Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527505 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #645 on: June 23, 2012, 10:09:28 am »
Tellytubby is a very keen birdwatcher and was there at 7.00am to take those photos and they are really good.
He's taken many more good photos of birds and this week told me of a possible sighting of an Eagle in the area so watch this space.

Offline pentan

« Reply #646 on: June 23, 2012, 12:01:05 pm »
No, strictly pigeons and a dove, friendly creatures ;D.  The North Wales Bird Trust on Bodafon Fields may be able to help, or perhaps some food could be thrown on to the roof? Not meant to feed seagulls though??  ???

Why not try some crack you seem to have plenty of it spaced out birds would suit you

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #647 on: June 23, 2012, 12:51:10 pm »
 ???  What??
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #648 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:46 pm »
As I've said elsewhere, I'm just catching up after not being on the Forum for a while. 

Lovely photos of the bee, Hollins; the spiders, Martin; and the pink starling by Tellytubby. 

It's good to hear of the progress of your goldfinches, TheMedz.  Next time you rescue a mouse, try picking it up by its tail.  It doesn't harm the mouse and it shouldn't be able to bite you.  However, this does not work with shrews, as a shrew held by the tail is able to climb up its own body (so to speak) and nip its rescuer. 

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #649 on: July 03, 2012, 07:29:09 pm »
Saw these little fellas on the flat roof earlier.......my Dad bought me a book on birds but i don't recognise them?  It looked like mother and chicks  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #650 on: July 03, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »
Blackbirds - the mother is on the right & 2 chicks to the left - - Only the male blackbird is black.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #651 on: July 03, 2012, 07:51:04 pm »
pfffft i thought they'd be more interesting than that.....

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #652 on: July 03, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »
They probably thought all those cables were oversize worms! L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #653 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:31 pm »
can,,t believe how much the young look like thrushes

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #654 on: July 03, 2012, 10:36:23 pm »
The chicks do look like song thrushes with the dark backs & speckled chest - They look nothing like blackbirds until they moult out their baby feathers.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #655 on: July 04, 2012, 12:47:49 am »
yep......blackbird chick  $good$ thanks

Offline Hugo

« Reply #656 on: July 08, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »
That niger feeder that I bought after hearing Bellringers story has been really good. Since the two Goldfinches started using it they have now become regular visitors and they must have nested nearby as their fledglings are using it too.
We have had Greenfinches there and the most colourful male Siskin now makes regular appearances.  In the short space of time the feeder has been refilled 3 times but it's well worth the money for the pleasure we've had watching them.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #657 on: July 08, 2012, 04:25:00 pm »
Pleased that the feeder is working out for you Hugo. We are also having a regular and nice variety of finches on our niger feeder too, as well as lots of blue tits etc on our peanut and sunflower seed feeders.

Unfortunately regular visits by those pesky squirrels too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #658 on: July 08, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
That was a great tip of yours Bellringer and thanks again.  We have problems with Squirrels too and can have  up to 3 at a time in the garden.
Marco doesn't care too much for them so we can rely on him to scare them off when he can.  I bought a Squirrel proof peanut feeder and thought that would be ok but the little blighters managed to get the lid off. I've now wired the lid up so that feeder is safe for the birds.
I have two other nut feeders but need them for the Greater Spotted Woodpecker that comes here sometimes so with those feeders it's a case of first come first served.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #659 on: July 12, 2012, 12:54:55 am »
Well, love 'em or hate 'em, (usually hate them) ... the baby seagull is still alive, and pottering about on my roof.
After several weeks.

I took a picture of it tonight but the quality was poor.
It is apparently getting fed, (according to the roofer working next door) by its Mother.

It is getting bigger, and developing.... surely it will soon be packed off to ice-cream stealing school.

In all seriousness, they have stolen from me, and are horrible to other people... but I didn't like to see a living creature suffering.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -