Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527578 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #705 on: August 02, 2012, 05:01:04 pm »
Doing a bit of gardening today and suddenly on the raised (3 feet) a stone moved!   Not a stone I discovered but a Toad (or is it a frog?).

Popped him (or her) on a courgette leaf to take the shot.   It has now disappeared somewhere.  There is no water feature in our garden or any other garden around us, so we are wondering where it came from or what "make" it actually is.    D)

Nearest I can find is a Common Toad or Woodhouse Toad.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #706 on: August 02, 2012, 10:07:54 pm »
Looks like a common toad to me. They live on land for most of their lives & are mainly solitary. They  "get together" with numerous other toads once a year just to mate, in a pool which they use every year, then they go their separate ways again.
They only really need water to breed, so there is no point looking around for a pond in which it may live.
I couldnt tell you whether it is male or female, but when I have seen them in their masses "courting", the males are considerable smaller than the females.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #707 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:02 pm »
The Toad is great! 
It was very nice of him (or her?) to pose for you so patiently,
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #708 on: August 03, 2012, 12:36:12 am »
c.mon Yorkie you been sunbathing again?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #709 on: August 03, 2012, 08:47:15 am »
I couldnt tell you whether it is male or female, but when I have seen them in their masses "courting", the males are considerable smaller than the females.
Sounds like Club 147 to me...  :laugh:

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #710 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:06 am »
As Jj and I were locking up last night something caught my eye at first I thought it was a rat and was horrified.  I stood in the darkness and watched as the creature scurried along the wall.......that's one fat rat I thought.  On closer inspection it turned out to be a Hedgehog.  The quality of the photo isn't that good sorry.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #711 on: August 03, 2012, 11:52:29 am »
Set your camera to Autoflash.    ;)
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #712 on: August 03, 2012, 11:57:34 am »
It was Yorkie, the photo was taken in the pitch black  :)
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #713 on: August 03, 2012, 06:43:25 pm »
A Hedgehog scurries around our block of flats each night, also three foxes, usually about 11-00 / 11-15pm. Some of the residents have been putting food out for them, but as soon as I try to take a photo, they're off like shot.   :(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #714 on: August 04, 2012, 12:11:58 pm »
Saw a fox walking down St Seiriol's Road the other night.  No I hadn't had a drink.!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #715 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:47 pm »
Two in Rectory Lane regularly I am informed
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #716 on: August 04, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »
There's a pack of about 5 or 6 roaming on the slopes of Pen Dinas and they are regular middle of the night visitors to Black Gate. I haven't seen one of them abide by the traffic lights yet?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #717 on: August 17, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »
Pigeon shooting been happening all afternoon on Dinerth!   Pigeon pie or roast, will no doubt be on someone's menu once they've hung a bit!

$dins$
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #718 on: August 17, 2012, 05:44:07 pm »
 :o :o horrifying!  :(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #719 on: August 17, 2012, 06:56:20 pm »
Pigeon shooting!!!!!!!
DON'T DO IT!!!
Its inhumane - -  - - They may be peoples pets that are being shot.  :(
How would people like it if their pet rabbits - hamsters - cats - dogs etc. were being targeted.

Wood pigeons are often shot for sport, but there are often other (pigeon) casualties.

Pigeons shouldnt be targeted any more because of  the re-introduction of 'endangered' birds of prey. These tend to keep the wild pigeon numbers down & they also attack/kill domestic pigeons kept for pets/sport.

So in conclusion, the more wild pigeons that are killed for sport -  the more domestic pigeons will be taken - More birds of prey will breed successfully - more domestic pigeons will be killed due to lack of natural food. - Domestic pigeon keepers will then diminish.

IDEA!!!! - send the pigeon shooters to west shore & let them shoot any dogs whose owners dont pick up their poop, & let them shoot someone else's pets.

Pigeon opinionated

Rob