Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527743 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #600 on: May 20, 2012, 10:28:08 am »
Not sure if this is good or bad news but there is a broken egg shell on the grass near the bushes where I suspect the pigeons are nesting. Does this look like a pigeon's egg?
They are definitely still there because when I went to take this photo one of them quickly flew out. They appear to be coming from the rhododendron bushes which go quite high above the lower bushes.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #601 on: May 20, 2012, 04:04:21 pm »
Merddin Emrys - So yours is the home for all the strays. Pigeons are very intelligent, but are ruled by their stomachs, if there is food available they will be there. I keep tipplers (no they dont drink a lot). They are endurance flyers & can fly non stop for 20 hours + .   They are trained not to land until I call them in for food.

hollins - Yes it does look like a wood pigeon egg. They are white & about 1 1/2 inches long. They lay 2 eggs so they may still have 1 left.

Offline hollins

« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2012, 04:35:13 pm »
Thanks Rob for that info. The broken egg is exactly as you describe.
Here is another regular and amusing visitor!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2012, 05:43:04 pm »
You're very lucky to have a regular visitor like that Hollins as they are such a beautiful bird.  We have only ever had one here once and that was many years ago.
We did have a Corncrake in the garden around about the same time and at first I thought it was a small chicken running down the garden. It wasn't until the cat brought it in to the sun lounge that we could identify it properly.   It wasn't harmed at all but obviously would have been in shock so we kept it safe until it fully recovered and released it in a cornfield near our house and it just ran off very quickly.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #604 on: May 20, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »
First time in my life I have ever asked a question about wildlife.
I like wildlife, but I know nothing about it.
But, your post, are you saying your cat brought in a wild bird, more or less in one piece?
Before I read your post I would have bet a pound to a penny that that was impossible. Mike

Offline Hugo

« Reply #605 on: May 20, 2012, 10:25:35 pm »
Believe me Mike, there wasn't a scratch on the Corncrake and the cat even brought it in through the cat flap.   I checked the bird thoroughly and there was no mark on it or any damaged feathers or otherwise I'd have gone straight to the RSPCA.
We kept it in a cage until we could identify it and make sure that it had fully recovered.  This took about 3 hours but when I released it in the cornfield it ran off like the clatters so I knew it was going to be ok.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #606 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:11 pm »
Our cat is eight years old and for the first time ever this evening brought us in a present from the garden. A lovely little mouse and as with your Corncrake, Hugo, it was totally unharmed. That is more than can be said for my back after trying to move the chest of drawers in the dining room (without removing all the plates bowls etc ) to try and catch the furry little creature (mouse not cat) that had run underneath. Happy ending. Mouse finally caught and dispatched into the long grass across the road from us.

Our previous cats were somewhat more prolific including bringing in alive and flapping through the cat door  two of the neighbours prized Koi carp, dropping them at my feet  and demanding that they be cooked while they were still fresh.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #607 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:07 am »
Aaaaagh--when my daughter was pregnant with her first, many moons ago, she was very nauseous, especially when her cat presented her with a live earthworm every morning! :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline sam

« Reply #608 on: May 21, 2012, 02:58:18 pm »
My nain told me that when she was a child the family cat used to catch a mouse every day, bring it to the doorstep where my nains mother would pick it up, pop it in a saucepan, boil it up and give it to the cat for tea! :o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #609 on: May 23, 2012, 10:53:41 am »
This is Mr Pink who was once wild but came to us nearly a year ago with a wing problem, he's very happy here!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #610 on: May 23, 2012, 06:49:25 pm »
a different kind of wildlife, blackfly! the ants look after them as farmers look after their animals!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #611 on: May 23, 2012, 08:39:53 pm »
Mr Pink doesn't look quite so pink anymore.

But, he looks a darn sight happier and healthier than when my wife brought him to you, injured, and in a box!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #612 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:24 pm »
It was good that you rescued him. He has a life of luxury here (by pigeon standards!)  D)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #613 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:27 pm »
If re-incarnation exists, then I am coming back as a pigeon.... I shall feign injury, and move in with YOU!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: May 23, 2012, 09:31:42 pm »
If re-incarnation exists, then I am coming back as a pigeon.... I shall feign injury, and move in with YOU!
Make sure that you're not the one I saw squashed on the road today, can't remember where.