Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528673 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #615 on: June 02, 2012, 10:34:36 am »
The pictured trapped mouse found the contents of bird feeder in our garden a little bit too tempting. Maybe our cat was saving it for later. Ps the mouse was freed and taken to the field across the road at a cost of bitten fingers and a visit to the hospital  minor injuries unit for a tetanus shot.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #616 on: June 02, 2012, 11:44:35 am »
A few weeks ago we had a Robins nest out the back of the club.  Sadly we think the nest was discovered by possibly a Magpie and the four chicks were killed when they were only a couple of days old...shame.  Sorry about the picture quality.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #617 on: June 02, 2012, 11:54:41 am »
These little fellas are living in the roof of the George and Dragon, Conwy.  The mother must be a stray but she's doing a fantastic job of rearing these four little kittens.  There's a grey one that's really cute but unfortunately he was far too fast for me to take a good photo.  They all come out occasionally and play on the roof while mum goes looking for food.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #618 on: June 02, 2012, 08:35:20 pm »
Medz and Pendragon, what amazing and interesting photos!
You will both be on some wildlife watching programme soon.

Also loved reading about your fabulous walk Pendragon, well done.
My favourite is walking by the coast.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #619 on: June 02, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »
We have had two robins' nests this time and sadly both have perished. One before the eggs had hatched 2/3 weeks ago, and the other just after the youngsters had hatched. In the latter case my wife found the bits and pieces in another part of the garden so another bird or something had obviously had them within a couple of days hatching. Nature can appear very cruel at times.

According to "Spring Watch", magpies should not take all the blame as woodpeckers are also very predatory and account for a high percentage of young bird casualties.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #620 on: June 04, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »
2 of the 3 fledgling goldfinches in the the tree at the side of the house almost ready to go.

Offline hollins

« Reply #621 on: June 04, 2012, 02:09:20 pm »
A bee for Blodyn!

Offline martin

« Reply #622 on: June 07, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »
Spiders after the rain.  Having ventured out into the garden during a lull in the rain, I noticed a nest of baby spiders, each one not as large as a pin head, the scale is shown by the water droplets caught in the web.  I expect they will either make a tasty snack for a Blue Tit, or grow and play havoc with the local fly population.  The camera  have is not all that fantastic, just a fixed lens type, so on macro, the depth of field is very limited, hence the out of focus periphery of the ball of spiders.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #623 on: June 07, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »
Walking from Amlwch Port to Point Lynas we saw our first Dolphin of the season. It was on it's own after fish and although it didn't leap out of the water when it surfaced we could see that it was too large to be a porpoise so we presume that it was a Bottlenosed Dolphin.
Further on we met a couple who had been watching a pod of Dolphins hunting for fish and they had been swimming in a circle so as to trap the fish in the middle.
By the time we got to the spot where they had seen them Jet skis had arrived and scared the Dolphins away.     :(

Offline martin

« Reply #624 on: June 07, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »
WHAT!  It has censored the second word of the bird known as a Blue (something that rhymes with PIT), how daft can you get?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #625 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:15 pm »
Bluetit?.  :)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline martin

« Reply #626 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:14 pm »
Ah, that's how it's done, thanks ME.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #627 on: June 07, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
WHAT!  It has censored the second word of the bird known as a Blue (something that rhymes with PIT), how daft can you get?
What's daft about it? The software can't distinguish between me talking about a bird or just calling you a tit, can it?  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #628 on: June 07, 2012, 11:16:58 pm »
Or even a CHUFF!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Paddy

« Reply #629 on: June 08, 2012, 11:21:43 am »
Spiders after the rain.  Having ventured out into the garden during a lull in the rain, I noticed a nest of baby spiders, each one not as large as a pin head, the scale is shown by the water droplets caught in the web.  I expect they will either make a tasty snack for a Blue ***, or grow and play havoc with the local fly population.  The camera  have is not all that fantastic, just a fixed lens type, so on macro, the depth of field is very limited, hence the out of focus periphery of the ball of spiders.

Great pic Martin. I think the lack of depth actually helps it.