Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 545023 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #720 on: August 17, 2012, 07:11:03 pm »
:o :o horrifying!  :(

Thought you might have that reaction!  By the way do you have turkey for Xmas?   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #721 on: August 17, 2012, 07:23:33 pm »
:o :o horrifying!  :(

Thought you might have that reaction!  By the way do you have turkey for Xmas?   :D

No! We have been vegetarians for many years, we also love pigeons after rescuing several in need oh help.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #722 on: August 18, 2012, 07:59:11 am »
By the way do you have turkey for Xmas?

Not this christmas - -  -  - - We had chicken.  :D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #723 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45:33 am »
I've often fancied cooking a multi-bird roast where you have a turkey stuffed with a goose and followed by, say, duck, mallard, guinea fowl, chicken, pheasant, partridge, pigeon, woodcock, etc. up to a maximum of 9 or 10 different birds.

Apparently this was a classic dish in past times and no doubt a favourite of Mrs Beeton!

I tried the ALDI three bird roast but it didn't carve very well, but was certainly tasty.

$drink$
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #724 on: August 18, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »
That to me is like someone eating a meal made out of your friends and pets!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #725 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »
I suppose it must look that way to some with special dietary regimes, but most people are brought up to eat met in all it's forms.   As we know in other parts of the world, dogs are eaten as is bush-meat and even human flesh.  Despite my liking for meat I have a great love for animals but have to consider how what I eat has been bred and looked after during the creatures short life. Generally  I am quite happy with what I see and understand. 

Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #726 on: August 18, 2012, 10:12:10 pm »
My Mrs likes the 3 bird roast from Aldi. But for me, definitely not my kind of thing. 1 type of game meat, fine - if you like that kind of thing. - But mixing it - doesnt that kind of destroy the flavour?????.

I have hunted/shot numerous types of game, even wood pigeon, but only for the pan. & they all have their distinctive taste. (no they dont all taste like chicken :D)

I have spoken to a local game huntsman, because I worry about my birds being shot, (by him) & he has told me that he recognises my birds as domestic because they all fly & turn together, & circle the same area without breaking formation. + they are there virtually every day. So he doesnt target my birds. (very professional)
On the other hand though - everything else that moves is fair game.
Its not fair, but theres nothing that can be done. If its game, or considered a pest, then it can be hunted.
Im not totally against a lot of these hunting sports, eg. hare coursing - most hares are bred for the sport (cruel) but quite a number escape which adds to the wild population.
Fox hunting - fair enough, the fox is at the top of its food chain, & because it is so adaptable, we could soon be over-run with foxes if it wasnt for the hunters - but they should play fair, if the fox goes to ground, then the hunters should  give in to defeat, (its got away) & not start digging up its earth & sending the terriers in.

Still very opinionated (& fair to all wild beasties)

Rob

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #727 on: August 24, 2012, 10:52:10 am »
There's a bumblebee nest in St.Tudno's churchyard!  I'm really excited about this as bumblebee nests can be hard to find. 

These are buff tailed bumblebees.  Buff tailed bumblebees nest in holes below ground (e.g. mouse holes) and the photo shows a bumblebee in flight just leaving the nest entrance amongst the grass (sorry it's not a good photo, I've still got only my mobile phone).  If you're visiting St. Tudno's, the nest is close to the main path through the churchyard and there's a notice close to the nest with some information on it.   

Nearly all of the bees going in and out of the nest will be female worker bees (the queen is very much bigger than the workers).  The males appear in late summer and do not gather pollen or return to the nest once they have left it, though they may hang around waiting to meet the new queens.  At night and if it is raining, the female bees stay in the nest but the males have to find other shelter, often under flowers which they use like umbrellas.  The second photo shows a male garden bumblebee elsewhere on the Orme, sheltering under a dropwort flower head. 

In the autumn, the old queen, workers and males will all die and the new queens will each search for another hole in the ground in which to hibernate.  The queens emerge again in spring and each will look for a suitable place in which to make a nest and form a new colony.

The buff tailed bumblebee is one of the more common bumblebees in the UK.  However, the numbers of all bumblebees have been declining as the number of wildflower meadows has declined,  which is one of the reasons I'm so pleased to have found a nest in the churchyard. 

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #728 on: August 24, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »
I had a pair of robins nesting in a box in my garden early last year, they laid their eggs (5)  - then abandoned their nest.
I didnt disturb the nest, but a few weeks later I saw bees flying in & out of the nest, & came to the conclusion that as the birds were building their nest, a hibernating bee must have laid its eggs, which must have hatched as the robins were laying theirs.
I try not to disturb nature, & I was more exited (if thats the word) at the bumble bees using my box, even though they used it at the expense of a clutch of robins.

Bumble bees have been at risk for a few years now so it is always nice to see a nest of them, especially in my garden.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #729 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »
This year I have noticed far few Butterflies than usual and wondered if this was a general trend around the country.  I was lucky this week though to see a Peacock Butterfly in the garden and as I was walking my dog a small blue Butterfly landed near me. I don't know the variety but it wasn't one like those on the Orme as it was twice as big and a brighter blue than those Orme ones.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #730 on: August 26, 2012, 12:15:21 am »
saw 2 red admirals last week when cutting the grass, thought they looked larger than usual but like you said there seems to be less about this year, may be the weather

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #731 on: August 27, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »
I had a walk on the Common Land above Bryn Cadno yesterday and saw numerous Butterflies of different varieties but still not as many as I would have expected at this time of year.
There are loads of Nettles and wild flowers that attract them to that particular site.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #732 on: August 27, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »
There's been a MURDER!

Well, I have cordoned off the area as it looks most suspicious.

Last night the security light overlooking our garden kept flicking on and off, but there was nothing to see each time I peered out.

But, today I see that the entire lawn is covered with a carpet of white feathers....but nothing else except a few blood splats.

Yes, it looks like a fully fledged seagull has bitten the dust.
The main suspects are Mr Sparrowhawk, and Mr Fox!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #733 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:02 pm »
Mr fox is the main suspect.
A fledged seagull is way too large for a sparrowhawk to attack, never mind kill.
Peregrine falcon?? not very likely as they only hunt in daylight.
There are no wild owls in Llandudno large enough to kill a seagull.

I suppose a lot of people will think: ah well, thats one less.
But a seaside town wouldnt be quite right without the cry of the seagulls. - even if it is at 4am in the morning    ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #734 on: August 27, 2012, 09:27:54 pm »
Actually.... now you mention it, there have been some pretty whopping owls in the trees behind my house recently.
One in particular.
I only see it in silhouette, but it is very large and statuesque. 

Another suspect in the line-up!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -