Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527477 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1005 on: November 04, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »
Omg......... a good job Marco didn't decide to roll in it!

I think the smell must have been too much for even him, but he did leave his mark on a number of Jellyfish stranded on the beach.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1006 on: November 08, 2014, 12:26:47 pm »
I don't know if anyone remembers my discovery in June of four kittens in an old lawn roller in the garden?
Well here is the sequel. Two kittens disappeared never to be seen again but here are the two that survived. We finally managed to catch the mother in a cage and got them all to the vets to be neutered. They are all happily living life together. We still can't handle the mother but the kittens are used to us picking them up. They even have a cat flap in to the sun room now so they will have protection in the winter.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1007 on: November 08, 2014, 01:20:49 pm »
Hi Hollins, Nice story and photos, we had a similar experience 4 years ago, "wild" feral cat, four kittens etc. re homed funnily enough in Switzerland, but the story is about the mother who took up residence under our garden table, despite trying different boxes/sheds, she sleeps on a towel on the chair tucked under the table?, she just tolerates me bringing food out without running away, in the end I opened the back window leaned over and put the food out, one night I left the window open, and was surprised when she came in while I was watching TV, she checked the room out then walked over to where I was sitting, jumped up, lay down next to me, still cannot touch her but for the last 4 years we have watched telly together and when I switch off, back under the table!!    &shake&

Offline hollins

« Reply #1008 on: November 08, 2014, 01:37:56 pm »
Amazing, great story. They certainly have a mind of their own.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1009 on: November 08, 2014, 04:41:45 pm »

There is an old adage that says, "you don't adopt a cat - a cat adopts you."   Still rings true today!
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1010 on: November 08, 2014, 05:22:51 pm »

There is an old adage that says, "you don't adopt a cat - a cat adopts you."   Still rings true today!
 ZXZ
Makes a lot of sense... $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1011 on: November 11, 2014, 12:23:08 pm »

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #1012 on: November 11, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »
another thing said about the difference about cats and dogs, dogs have masters whilst cats have servants how very true.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1013 on: November 21, 2014, 10:17:11 am »
LOOK: Whale rescued after getting stranded on Anglesey beach.

“Pygmy sperm whales are more common in the warmer waters off west Africa. They have been found increasingly in European waters in the past few years because of climate change."
“We are quite excited because sightings of these types of Kogia whales are quite rare.”

Photos...http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/look-whale-rescued-after-getting-8146356#rlabs=11

Offline hollins

« Reply #1014 on: December 20, 2014, 11:01:47 am »
We bought this bird feeding basket at the Manchester Christmas Market a few days ago. I think this is a woodpecker enjoying the contents. Sorry for poor photo but had to take it on full zoom through the kitchen window.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1015 on: January 07, 2015, 11:28:43 pm »
Tonight, the security light snapped on.... and I assumed it was a little cat that has been regularly visiting us, but NO!

Right in front of me, not frightened by me, or the bright lights was this very mangy, pathetic fox.

I felt really sorry for it, because its hind quarters were as bald as my head, and red-raw and sore looking in many places. it may well have been blind?   It stayed a long while, and never seemed aware of me standing only 3 feet away.

What is one to do when you see an animal suffering like this?   Surely the RSPCA are not interested in foxes?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #1016 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:29 am »
I feed up to a dozen Fox's every night and have done so for the last five years,about three months ago some of them showed signs of mange so I got in touch with the fox welfare society they said if I administered the medicine they would supply it for free.so when it arrived my wife bought some round doughnuts every day for three weeks to which I took a small biro type pen as used in a bookies and inserted a hole in the doughnut and inserted five drops of this medicine into same.being ball shaped I found I was able to throw these at the feet of the foxes I wanted to treat.i am glad to say this appeared to work  as the four I fed tonight all seemed to be regaining their coats.all the local taxi drivers see me feeding these foxes and sound their horns or slow down to show their passengers.the latest I have fed them was 2.20 am on a new years day when a police patrol car stopped and asked me what I was doing,luckily the foxes appeared or I may have been carted away.but if the mange does get a hold it can make the fox blind and lead to its death

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1017 on: January 08, 2015, 11:04:54 am »
Very interesting Dwyforite...... especially about the blindness.   This one in my garden may well be past help, but I don't like to see it suffering.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1018 on: January 08, 2015, 11:17:53 am »
Well done Dwyforite for looking after the Foxes and caring for their welfare.  Wild animals need all the help and protection they can get so keep up the good work   $good$

I've never seen a Fox with the mange as bad as the one Fester photographed, it looked absolutely awful.   Is there any body people should notify when they see an animal in that condition?

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1019 on: January 08, 2015, 11:46:13 am »
I would get in touch with the National Fox Welfare Society Fester. They have a website wwn.nfws.org.uk or e-mail them the photographs to natfox@ntlworld.com or telephone Fox Rescue Emergency 07778183954. They also have a face book page.