Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 545030 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #765 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:15 am »

Sorry it's not a better photo - I still have only my mobile phone as a camera.

Still miles clearer than mine and that's just with your phone!
Well done Blodyn, maybe I should get a phone with a camera....... :laugh:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #766 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:26 pm »
Sometimes 'tis not the equipment, but the way it's used!  Is the lens clean, and do you have it set to anti-shake?    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #767 on: September 24, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »
Yes, bad workman always blames his tools.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #768 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:15 pm »
I was sitting in the sun lounge the other day and got my binoculars out to see if the Finches were feeding but couldn't see any there,  Just in the branch above the feeder I could see why. 
There was a hawk there, a different one to the Sparrow Hawk I had seen in the garden previously.  This one had a blueish grey head but was of a similar size to the Sparrow Hawk.
I went outside to chase it away but it had flown away before I got out of the house.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #769 on: October 03, 2012, 09:46:25 pm »
Hollins, there's nothing wrong with your photos!  My success rate with the phone camera is poorer than that with a "prpoer" camera, so I have to take more photos. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #770 on: October 05, 2012, 10:24:29 am »
I've just been watching a male and female Greater Spotted Woodpecker feeding on the peanuts in the garden.  I haven't seen them for a while so it's nice to see them again and I've topped the feeders up just in case they visit again.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #771 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:07 pm »
I saw these in the garden the other day, a Comma butterfly and a grasshopper type of insect

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #772 on: October 06, 2012, 09:29:27 pm »
Superb photos ME.
We had some visitors to our garden last week. A cat with two small kittens. They established themselves in an old rabbit hole. The mother drank the several pints of milk we put out for it and now they have moved on to pastures new and are nowhere to be seen!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #773 on: October 08, 2012, 09:08:25 pm »
Fantastic photos, ME.

Hollins, I hope your pretty visitors have found themselves a safe home.  One of my cats was a stray who appeared in the garden.  It took three years to get him to come indoors at all and another year before he moved in properly.  Now he can't be bothered to go out much and he's curled up on my lap as I'm typing this. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #774 on: October 14, 2012, 01:17:05 pm »
Last night was a busy time in our garden for the Badgers.  I had set the security lights to be activated further up the garden where they feed and sure enough at about 8.00 pm the first two appeared and the Brock was really big, probably the biggest we have seen here. They were there for a while and then just went next door.  Our dog was unaware of their presence because he was fast asleep but the next two were smaller and Marco just stood by the glass door watching them until they vanished in the night.
When we go to bed I normally go into the garden to make sure that the Badgers have all gone but as soon as I opened the door and the security light came on there was another one in the borders so I had to go and scare them away before letting Marco go out.
It was nice seeing them and watching the large Brock go on his hind legs trying to get to the peanut feeder was quite amusing.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #775 on: October 15, 2012, 02:43:36 pm »
Hugo, you are lucky to be able to watch badgers from the comfort of your home - what a treat!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #776 on: October 21, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »
Just a few of the Birds and animals we saw yesterday in Llangollen

Offline Hugo

« Reply #777 on: November 06, 2012, 05:42:05 pm »
I was sitting in the sunlounge a few days ago when a male Sparrowhawk swooped across the garden and perched on a tree just above the peanut feeder. I ran out as quick as I could and off he flew before he could attack any of the birds in the garden.
A couple of days before that, I could see feathers in the garden from a Woodpigeon and ever since we have not had any Woodpigeons in the garden whereas three normally called every day.  The pigeons are pretty big birds and I would have thought that the Sparrowhawks would have gone for the smaller birds.

Offline Jack

« Reply #778 on: November 10, 2012, 05:04:43 pm »
Up to 100 waxwings have been seen in the Mostyn Champneys car park this afternoon in the B&Q and DFS areas.  They are rare visitors to these shores from Northern Europe and a very striking bird indeed.  Lots of birdwatchers and photographers looking for them.

Offline Tellytubby

« Reply #779 on: November 10, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »
 $good$ :o D) Excellent photo Jack - I haven't seen any this year but was lucky to get some good photo's at Sainsbury Rhyl last year. I've been out on the river clwyd this afternoon and seen large flocks of redwing and fieldfare and a merlin.

Will have to pop over to LLandudno.