Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528426 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2012, 03:54:57 pm »
We have had quite a few Sparrow hawk attacks with feathers and 1/2 eaten birds on the grass in the back. Usually all the bird apart from I think it is the liver gets eaten, but the feathers are a nasty reminder.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2012, 04:21:43 pm »
Theres not a lot you can do about them. They are habitual birds. If they see my birds out at a particular time each day, they tend return at at around that time every day, so if I see one around, I tend to make sure my birds are in, then I vary the times when I release them. I dont like to provide the local hawk population with food. I do have to breed more birds than I want because I know that I will lose a few every year.
The only deterrent which may work for you is to buy a life size plastic bird of prey & put it in a prominent spot in your garden, because birds of prey are not very sociable with each other & they will see it as a threat. It has to be moved to different places in the garden every week or two, because they will eventually get wise to it if it doesnt move.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #692 on: July 21, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »
About 3 times in the last year I've saved pigeons from the dreaded sparrow hawk! I'm not keen on them at all!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #693 on: July 21, 2012, 07:02:03 pm »
I am a little unsure about the plastic bird idea! Many years ago we were advised to put a plastic owl on the roof to deter seagulls. They sit and snuggle up to the bloomin' thing !!
Once had a woman sitting on a picnic stool in the back lane with a pair of field glasses. Didn't like to say anything-----but -----

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #694 on: July 22, 2012, 10:27:31 am »
The plastic bird of prey idea can work, but for it to be effective, it has to be moved quite often or the birds it is there to deter become wise to it. (then maybe snuggle up to it & use it as a windbreak)
Personally, I have never bothered & just accept the occasional losses.

I also keep a small number of fantail pigeons. These dont fly high enough for the peregrines to catch, & the sparrowhawks leave them alone because the big tails make them look too large for them to attack. They are also too alert & fast for the local cats. - I never lose any of these to predators, so I only ever need to breed from these if someone wants some.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #695 on: July 22, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »
My neighbour has a plastic Heron alongside her fish pond but the real thing just stands alongside it when it comes to eat the fish!   Perhaps I'll have to start cutting down on the food until things calm down a bit.  I won't stop feeding them but will stop topping up the feeders all the time.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #696 on: July 22, 2012, 01:33:40 pm »
I have had to cut down the amount of bird food offered, as the Pigeons were hogging it all and so were the Jackdaws, who were also waking everyone up with their arguing. The little birds haven't been able to get a look in despite my 'caged' feeder. The bigger birds have got so crafty that they nudge the feeder till food drops out and then they are happy !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #697 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:14 pm »
I have the same problem with the Pigeons and Crows and also the Squirrels but Marco's a good help as he chases the Crows and Squirrels away.
He doesn't seem to  mind the Pigeons and they only move away when he's very near to them.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #698 on: July 22, 2012, 06:20:17 pm »
Frizzy shoos the pigeons, but they are sitting on the old outhose roof eating seeds from a Valerian which grows there. This bugs him as he cannot get at them !

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #699 on: July 22, 2012, 08:33:31 pm »
Ive often heard that the plastic herons dont work - the theory is that herons are quite solitary birds & feed alone  - - Im not convinced.

I have always found that the tubular clear plastic feeders with the metal cap on the top (as in pic) tend to be pretty squirrel proof, & the larger birds struggle to use them.
If you use a feeding table, then any bird will feed from it.
The only prob with the hanging feeders, is that if mixed seed is used, the feeding birds are quite fussy what seeds they eat & will flick out what they dont want, so a lot will end up on the floor - for the pigeons & other undesirables
Basically, however you feed the birds, you will always end up feeding some undesirables.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #700 on: July 22, 2012, 09:12:35 pm »
I was told by the RSPB at the Junction that the best feed for this type of feeder is sunflower hearts.  Apparently very popular with all small species of birds.   Only just started using it today so no major results yet.    :D

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #701 on: July 22, 2012, 09:34:14 pm »
These feeders can be used for quite a few different types of seed.
You should soon see results once the birds have realised it is there.
Sunflower hearts are quite popular with the finches. Goldfinches especially, love them.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #702 on: July 23, 2012, 11:05:29 am »
There was a large Heron standing in the river outside the Royal Oak Hotel in Betws Y Coed yesterday, he seems to be there quite a bit.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #703 on: July 23, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »
Must like the beer!   Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo