Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527934 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1185 on: April 27, 2016, 09:27:45 pm »
Also.... I saw an Ultrasonic Animal Repeller on Wowcher earlier...... (Effective for cats and dogs apparently)  £9.99,  need to check what reviews its had.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1186 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:58 pm »
Early morning visitors!

Thanks for posting those lovely photos of the Deer, you are so lucky to see such a wonderful sight.  What type of Deer are they?

To be honest we are not sure but we think they are fallow deer.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1187 on: May 09, 2016, 10:31:45 pm »
I didn't want to butt in when I saw a few locals enjoying the delights of Mike's Golf Course.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1188 on: May 10, 2016, 06:56:02 am »
So who put the red flag on the goat's horn?  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1189 on: May 10, 2016, 08:45:17 am »
Superb shots, Hugo.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1190 on: May 16, 2016, 12:08:45 am »
Every night I leave some peanuts out for  Badgers who comes into my garden and just so I know that they have been I leave the peanuts inside a cast iron frog that is in two parts.
The Badgers come into the garden when its dark and in the morning I'll know if they have visited the garden because the top half of the Frog has been removed. Occasionally I see them when the security light comes on, but tonight I was watching TV in the sun lounge at about 9.30 pm and it was still light outside and I couldn't believe my eyes when a Badger just calmly walked into the garden and started to eat the peanuts that I had left inside the cast iron Frog.   
I dashed upstairs and found my camera and  quickly took a few photos before he scoffed the peanuts and moved on.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1191 on: May 16, 2016, 12:14:17 pm »
Nicely done Hugo!
In other news, I was on Llandudno prom today and I noticed that a pair of nesting seagulls had chosen a crazy place to build their nest.
I have never seen them nest anywhere other than cliffs or high buildings (my chimney etc)
But these two are low down, on the prom in a very vulnerable roadside area.  It doesn't make any kind of sense.
Even if the eggs remain long enough to hatch, then the chicks will soon tumble the 8ft or so into the road and get splatted. 
Passers by, cats, children or foxes are surely going to bring a sad end to this venture.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1192 on: May 16, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »
Spotted the nest this morning, as I drove by, I thought an inexperienced pair, and as you said "crazy" does not look good for the future.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1193 on: May 24, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »
The Ponies were in Cwm Prysor and the Ducks in Llanasa

Offline hollins

« Reply #1194 on: May 24, 2016, 04:01:17 pm »
Love the foal and what a great photo of the furry chicks!

Offline DVT

« Reply #1195 on: May 24, 2016, 08:09:51 pm »
Pair of Canada geese with three young goslings on the Far End pond in Bodnant, also thousands (millions?) of tadpoles, and some sticklebacks in the water.

Also seen on the feeders just inside the entrance in the past week there has been sighting of a yellow hammer (not seen it myself) and a lesser-spotted woodpecker (which I did see).

Also found a nuthatch nest in the bark of one of the giant sequoia trees.

Plenty of interesting wildlife as well as plants in Bodnant at the moment - laburnum is on its' way way and we expect it to be fully out next week!

I have to say that becoming a volunteer "archer" is one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done!  Say hello if you see me there, one of the forum members did find me today!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1196 on: May 30, 2016, 08:32:18 pm »
No wonder my peanuts go down so quickly !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1197 on: June 04, 2016, 05:14:37 pm »
Horses on Newborough Warren today

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1198 on: June 23, 2016, 05:57:03 pm »
I went to Llanfairfechan today to see the Swans but the Pen was sitting on her nest so I couldn't tell if she had eggs or any Cygnets under her.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1199 on: June 26, 2016, 10:23:00 am »
On the ponds in Llanasa yesterday, the ducklings have grown quite a bit since my last visit there