Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527926 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1065 on: July 27, 2015, 09:37:40 pm »
Young Sea Eagles from Mull go off wandering on thier own and have been seen in NI, SW Scotland and no doubt IOM.
There is no reason why they would not sometimes over fly North Wales.
They are a huge bird ( 8FT ) wingspan.
Scottish Natural Heritage have just accepted that these birds do take young lambs which is only natrual but a lot of farmers up here want a reduction in numbers.
Having gone off wandering when young   they usually return back home , find a mate and settle down for life together.
Just like us !

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1066 on: August 04, 2015, 03:35:54 pm »
RSPB Conwy's Julian Hughes
A few weeks ago, I mentioned a couple of Bee-eaters seen over Llandudno’s Great Orme and then near Anglesey’s Penmon Point, and I speculated on where they had gone next.

Now, the RSPB can reveal that two pairs of these colourful Mediterranean birds are nesting in a Hanson sand quarry near Carlisle, Cumbria. They are thought to have young in the nest and a viewing scheme has been opened now that the eggs are safe from law-breaking collectors.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/bird-notes-rare-bee-eaters-9788721

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1067 on: August 04, 2015, 04:22:21 pm »
Thanks Steve for posting that article, those Bee -eaters they look really beautiful birds.     Tellytubby would have liked to have seen them on the Great Orme as he's a keen bird watcher

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1068 on: August 04, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »
Thanks Steve for posting that article, those Bee -eaters they look really beautiful birds.     Tellytubby would have liked to have seen them on the Great Orme as he's a keen bird watcher
They are very unusual, at first glance they look like Kingfishers, now we know what we are looking at.... $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1069 on: August 12, 2015, 06:21:59 pm »
I haven't seen any Badgers in my garden for a while but last night at about 10.00pm a large brock came in and went over to the Dovecot where the peanut feeder is and then went through the hedge to next door.
It must be that the Badgers are coming in earlier as it's now quite dark by 10.00pm

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1070 on: August 18, 2015, 04:49:14 pm »
Just in case any of our walkers ........ ££$
Rare exotic Hoopoe bird spotted on Pen Llŷn in Gwynedd

A rare exotic bird has been spotted on the Llŷn Peninsula.
The RSPB Conwy Nature reserve will be sending down a team to try to catch a glimpse of it
The Hoopoe migrates to Europe from North Africa in Spring but is only usually seen in the south coast of England.
But Stephen Garner, a regular bird watcher from Pwllheli, spotted its distinctive black and white feathers with an orange mane on Saturday at Nant Gwrtheryn, Llithfaen.
Mr Garner said: “This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a Hoopoe.
“I’ve seen one before at Fuerteventura in the Canary lslands but I have never seen one in North Wales before.
“The bird was just hopping along the ground eating some ants and after about five minutes - it flew off.

They also have a very distinctive flight, (undulating is the best description I can think of.)

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hoopoe-bird-spotted-gwynedd-rspb--9880329

Offline hollins

« Reply #1071 on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:58 am »
Local to me.....saw this lovely family scene on a walk along the lake shore last night.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1072 on: August 19, 2015, 07:32:35 am »
I saw one of those Hoopoes as I was driving along the Wrexham bypass a few years ago, a very impressive looking bird.  Last year we had a walk along the river from Rhuddlan to Rhyl and there was a Hoopoe spotted there too but unfortunately we didn't see it.

Liked the photo of the Swans and the cygnets too, such graceful looking birds

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1073 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:34 pm »
When I've been to Egypt, Hoopoes are quite common, but beautiful to watch, ~(and comical to listen to)

But I have never heard of them being in the UK, never mind N Wales.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1075 on: September 08, 2015, 08:56:48 am »
Tellytubby sent me this photo taken by someone in the Spinnies reserve near Penrhyn Castle.        The photo is of a Mink that could play havoc with the bird population  especially with the Kingfishers that are there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1076 on: September 13, 2015, 01:55:57 pm »
We saw a Badger in the back garden last night and it seems that they have started coming back again.  We knew that they had been around last week because we could hear their distinctive squeaking noises as they were looking for food.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1077 on: September 16, 2015, 10:41:37 am »
Had a visit from this little guy at work yesterday. I haven't seen one for years!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1078 on: September 16, 2015, 12:13:18 pm »
That's a nice photo SDQ  it's not often you see Hedgehogs nowadays.   My next door neighbour used to have loads of them in her garden and they would breed in there but since we've had Badgers coming to the house I've not seen one in my garden

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1079 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:51 am »
I saw this Heron near our garden early yesterday morning (6.15am) managed to get a very quick pic of him before he flew off!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas