Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 543978 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1155 on: March 08, 2016, 12:05:20 pm »
They were at it in the Spinnies too,  a bit of an orgy was going on with two drakes to one female.      :-[

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1156 on: March 08, 2016, 03:04:55 pm »
Walking on the pavement this morning at West Shore I encountered a very large, lone swan. I made to walk in the road to avoid the bird as I had the dog with me. " I'm trying to get it back across the road "said a man in fluorescent gear. He got between the swan and the wall and tried to shoo it. The swan promptly turned round and jabbed him right where it would hurt ! Sorry, but I had to laugh !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1157 on: March 11, 2016, 06:12:58 pm »
There was a flock of Curlews in the field opposite Llandrillo College today but I couldn't get near enough to take a decent photo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1158 on: March 13, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »
Some of the birds in Conwy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1159 on: March 14, 2016, 02:59:33 pm »
As it was such a nice day, I popped down to Angel Bay in Penrhyn Bay and had a look at the Seals on the beach.   The tide was coming in quickly and a group of 12 or more were congregated at the far end of the beach.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1160 on: March 14, 2016, 10:53:02 pm »
I was just about to let our dog go out into the garden for the last time tonight when the security light came on and I could see the Badger munching away at the peanuts I had left. The noise must have disturbed the Badger because he shot off into our neighbours garden.
I put our dog back in the house and had to go in the garden and scare off any others that may have been out of sight at the top of the garden.
When it was safe to do so I let the dog out and he just ran around like a headless chicken but at least I knew he was safe from the Badger.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1161 on: March 16, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »
ME will you please come and collect your birds as they are pooping on my roof and costing me a bomb in birdfood.      ;D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1162 on: March 16, 2016, 07:01:08 pm »
None of mine there, they are your very own tame pigeons lol! Lovely birds!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1163 on: March 16, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »
Some of the birds in Newborough Forest today

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1164 on: March 30, 2016, 08:44:21 pm »
There were comments on murmurations earlier, there is a short video attatched to this link....

Watch up to 30,000 starlings above Conwy Estuary in spectacular formation.
Birds of a feather certainly flocked together above Conwy this month drawing thousands of avid watchers from all over the UK.

Thousands of the species have gathered each evening over the last month over the estuary before dropping into the reeds at the RSPB reserve to roost overnight.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/watch-up-30000-starlings-above-11114939

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1165 on: March 31, 2016, 05:18:47 pm »
My wife gave our dog Marco his first haircut of the year and we put some of the cuttings in the back garden.    It wasn't long before the Crows came and took some away, at least they'll have nice warm nests in the nearby woods.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1166 on: March 31, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »
Apologies for being pedantic - but aren't those jackdaws?

Last year our rabbit, sadly no longer with us, used to be tormented by a magpie that would hop up behind him and take tufts out of his tail to take to the nest!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1167 on: March 31, 2016, 09:16:36 pm »

Last year our rabbit, sadly no longer with us, used to be tormented by a magpie that would hop up behind him and take tufts out of his tail to take to the nest!

Jackdaws were ripping up loads of newspaper in then street today, shredding it for nesting material
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1168 on: March 31, 2016, 10:30:52 pm »

Well spotted DVT    Jackdaws and Magpies are both members of the crow family, or, more technically, corvids.   Today there were two Jackdaws and two Crows helping themselves to the cuttings and one of the Crows is in the first picture. They were a young pair of Carrion Crows and they were quite nervous  ones too.

In this photo the Carrion Crow is in flight in the centre and the Jackdaws are either side of it, while the Pigeon is  just not interested in the cuttings

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1169 on: April 01, 2016, 01:08:36 am »
Not local but.... cute!
The male Stork has returned from migration, to its injured mate, for the 15th straight year!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35936411
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -