Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527783 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #915 on: April 18, 2014, 03:35:01 pm »
A busy bee!

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #916 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:34 pm »
about time they were back in work getting warmer now, nice one Hollins

Offline Hugo

« Reply #917 on: April 21, 2014, 03:28:03 pm »
A beautiful photo of the flower and Bumblebee, did you take it with your new Sony  camera?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #918 on: April 21, 2014, 03:35:46 pm »
I've been forever stocking up my bird feeder with the Nyger seeds as the Goldfinches are going crazy after them and I even had to buy another large bag of the seeds this week.
I had never seen them in the garden until I started feeding them with these Nyger seeds and it was only after reading a posting from Bellringer that I tried it out and have enjoyed seeing them ever since.
They are such a beautiful bird and The Metz even had them nesting in his garden last year but sadly he said, the Winter gales destroyed the bush that they were nesting in.

Offline hollins

« Reply #919 on: April 21, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »
A beautiful photo of the flower and Bumblebee, did you take it with your new Sony  camera?

Thanks Hugo. Yes the Sony camera has given me a lot of pleasure. It will be a year old in June. I seem to have taken 4636 photos with it but lots have been deleted of course. I try to hang on to it very closely having seen the nasty accident that DaveR's had but at Portmeirion I had a near miss tripping on some steps but fortunately Mr Hollins was there to catch us!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #920 on: April 21, 2014, 05:36:01 pm »
The pair of goldfinches are again very much in evidence in the garden.  I just haven't found where they put  have the nest this year

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #921 on: May 06, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »
I thought I saw a black and white Cat running with the goats yesterday but on closer inspection today  it looks to be a small or possibly young black and white goat. Sorry about the quality of the photograph (well out of the range of my zoom lens) but has anyone any idea what this little animal is. Could it be one of the Black goats mentioned in the 2011 entry in this section of the forum?

Offline hollins

« Reply #922 on: May 07, 2014, 05:53:57 pm »
There is a bit of an assortment here!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #923 on: May 20, 2014, 10:58:15 pm »
This large beetle has been flying around just lately, some sort of stag beetle??
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #924 on: May 20, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »
Looks like it is a cockchafer!  usually found in the South of England!

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/species-of-the-day/biodiversity/economic-impact/melolontha-melolontha/

Offline Linda

« Reply #925 on: May 20, 2014, 11:11:57 pm »
Commonly known as the May bug, we used to get loads banging against our windows then falling to the floor, our dog then was very curious and she used to nose them about, and we had to stop her picking them up and carrying them around in her mouth, she was gentle but the bugs didnt like it too much lol.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #926 on: May 20, 2014, 11:21:17 pm »
We can't recall seeing one before??

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #927 on: May 21, 2014, 08:39:09 am »
Looks like it is a cockchafer!  usually found in the South of England!

That's climate change for you :-))  Mind you, we also get false widow spiders here, and even further North...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #928 on: May 21, 2014, 12:02:01 pm »
We used to get them each year, bumping around the outside light, but haven't had any for a couple of years. Must watch out for them as they tend to terrify some people !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #929 on: May 21, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »
I hope you don't mind me putting in a photo from Ruthin, but I love this one of the swans and 8 cygnets at our local park