Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 541915 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1035 on: May 17, 2015, 11:38:23 am »
ME................. A neighbour has just rung me and has an injured racing pigeon in his care. Do you have any contacts whereby he could find the owner please.
It has a number on its leg.
Thanks

Nem
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1036 on: May 28, 2015, 07:56:00 pm »
A friendly robin at Bodnant this afternoon.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1037 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:46 pm »
ME................. A neighbour has just rung me and has an injured racing pigeon in his care. Do you have any contacts whereby he could find the owner please.
It has a number on its leg.
Thanks

Nem

Nem, sorry, only just seen this, we were on holiday for a week, did you find the owner? Hope the bird is ok!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1038 on: May 29, 2015, 11:34:51 am »
I looked on the net for them and they found a phone number under it's wing in ink. It had come from Wigan and they made some arrangements. Haven't heard since.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1039 on: May 29, 2015, 04:44:54 pm »
Chester zoo has teamed up with Denbighshire County Council to capture live video of Lesser Horseshoe Bats in a maternity roost to monitor this rare and charismatic species at one of their historical houses.

Across their range numbers of lesser horseshoe bats have been decreasing, and they are rare in the British Isles. However, in parts of Western England and Wales they now seem to be increasing and this project is helping to monitoring this change.

Chester Zoo has provided funding to install cameras within the Lesser Horseshoe Bat roost at Nantclwyd y Dre in Ruthin.

Five cameras have been installed - four provide images at the house, and one provides this live video 24 hours a day, thanks to sponsorship from streaming company NWSG.

The lesser horseshoe bat roost is in the attic of the house. It is a maternity roost, where female bats have their young during the summer months (approximately April to September). From June onwards you may be able to spot baby bats cling to their mums.

Nantclwyd y Dre (Nantclwyd House) is a Grade 1 listed house in Ruthin, Denbighshire. It is Wales's oldest timbered town house and is owned and managed by Denbighshire County Council’s Heritage Service. It is open to visitors from April to September, so if you want to see more of these bats please visit
LIVE FEED.....BEST IN THE EVENING
http://www.chesterzoo.org/attractions-and-exhibits/web-cams/bat-cam

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1040 on: May 31, 2015, 11:41:27 am »
I was driving into Llandudno yesterday and on the left hand side in the Craigside housing estate I saw a number of twitchers with cameras running to one of the gardens there.
Does anyone know if there was a rare bird in that area?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1041 on: May 31, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »
Or a topless sunbathers?   :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1042 on: June 01, 2015, 06:09:05 pm »
WATCH: First Dyfi osprey chicks of the season hatch in Machynlleth

The first chick hatched on Friday at 6.33pm followed by the second which was born earlier this afternoon
Monty the osprey and his mate, Glesni, spent the winter in Africa before returning to his nest near Machynlleth, looked after by the Dyfi Osprey Project.

The first chick hatched on Friday at 6.33pm followed by the second which was born earlier this afternoon.
Emyr Evans, of the Dyfi Osprey Project, said: “Sometimes nature can be so unpredictable, yet at other times, you can almost set your watch to it.

Great videos.....http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/watch-first-dyfi-osprey-chicks-9368635

Offline hollins

« Reply #1043 on: June 03, 2015, 06:22:00 pm »
Just had a visitor!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1044 on: June 03, 2015, 06:36:51 pm »
FAN tastic.....Very grand visitor.... $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #1045 on: June 06, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »
Another visitor on the drive today, Harry Heron this time!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1046 on: June 06, 2015, 02:50:23 pm »
A Peacock told me there was some fish around here.!!!!!!! ? ;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1047 on: June 07, 2015, 12:09:15 am »
Fabulous pics Hollins, you are being spoiled with all these bird species dropping in!  :)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1048 on: June 12, 2015, 06:23:27 pm »
Adder on Anglesey beach surprises photographer

This is the shocking moment an unsuspecting photographer realised a large adder on a North Wales beach wasn’t dead.
Darren Owen was walking on Cymyran beach on Anglesey when he spotted the snake on the sand.
Leaning in to take a picture of the reptile, he was shocked when the snake snapped at him.

Photos...http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/adder-anglesey-beach-surprises-photographer-9445119

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1049 on: June 14, 2015, 07:42:57 pm »
I was driving down Kings Drive in Colwyn Bay yesterday and as we were driving through the Pwllycrochan Woods, a large bird of prey flew across the road.   I know that there are many buzzards in the area but this bird was large and was a different colour to any Buzzard I've seen before.
My wife had a better look at this golden brown coloured bird and thought that it was an eagle but I've not seen any other reports of an Eagle in the area so it remains a mystery of what we actually saw.