Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 544827 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #630 on: June 08, 2012, 04:48:31 pm »
Our resident game bird does a funny thing. He stands on the wall on one leg!
At first I thought he only had one leg but no, he hops off and the missing leg appears and he trots around quite normally.
Hope you can see what I mean from this heavily cropped photo.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #631 on: June 08, 2012, 05:10:14 pm »
Normal for birds, they seem to need to rest a leg, mind you we do have a visiting pigeon with one leg  :)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #632 on: June 09, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »
There were only two seals in the water at Angel Bay when we walked over the Little Orme today and I reckon that we must have been wetter than them.   
With the walk abandoned we went to Bodafon Farm and had a nice coffee and look at the Birds of Prey there.  Apparently though our favourite Otis the Little Owl was with some of his mates in the Victoria Centre today.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #633 on: June 16, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »
Bellringer, thanks very much for the tips you gave a few weeks ago on that new bird feeder.   My feeder has been hanging up for weeks with nothing really happening but today there were two Goldfinches busily pecking away at the seeds.
Hopefully they'll now be frequent visitors to the garden.   

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #634 on: June 16, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »
Good to hear that Hugo.

I heard some one on Springwatch say that birds had not been as plentiful on bird tables and feeders in the last few weeks because they have all been busy nesting and gathering insects and caterpillars for their young. Now that young have fledged the parents have/are perhaps introducing them to feeders etc. so there should be more activity.

We also had a lull but they seem to have returned including the goldfinches - aren't they a beautiful little bird?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2012, 05:56:17 pm »
They are really beautiful and I was lucky to see many of them when I had a walk above Capel Garmon recently. The Medz is lucky to have a pair nesting in his garden.
I know there are various nests in the hedges around my back garden but don't know what type of birds are nesting there as I keep away from the area where the nests are.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #636 on: June 16, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »
The nesting pair of goldfinches and their 4 chicks have now all successfully left the nest. We had so much pleasure having such a good close view looking through the window at them building the nest and then the chicks growing up. We had another pair (could be the same pair I suppose !)  of them in a different tree in the garden last year that hatched three chicks a lot later on in the year. So you never know there could be a nest very close to you Hugo. The goldfinches this year  always worked in pairs one vociferously keeping watch sat on the phone line outside the house while the other fed the chicks. Then they would both gather on the phone line and then  fly away together for the next lot of food.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #637 on: June 20, 2012, 01:33:30 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/need_to_read/2012/06/19/rare-rose-coloured-starling-spotted-in-north-wales-55578-31214873/#.T-HBR58AW-U.email

I drove past this morning and there were still a number of birdwatchers on the Marine Drive with their cameras focused on the building. Some of them had massive cameras so I didn't bother to stop and get my Canon Powershot out.      :-[

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #638 on: June 21, 2012, 11:59:23 pm »
There is a baby seagull which has been on my roof for the last two days and nights.
It has emerged from the nest very prematurely, it is a fat, grey feathery chick, with no visible wings and about the size of a tennis ball.  I think it simply tumbled out of its nest in next doors chimney stack.

The mother bird stands guard about two feet away to deter predators, but that just means that she can't go and get food for it.

Its quite sad really to hear its plaintiff cries, and I expect it will either fall off my roof due to weakness or get nabbed by a cat in the next few days.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #639 on: June 22, 2012, 11:50:51 am »
Doesn't your mate ME rescue seagulls as well as pigeons?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #640 on: June 22, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »
 No, strictly pigeons and a dove, friendly creatures ;D.  The North Wales Bird Trust on Bodafon Fields may be able to help, or perhaps some food could be thrown on to the roof? Not meant to feed seagulls though??  ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #641 on: June 22, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »
Distressed baby seagull, or no distressed baby seagull.... I ain't going outside in this weather,  it will have to take its chances.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #642 on: June 22, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »
Distressed baby seagull, or no distressed baby seagull.... I ain't going outside in this weather,  it will have to take its chances.

Its only a bit of Summer rain, Fester  :D  $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #643 on: June 22, 2012, 04:15:31 pm »
Here are some photos taken of the Pink Starling that has been in the news recently.  My friend Tellytubby took the photos early in the morning before all the other snappers had arrived and he was rewarded with these pics.   

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #644 on: June 23, 2012, 06:52:34 am »
Wow, great pics there of a very rare bird!  $good$