Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527962 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1245 on: November 13, 2016, 09:11:50 am »
Woody woodpecker.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1246 on: November 13, 2016, 10:40:09 am »
Looks like the Greater Spotted Woodpecker, a lovely sight to see in any garden.    I haven't seen one in our garden for quite a while but hopefully they will return soon.
That Maple in your garden still looks brilliant and in full leaf.   Our Maples have lost most of their leaves but that's probably due to the windy  weather that we've had recently

Offline hollins

« Reply #1247 on: November 13, 2016, 12:54:04 pm »
Hi Hugo,
Yes it is a very special tree. A wonderful legacy from the previous owner of the house.
There are plenty of leaves on the floor but we haven't had any strong winds so it is still looking good.
It is difficult to capture just how red it is with photos.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1248 on: November 14, 2016, 01:29:10 pm »
While I was on the prom in Old Colwyn I took some photos of the birds on the rocks there

Offline Jack

« Reply #1249 on: November 14, 2016, 05:54:44 pm »
Like the bottom picture of the turnstones - they do exactly as they say on the tin - turn stones to find their food.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1250 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36:14 pm »
Is the top one a Fulmar?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #1251 on: November 14, 2016, 10:56:14 pm »
No a black headed gull Fester. Doesn't have a black head this time of year though  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1252 on: November 14, 2016, 11:10:24 pm »
If anyone could identify the birds Jack, I thought that it would be you.    They are a small bird with a particular flight and I've always thought that they were some type of Tern.
The wingspan looked no more than 24 to 30 inches and the bill with the black tip made me think that it was a Tern.  My friend Tellytubby who knows the different species wouldn't be impressed with my lack of knowledge

I wonder if they are young common Terns and the black cap that those Terns  normally have is starting to appear through the plumage

Offline Jack

« Reply #1253 on: November 15, 2016, 07:44:08 am »
Not sure to be honest Hugo; common terns are summer visitors to our shores so don't think they would be around at this time of year. You will have to get a photo next time  :D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1254 on: November 18, 2016, 03:45:07 pm »
I was in the kitchen earlier and looking into the back garden when a large Heron calmly strolled across the lawn.   It's the first time I've seen one in our garden so I rushed upstairs, but by the time I got my camera out the Heron had disappeared.
It has probably gone into my neighbours garden as they have, or at least had a lot of fish in their garden pond 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1255 on: November 18, 2016, 07:30:28 pm »
Jack,  I must have misread your posting about the Gulls  but you were spot on when you said Black headed Gulls.   $good$

My friend Tellytubby also said that they are  adult black headed gulls in very pretty winter colours.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1256 on: December 03, 2016, 04:55:30 pm »
We had a nice walk along the beach in Pentraeth and saw  many varieties of birds along the way.

Offline Jack

« Reply #1257 on: December 03, 2016, 06:49:03 pm »
Nice photos Hugo  :) wigeon and curlew in the first photo, wigeon in the second, redshank in the third and finally little egret.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1258 on: December 03, 2016, 11:08:52 pm »
Thanks Jack, it was coming up to high tide when we were there but if we tried to get any nearer to the birds then they flew off.   It was good to see so many there though.      $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1259 on: December 21, 2016, 09:02:23 pm »
On Saturday we went to St Asaph to have a look at a flock of Waxwings that had been seen in large numbers near the bridge.  We saw them but didn't stay long there as there were many bird watchers there with massive cameras waiting to take photos of the birds.
We walked upstream and saw a variety of birds such as Dippers Ducks and a Heron but didn't get sight of the elusive Kingfishers that can be seen around that area.
We later moved on to the Nature Reserve at Rhuddlan but didn't stay long there either as it was windy and cold but we did stay long enough to speak to a photographer called Tony Pope who had seen the Otter there earlier that day and had taken some fantastic photos of it which he posted on Facebook.