Curbishley is a relative of mine. It was my maiden name and I know that some of the Curbishley family live in the area. My great grandfather was named Edward Curbishley. Perhaps if you get a chance you could ask him if he knows anything about his ancestors.

Thanks,
Jane.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52:39 am »
There were Curbishleys in Abbey Road. Ron and Gillian, both now sadly dead. There were children ( I don't know how many) and I know of one still in the area.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline miriam

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 10:05:44 am »
I'll ask him Jane I usually see him about and I'll let you know. Frank used to do a bit of boxing if I remember right.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:18 am »
There were Curbishleys in Abbey Road. Ron and Gillian, both now sadly dead. There were children ( I don't know how many) and I know of one still in the area.

I knew Ron and Gillian from the time that they had two Old English Sheepdogs and we had one also.  They were a nice couple and I was sorry to hear that they had both died.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 11:33:19 am »
Hugo, clocked you, another one I know! Whatever happened to Wyn GRIFFIN. I seem to remember through the mists of time I went with him when he went for an interview at Quinton Hazell, I lost track of him after that, mind you I've lost track of lots of things. I could have been dreaming though. All the best

Ed, Wyn did work at Quinton Hazell on the computers there. He later set up in business on his own and then did a lot of travelling overseas in that line of work.   I haven't seen him for many years and last thing I heard was that he was back living in Llandudno but that was some time ago.
The last time I remember speaking to you was when I was with Wyn by Thompsons Newsagents next to the Carlton.
Wyn never played for the Youth Club which was a shame as he was a good footballer.

Offline jane B

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 12:16:52 pm »
Thanks to Miriam and Nemesis.
 Ron Curbishley was my first cousin once removed. I would love to get in touch with any Curbishleys in the area. It was quite a shock to find my Curbishley heritage in Colwyn Bay and Llandudno as well as my Roberts connections!. I only realised they were there quite recently. I tried on my last visit to Llandudno in Dec 2012 to find some info at the library but with no success.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 01:15:50 pm »
mmm- that puts me in a dilemma as I obviously can't just put the name on here and we now have no p/m facility. As the person concerned isn't now called Curbishley it makes it more difficult, and she runs a local business, but I can tell you that there is a memorial stone for them ( Ron and Gillian) at the rear of St. Georges Church in Llandudno.

Offline jane B

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 03:35:53 pm »
Hello Nemesis,

Thanks for that, I agree it is a problem to exchange details! Don't know how to get round it! I will think of something!

Jane

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »
Hello Jane.
Just a bit more info without broadcasting names. Gillian's mother is still alive, this makes her Ron's mother in law.. I think she is 94.
Will have to find a way to get round this, as I don't want the family jumping down my neck !!
Dave R. might have a suggestion.
Nem.