Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527772 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #945 on: June 22, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »
A Swiss insect shed.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #946 on: June 22, 2014, 03:03:40 pm »
Nice, but is it only for Swiss insects?  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #947 on: June 22, 2014, 03:17:46 pm »
Good point! I think the foreigners will need an insect passport.

Offline Jack

« Reply #948 on: June 22, 2014, 03:48:33 pm »
Here is a Welsh bug hotel  $walesflag$ at Pensychnant, Conwy.

Offline hollins

« Reply #949 on: June 22, 2014, 04:01:36 pm »
Ha! Well done Jack. I had never seen one before.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #950 on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:05 pm »
I've been walking on the sandy beach at Old Colwyn a lot recently and noticed more and more Jellyfish stranded on the sand.  There are a number of different varieties on the beach and are mainly small ones but I've also seen a few big ones too.
By chance there was a TV programme this week that said that the Jellyfish population has increased for some unknown reason and they wanted people to report on the sightings so they could build up a complete picture of their movements and numbers

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #951 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:20 pm »
Look who came visiting this morning. Isn't he wonderful?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #952 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:23 pm »
I hope that you weren't tempted to  kiss him though Nemesis!       :)

Offline hollins

« Reply #953 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:49 am »
Too far away really for a decent photo but hope you can see this heron perched high up in the sequoia.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #954 on: July 26, 2014, 11:48:10 am »
I hope that you weren't tempted to  kiss him though Nemesis!       :)

Actually I was sick as a parrot that I missed him-- I was doing the weekly shop in Asda and my OH snapped him, so no, but it might have been interesting !!!! :o

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #955 on: July 27, 2014, 01:36:34 am »
The Baby Seagull that has been plaguing my life for the past few days is no more.

Basically, since it took up residence in our garden, the garden has been off-limits to Mrs Fester and I as we get swooped on and attacked by any number of adult seagulls if we dare to venture outside. It's an annual occurrence this.

However, a 3am commotion this morning, outside my Mum's bedroom... (she is visiting us for her 80th Birthday) ... saw a fox with something substantial in it's mouth being attacked by a mass of seagulls as it made it's way down the road.

No baby seagull in sight this morning, and circumstantial evidence suggests, it made a tasty meal for the fox family.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #956 on: July 27, 2014, 06:35:00 pm »
The Baby Seagull that has been plaguing my life for the past few days is no more.

Basically, since it took up residence in our garden, the garden has been off-limits to Mrs Fester and I as we get swooped on and attacked by any number of adult seagulls if we dare to venture outside. It's an annual occurrence this.

However, a 3am commotion this morning, outside my Mum's bedroom... (she is visiting us for her 80th Birthday) ... saw a fox with something substantial in it's mouth being attacked by a mass of seagulls as it made it's way down the road.

No baby seagull in sight this morning, and circumstantial evidence suggests, it made a tasty meal for the fox family.
I salute that fox.  &shake&

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #957 on: July 30, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
been doing some gardening  in curlycaps garden down the road from you fester and there were a load of feathers in the garden but no remains, looked like young seagull feathers, also some strange grey droppings close to similar to dog droppings

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #958 on: July 31, 2014, 01:15:04 pm »
The 'strange grey droppings' sound about right Snowcap. You can tell the difference if the dog rolls in them-- you can't breathe ! :puke2:

craigollerton

« Reply #959 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:13 pm »
Pigeons can be all year if they have the right conditions, we have a week old baby now!

I've had a funny year with pigeons Merddin. A little story to tell... but cut a long story short...

I popped back home with a grapevine for the garden and went out to plant it, turned round to pick up a trowel and there it was sat on the back door step. First I thought it must have broken something, was very tame so I picked up spotted the ring underneath and started investigating. 3 days later after force feeding it by hand (wouldn't eat for itself), it started to eat and drink without assistance. Great I thought, then I get a phone call from the Pigeon Association with a chap 3 miles away, so returned it to the owner. Owner was thrilled as most that get returned never make it, mainly because the pigeons are unfamiliar with their new surroundings or are fed the wrong type of food which the pigeon rejects. So I here he is... sat on my shelf in the conservatory. I would let him out during the day, firstly because I wanted rid but then he'd come back at dusk all by himself.

Anyway, I there was this pair of pigeons which had spotted me feeding him, and one of them came back over randomly having seen me scattering some of my remaining seed on the roof. Next thing 3.30 p.m. on the dot it would sit on my conservatory door waiting to be fed!

And here is a snap of me feeding the little bugga...

Well I went on hols for a month, came back nowhere to be seen. Then the following day it was up on the roof again, not come down since yet though. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Shall see.

Fascinating animals pigeons, and some have lovely colours on their plumage.