Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 542042 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #810 on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:40 pm »
This is most odd The Medz. An amazing coincidence.

I actually think that very bird was in my house for several hours today! (Between lunchtime a 5pm)
You see, my neighbours cat brought the finch home in its mouth, (unharmed)
My neighbour knew I loved birds, and wondered if I should look after it. 
No problem, and Mrs Fester popped it in a cage and fed it.  We were contemplating involving Merddin Emrys in this affair.

Then we realised that another neighbour kept finches in an aviary, and eventually popped round and discovered that it was one of his!   I hope it doesn't escape again.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #811 on: February 15, 2013, 12:03:48 am »
neighbours every body needs good neighbours,nice one fester.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #812 on: February 15, 2013, 12:12:27 am »
they say cats have nine lives , how about the poor little finch , the cat brought it in , who knows what it went through from The Meds taking it,s photo and the cat bringing home without harming it. Hope it has learned it,s lesson and stays were it will be looked after.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #813 on: February 15, 2013, 07:02:01 am »
What a great story, with a happy ending!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #814 on: February 15, 2013, 08:32:36 am »
What a lovely story-- with a happy ending as you say ME

Are there more Robins around this year? I always thought that they were territorial birds, but I had 2 on the bird table together yesterday and two more singing in the bushes in the garden.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #815 on: February 17, 2013, 07:13:02 pm »
this is a not such a nice ending but here goes. This morning I noticed a goat on the cliff tops at blackgate and it appeared to be chasing off rooks or crows that were hanging around what looked like a little newborn kid, when I pointed it out to the wife she said she had seen it there yesterday doing more or less the same thing but had not noticed the kid. The goat kept wandering off and returning to the same spot but the kid did not move over a period of a couple of hours and I realised the kid must have fell off the cliff edge and landed below with a devastating effect .Now for the bad news. I'm Looking up and can't believe my eye's there are two dogs off there leads and fighting over the dead kid with the mindless owner stood above them oblivious of what is going on on the cliff edge below him at this time the goat had been joined by two others and they could only look on and watch the two scavengers with there kid Eventually the idiot realised what was going on and was able to eventually call the dogs off. The goats left after a while and they seem to be getting on with there lives. It's made me wander what those dogs will do next time they see a kid and if that b------d as learned a lesson about letting his dogs run around off there leads. to say i am wild is not scratching the surface.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #816 on: February 17, 2013, 09:45:19 pm »
On the same theme. We were awoken from our sleep at about 7am yesterday by a screaming noise on the lower reaches of the Orme near the traffic lights at Black Gate. Looking out of the window we saw a young goat trying to deliver a kid. It's position was precarious on about a forty five degree slope. For the next hour we kept an eye on the goings on but no delivery. About 9pm the usual walking traffic up the Orme began to get going and  a couple with two dogs approached more intent on taking photos of the view than watching their dogs. One dog off its lead went right up to the goat and barked causing the goat to try and get up and failed rolling down the slope onto the platform near the lights making all sort so noise in obvious distress. The goat eventually got enough energy to find its way into the parking area of the house on the top of old road. Still trying to give birth. After endless calls to the Orme warden. No response just a broken  answer phone we left the goat in peace. A couple of hours of waiting and endless viewings from a distance we saw a a passing vet or something similar (apparently used to delivering lambs but not goats) had arrived  in passing and took charge. With the help of a few of us (supporting , hot water towels ! and in one case taking part by holding the goat by the horns to save it trying to run off)  she diagnosed a breach position. Withno appearance from the RSPSCA who we'd rung she decided to try and extract the kid manually. After a further half hour  she managed to pull out the kid but after a few sharp intakes of breath it gave up its struggle. The vet said it was way short of its normal delivery time and it had stood little chance of making it out alive. The dog had definitely not helped the situation. A Saturday I'll never forget.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #817 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »
I saw you many times walking over to try and keep watch on the goat, not much fun in this weather. I saw the better half with you a couple of times and had an idea that was what the trouble was. At least you made sure no harm came to the poor creature. It's a shame the way it turned out.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #818 on: February 19, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »
Lots of seals at Angel Bay at the moment, let's hope no one disturbs them!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #819 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:26 am »
there should be a ranger around to keep an eye on them until the idiots who go down to them learn to keep away

Offline Hugo

« Reply #820 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »
It's nice to see so many Seals back there ME,  thanks for posting that.   I'll pop down there soon to have a look.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #821 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:40 am »
Been for a quick look at the seals this morning-- I managed to spot 15 on the beach and 1 swimming around.
It was like Siberia on there, perishing, the wind cut through you. Frizzy enjoyed the walk though. Nice to see a doggie bin which had actually been emptied too.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #822 on: February 21, 2013, 08:53:19 pm »
Living in the middle of a housing estate in Llandudno Junction we're getting quite a few birds never before seen in our garden in the 36 years we've lived here ... the last couple of years has seen many goldfinches (12 at the highest count) - they're with us every day and cost us a fortune in niger seeds!

But very recently we've seen up to 6 redpolls and a flock of long-tailed tits, along with siskins and a lone male bullfinch.  Few weeks ago a lesser woodpecker landed in our tree and we've seen a sparrow-hawk take out a couple of the feral pigeons that we're plagued with.

Blue tits, coal tits and sparrows seem to regular inspectors of the nesting-boxes, although we have only had blue tits nesting in them in the past.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #823 on: February 26, 2013, 05:17:10 pm »
There were 12 seals on the beach at Angel Bay when I went there this afternoon. There were 11 in a close huddle and a whitish coloured one on its own much further away.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #824 on: February 26, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
Few weeks ago a lesser woodpecker landed in our tree and we've seen a sparrow-hawk take out a couple of the feral pigeons that we're plagued with.

Several woodpeckers by the sounds of it(not seen them yet) also in evidence in the trees on the slopes behind Roft Place on the Orme.

Never known so many Blue tits and Robins in the garden since I introduced the black sunflower seeds into the feeders.

Still awaiting the return of the Goldfinches. Despite the building work and scaffolding going on next door during the last year the nest is still intact from last year.