Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 543716 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1170 on: April 01, 2016, 08:02:56 am »
That's a nice story, the instincts of the birds are incredible.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1171 on: April 01, 2016, 11:30:43 pm »
unless i am mistaken pigeons do,nt line their nests they just lay eggs on sticks made into a flat nest

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1172 on: April 02, 2016, 12:21:57 pm »
A bit like this nest

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1173 on: April 02, 2016, 04:54:09 pm »
That is how my pigeons nest, how cute!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1174 on: April 02, 2016, 05:59:28 pm »
We have enjoyed watching the Wood Pigeons doing their courtship in the back garden.  They are ever so funny, just like a sketch from the Benny Hilly show with the male chasing the female around.
As the males are chasing the female around they dip their beaks down and the tail feathers are up in the air and just fan out and they do this procedure quite often.
It's just so nice to see nature up close like that.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1175 on: April 05, 2016, 11:20:33 am »
Bird Notes columnist Julian Hughes of RSPB Conwy reveals what birds have been spotted in the past week.
Birds had been streaming north all day, as the migration floodgates finally opened.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/spring-migration-floodgates-finally-open-11138736

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1176 on: April 06, 2016, 04:51:23 pm »
Welsh Mountain Zoo releases seals on Penrhyn Bay beach
A group of grey seals rescued during the past five months by the Welsh Mountain Zoo have been released back into the wild of the North Wales shores.
The two males and two females were bought into the Zoo with various conditions, each being undernourished and underweight and in need of a period of rehabilitation.

The seals, rescued from various North Wales beaches, were transported to the Zoo and cared for by their experienced team.
They have rehabilitated in two specially designed pools, been carefully monitored and have made great progress.
Now weighing 40 kilos each, Zoo Keepers are happy that the seals are fit enough and were released at Penrhyn Bay beach this morning (Wednesday, April 6).
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/160630/gallery-welsh-mountain-zoo-releases-seals-on-penrhyn-bay-beach.aspx

$good$ $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1177 on: April 06, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »
The Welsh Mountain Zoo has done a lot of good work in helping the Seals over the years.     $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #1178 on: April 11, 2016, 08:10:18 am »
Early morning visitors!

Offline DVT

« Reply #1179 on: April 27, 2016, 12:45:39 pm »
Neighbours have cut down a few bushes near us, and we think blackbirds were nesting in them.  The birds have now decided to make a nest in our clematis, close to our back door.  Hopefully they won't mind our coming and going but our big concern is local cats.  Anyone know how we can prevent the cats getting at the nest as we think it's easily reachable for a prowling moggy?

http://www.anwcc.org/nest.jpg

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1180 on: April 27, 2016, 03:19:39 pm »
I have a nest in a similar kind of position in a fuchsia bush near a wall. I am hoping that when the leaves thicken up it may prevent the local moggies gaining access.
I read somewhere that old CDs placed facing the sunlight are a deterrent to cats, but it may also put the birds off.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1181 on: April 27, 2016, 03:33:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice on CD's - problem is we don't see the cats during the day, they come round at night - only know they're in the back garden because they set the security light off!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1182 on: April 27, 2016, 04:51:29 pm »
Hi DVT,     I have used liberal amounts of cheap pepper around the base of a nesting tree, (every 3/4 days)  seemed to work OK but needs dry weather for best results.   
 ££$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1183 on: April 27, 2016, 07:06:53 pm »
We've tried putting pepper down,  also peppermint and I've heard of people trying coffee powder to repeal them,  not sure that any have been effective.
I am told that you can buy metal cats with shiny eyes that are supposed to scare real cats.
But again I have not tried this myself.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1184 on: April 27, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
Early morning visitors!

Thanks for posting those lovely photos of the Deer, you are so lucky to see such a wonderful sight.  What type of Deer are they?