Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 542182 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #795 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »
Tellytubby is really good at identifying birds and has taken some lovely pictures of many different types. At the moment he isn't sure how to post those photos on the forum so I've sent him an e-mail today which may help him.
Hopefully we can look forward to some of his photos on here in the future.      $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #796 on: November 26, 2012, 10:43:16 pm »
good to see nice pictures of birds  D) I never really know the rare ones mind, even though I'm a member of the RSPB! :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #797 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:12 pm »
Are there only three Wheatears in the UK because they got left behind?

According to the RSPB they are migratory, and relatively prevalent in the UK between March and October?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #798 on: November 26, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »
Are there only three Wheatears in the UK because they got left behind?

According to the RSPB they are migratory, and relatively prevalent in the UK between March and October?

When it says migratory it means between Asia and the Arabian Desert. They are rare in the UK.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #799 on: December 25, 2012, 11:19:24 pm »
We went to see the starlings at Colwyn bay Pier this afternoon, they put on a great display!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #800 on: December 26, 2012, 02:03:28 pm »
Had a spotted Woodpecker visit our bird table on Christmas Day and also saw another fox wandering down the middle of the road at 1.30am this morning.

Large Camel in the sea by the pier this morning !! :twoface: _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #801 on: December 29, 2012, 10:19:43 am »
Visitors to the garden this morning!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #802 on: December 29, 2012, 10:53:28 am »
Wow! Are there many wild deer by you?

Offline hollins

« Reply #803 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36:04 am »
We don't really know to be honest. We don't see them that often but the Deer Initiative are coming to do a survey and maybe put some cameras in the woods so we may know more in the future.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #804 on: December 29, 2012, 05:39:18 pm »
You're very lucky to have such lovely visitors to your garden Hollins.      $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #805 on: January 11, 2013, 10:06:44 pm »
A bit of a cheat, this one, because it wasn't local but this robin was really tame. The photo wasn't taken with a zoom The robin was quite happily standing right by our feet but we were in the Lake District not North Wales.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #806 on: January 11, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »
Very cute! he was local to you at the time!  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #807 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »
I've just been watching a large Crow in my garden and could see that it was digging up the peanuts that the Squirrel had previously buried.  It was quite funny watching him do it but when the Crow went to pull up the Daffodils that had just sprouted above the ground I wasn't amused and sent him packing but no doubt it'll be back.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #808 on: January 16, 2013, 09:41:12 pm »
I have to admit having a growing dislike for jackdaws since I've moved here. Can't recall ever having coming across them before moving but they eat everything I put out for the smaller birds before they have chance to take it. However on saying that you have to admire their ingenuity. I have put up several feeders in positions the garden that should allow the smaller birds to get a chance to feed. The jackdaws have taken a good look and every time I put up a feeder they find a way. The latest one is to swoop down and brush against and swing the feeder so that the bird seed comes out of the side and falls to the floor. The best example however was on the road outside the house where one jackdaw was stood on a disposed of half empty crisp bag while another one spread the broken crisps out onto the road for the rest of them to snack on.

As an aside I think we should be expecting a new batch of kid goats in the near future if the recent strange noises and antics from the goats on the lower reaches of the Orme are anything to go by.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #809 on: February 14, 2013, 05:55:02 pm »
First spotting of the new batch of Orme Goat kids today. Nice feeling made nicer by the sun coming out for a change. Also spotted this little chap in the hedgerows on the way back from town via Haulfre. White Zebra Finch according to thinternet and usually found in a cage.