Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527611 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1215 on: July 29, 2016, 06:27:33 pm »
Sorry Fester, but it aint your week. Just caught this little chap in the house, running down the corridor where my freezer is. Picked him up to put him outside and he had a darn good go at biting me. Managed to snap him as he hurried off !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1216 on: July 30, 2016, 12:37:16 am »
He's alright Nemesis, quite cute really, a little lizard.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1217 on: August 04, 2016, 02:16:40 pm »
I was reading in the sun lounge earlier today when something swooped down and carried a Pigeon for about 20 yards before landing and killing it.   It then dragged it under the hedge to eat it.
The Hawk was large, much bigger than the Sparrow Hawks that I've seen here before and it may have been a Peregrine Falcon.
It's not a nice sight to witness in your own garden, but I suppose that it's nature in the raw.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1218 on: September 05, 2016, 01:39:33 pm »
Saw this insect today. Anyone like to tell me what it is please?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1219 on: September 05, 2016, 02:04:02 pm »
That's a Dragonfly, suborder = Anisoptera, I think.  They have the wings open at rest, as opposed to the similar looking damselfly, who close their wings at rest. Very common around rock pools in September.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1220 on: September 05, 2016, 02:08:18 pm »
I think it is a Green Drake mayfly....check out this link.....

http://www.nationalinsectweek.co.uk/discover-insects/mayflies/green-drake-mayfly

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1221 on: September 05, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »
This is an Anisoptera DF:

[smg id=3352]

which seems nearer to Hollins' specimen in colouring, I think
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DVT

« Reply #1222 on: September 05, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »
Emperor Dragonfly In reckon - young male one before it turns blue or a female which stays green ... found quite a few nymphs during the Bodnant pond dipping sessions and plenty of the adults flying around during the past couple of weeks up at the far end pond.  It;'s Britain's biggest dragonfly and certainly spectacular in flight - flying back and forth when looking for prey - I saw one "pounce" on a pond skater with great accuracy, just like a hawk!

Bodnant also had red dragonflies and plenty of the blue damsel flies.  Damsel flies and dragonflies differ in the way they fly and hold their wings when at rest.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1223 on: September 05, 2016, 04:09:03 pm »
What a little beauty, fantastic photos Hollins. I think it might be a female Southern Hawker Dragonfly.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1224 on: September 06, 2016, 07:49:32 am »
I agree. Certainly the most likely. From British Dragonflies:

Flight Period: June to October (sometimes individuals in May and November)

A large, inquisitive Hawker usually seen individually. It may fly quite close to investigate observers. The spots on segments S8-10 are joined, unlike other Hawkers. The ante-humeral stripes are broad and strongly coloured. The costa is dark and there is an elongated triangular mark on S2.

Male: brightly marked on a dark background, usually apple green except for S8-10, which are pale blue. Occasionally, all pale blue marked individuals are seen.
Female: brown with bright geen markings.
Habitat Breeds in water line vegetation in well-vegetated, small ponds, often in garden ponds. Hunts well away from water and may be found hawking woodland rides well into the evening.
Status & Distribution Very common in southern and central England and Wales, more local elsewhere (vagrant only to Ireland).

Offline hollins

« Reply #1225 on: September 06, 2016, 08:37:33 am »
Thank you everyone for your input.
It was interesting looking up all the suggestions and I am sure that Meleri has the answer. It fitted that description exactly.
 $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1226 on: September 27, 2016, 08:03:00 am »
The Badger called last night to feed on the peanuts I had left for him.  By the time I got my camera this was the only photo I could take as he was off again as quickly as he arrived.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1227 on: October 02, 2016, 05:03:15 pm »
We were amazed to see so many mackerel being fished out of the sea today at Colwyn Bay.
The seagulls were also enjoying the rich pickings.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1228 on: October 03, 2016, 06:23:22 pm »
At the start of our walk today, Rhuddlan spotted loads of Ladybirds on top of a concrete post and when we had another look there were loads of them on other posts too. 
I've not seen so many together before and can't remember seeing any in my garden this year.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1229 on: October 03, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »
Great photos, the different colourings in such a small group are unusual, and I would have thought a bit late in the season, must be the good weather.

In the seventies I took a long 1 inch tube from the garage, banged it on the drive to clear any muck trapped inside, and was amazed when it emptied hundreds of ladybirds everywhere.