Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528597 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1260 on: December 23, 2016, 10:42:29 am »
First case of bird flu confirmed in Wales
The deadly disease was found in a wild duck and vets are warning that other cases are likely to follow.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/first-case-bird-flu-confirmed-12359189

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1261 on: December 28, 2016, 09:03:30 am »
There were about 10 Waxwings reported to have been seen in the Pen Y Bryn car park on Boxing day but although I walked past there about 3 times during the day I hadn't noticed them or the bird watchers that tend to follow these rare sightings.
Yesterday I walked past there with my dog and saw about 4 bird watchers  and later on I went back with my camera.    I didn't see any Waxwings there but hung about for about 15 minutes and then gave up.
I drove out of the street and right at the end of the school playing field were about 6 of these beautiful birds so I stopped and went to get my camera but before I could get it out of it's case off they flew again and not one photo taken!
The photos below were taken by someone else earlier this month

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #1262 on: December 28, 2016, 03:38:59 pm »
We should get the waxwings here soon then (in Staffordshire). The redwings normally come with them too.

Sometimes we'll see a fieldfare as well.

Great photos above.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1263 on: December 28, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »
I hope that you do see them there PhilMick as they are an attractive looking bird.     $good$     
We saw about 60 of them in St Asaph last week and bird watchers from all over the country came to see them.     

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #1264 on: December 29, 2016, 07:17:23 pm »
The red wings strip every berry from every tree and Bush and then disappear until next year.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1265 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:36 am »
Very tame robin to be found in Bodnant car park - careful you don't run over him as he comes hopping round your feet as soon as you get out the car!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1266 on: January 10, 2017, 09:16:18 am »
Bird flu has been confirmed in a wild bird on the RSPB Conwy reserve, the charity has said.
RSPB staff found a dead teal on the reserve and immediately reported the discovery to the Defra helpline.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/bird-flu-confirmed-dead-duck-12427678

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #1267 on: January 10, 2017, 04:15:43 pm »
I hope that you do see them there PhilMick as they are an attractive looking bird.     $good$     
We saw about 60 of them in St Asaph last week and bird watchers from all over the country came to see them.   

No sign of Redwings, Waxwings or Fieldfares just yet.

They usually arrive after a few very icy days and strip berries from everything - perhaps this weekend.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1268 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »

No sign of Redwings, Waxwings or Fieldfares just yet.

They usually arrive after a few very icy days and strip berries from everything - perhaps this weekend.

I'll be staying indoors if the weather gets that bad,        $cofffee$

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1269 on: January 10, 2017, 05:00:00 pm »
We have seen about six field fares in the Henryd Road area of Gyffin (Conwy) in the past week.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1270 on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:34 pm »
I had a walk to Angel Bay this afternoon and there were dozens of seals on the beach and in the water.   The bull seals seemed to be romping in the water and making a right noise as well.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1271 on: January 25, 2017, 10:41:22 pm »
I had a walk along a river bank today and a Dipper was busy preening itself on the other side of the river so I couldn't get a good photo of the bird but the Robin was very friendly and not too far away

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1272 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:09 am »
Trying to get rid of some dead bits and pieces yesterday and I had 2 Robins trying to get into my green rubbish bag. A few meal worms got them out and they quite happily shared them. :)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1273 on: February 05, 2017, 01:14:31 pm »
The Cormorants don't seem too bothered about the state of the Colwyn Bay Pier.

The Robin was happy to pose for the photo at the Bird Reserve in Llandudno Junction

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1274 on: February 18, 2017, 10:51:56 am »
Nice article
Revealing the secrets of Wales’ most enigmatic bird

RSPB Conwy reserve manager Julian Hughes joins a ringing project that aims to shed light on the finger-crunching hawfinch.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/revealing-secrets-wales-most-enigmatic-12617794