Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527484 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #660 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:04 am »
if they pinch your fish chips and pea,s (£6 od) you,l soon change your mind, thieving little birds. or something like that.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #661 on: July 14, 2012, 09:10:22 am »
One for Ludo maybe?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #662 on: July 14, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »
Not one I shall be adding to my collection !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ludo

« Reply #663 on: July 14, 2012, 05:46:06 pm »
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #664 on: July 14, 2012, 11:47:06 pm »
that's how all gulls should be, STUFFED.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #665 on: July 15, 2012, 09:12:22 am »
Apparently they taste a lot better than Duck and have been sold as such.  Probably devoid of feathers and suitably butchered, of course!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #666 on: July 15, 2012, 10:34:11 am »
That is an insult to Yorkshire Pudding :P

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #667 on: July 15, 2012, 12:04:45 pm »
That is an insult to Yorkshire Pudding :P

I bet you like yours made in the meat pan with the juices dripping from the meat into the batter giving a soggy middle and a crispy outside.   Just like mi' Mum used to make!   ZXZ

And also served as an entree before the main course . . . . . .  WWW
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #668 on: July 15, 2012, 01:04:18 pm »
Like my Granny made as well !

It was served before the meal to fill people up, so that they didn't eat as much meat which was either the dearer item or rationed !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #669 on: July 16, 2012, 05:02:34 pm »
My recent purchase of a Squirrel proof peanut feeder isn't Squirrel proof!   :(          First the rodents took the lid of it so I sorted that out by wiring the lid back to the feeder.
Then I noticed later that the peanuts had all gone and discovered that the little blighters had gnawed through the wire at the bottom of the feeder and all the nuts dropped out.
I'm not giving up yet though as I have filled the bottom third of the feeder with stones and will put some more nuts in tomorrow. How long that will last I just don't know!    ???

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #670 on: July 17, 2012, 03:28:21 pm »
Sorry to hear you're having such trouble with the squirrels, Hugo.  My sister and brother-in-law used to have similar problems but (as I wasn't providing the food) it used be fascinating watching the squirrels working out how to beat the latest "squirrel-proof feeder. 

I don't have a problem with squirrels but have been trying some squirrel-proof feeders to deter big birds and give the little ones a chance.  They've stopped the jackdaws but the magpies with their longer beaks can still reach through the outer cage and can empty a suet ball or nut feeder in a day.  For the moment I've given up on those, which leaves the little birds with only the seed feeder.  As it's rather windy here, the feeders are all fixed securely to a wire fence, which probably helps the magpies. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #671 on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
I've been a bit slow in posting this but (don't look, Fester!) here's a picture of a cinnabar moth.  These will fly in the day, particularly if disturbed (e.g. while walking though long grass) as well as at night but they're usually too quick for me.  I think that this one was "grounded" by strong winds.  The caterpillars can be seen on ragwort in late summer and are a very distinctive orange with black bands. 

I've no idea what the big, hairy caterpillar is.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #672 on: July 17, 2012, 04:40:16 pm »
Here's a Tiger Moth in flight!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #673 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:00 pm »
Well, Yorkie, the caterpillar was probably big enough to grow into one of those!  ;D

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #674 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »
we thought the moth was a blood sucker when we were kids and would,nt go near them, all because of their colour.