Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528134 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #585 on: May 05, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »
You're very lucky to see those birds in your garden and especially nesting there.        $good$
 Bellringer posted something about Goldfinches previously so today I've just bought some Nyger seeds and a special feeder and hope that the smaller birds will be attracted to them.
A friend of mine lives in Tyn Y Coed Road and he had nearly a dozen Long Tailed Tits visit his bird table but I don't think that any have nested there.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #586 on: May 05, 2012, 03:14:53 pm »
It's the second year running we've had a Goldfinch nest in the back garden although this time it's round the side of the house not in the middle of the back garden. They seem to be nesting  earlier this year. 3 chicks reared and away around August last year, so here's hoping. Funnily enough I've had a bird nesting box under the eaves since we came here and not one bird has been near it.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #587 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:09 pm »
Sitting on the nest looks like laying might be imminent.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #588 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:57 pm »
Your goldfinches look lovely, you are lucky to have them so close.  I do hope that they are successful in raising their family - I hope you'll keep us posted. 

Offline Jack

« Reply #589 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:11 pm »
While walking above the Conwy Valley on Sunday I heard and saw my first cuckoo of the year.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #590 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:52 pm »
There were 6 eggs originally in this Raven's nest on Llanddwyn Island but there are only 3 chicks there now.
The horses were grazing on the Warren in Newborough and the Swan was on her nest by the lake in Llanfairfechan

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #591 on: May 09, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
That's a lovely range of wildlife, Hugo. 

Jack, it's nice to see the photo of a cuckoo.  I used to hear them regularly when I lived for a while in South Yorkshire and then in Lincolnshire but there don't seem to be any close to me now.  I've seen a cuckoo only twice, while I was in Lincolnshire.  The first one flew low over my garden and said "cuckoo" as it went past, so that even I couldn't fail to recognise it.  :) The second one (stop reading here if you are a birdlover of a sensitive disposition) was dead on my kitchen floor and about to be devoured by my cat.  :(

Offline hollins

« Reply #592 on: May 10, 2012, 12:08:38 pm »
I am hopeless on birds but I think we have pigeons making a nest in these bushes outside the kitchen window. They have been flying in all morning with twigs almost as big as themselves. I've not been quick enough to get a photo of one flying in but here is a blurred one of one of them flying out.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #593 on: May 10, 2012, 12:26:19 pm »
It certainly looks like a Pigeon Hollins but I'm sure ME will tell us if it isn't.   It's unusual though for one to be nesting so near the ground in bushes where they are vulnerable to predators

Offline Hugo

« Reply #594 on: May 19, 2012, 10:50:45 am »
My wife was given a couple of weeks ago, a bird feeder and a bag of niger seed specially for finches. We hung it in our monkey puzzle tree along with the two ordinary feeders we have there and to her great delight, the finches have found it after about a week. Apart from chaffinches and green finches, it has attracted goldfinches which are especially delightful to see as the markings of the male are exquisite.

Bellringer, I bought some nyger seeds and a nyger bird feeder after you posted this but no birds  have visited the feeder.  I've put down fat balls,peanuts,meal worms and birdseed and they have all gone but I've still got a birdfeeder full of the small nyger seeds.
The feeder for the nyger seeds has an opening of only about a quarter of an inch and I was wondering if your feeder was the same.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #595 on: May 19, 2012, 10:59:06 am »
It certainly looks like a Pigeon Hollins but I'm sure ME will tell us if it isn't.   It's unusual though for one to be nesting so near the ground in bushes where they are vulnerable to predators

I didn't see this until now! That's a wood pigeon, keep an eye out for cats, sparrow hawks, magpies etc, powerful flyers wood pigeons!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #596 on: May 19, 2012, 11:41:48 am »
Yes, a bit too powerful for their own good. We have a big white bird shape with wings outstretched on the glass of the kitchen window. We can't find any casualties so it must have recovered.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #597 on: May 19, 2012, 12:21:08 pm »

Bellringer, I bought some nyger seeds and a nyger bird feeder after you posted this but no birds  have visited the feeder.  I've put down fat balls,peanuts,meal worms and birdseed and they have all gone but I've still got a birdfeeder full of the small nyger seeds.
The feeder for the nyger seeds has an opening of only about a quarter of an inch and I was wondering if your feeder was the same.
[/quote]

Hello Hugo. It took several days before we had much activity and then it seemed there were all types of finches around it. However it has quietened off but there are still a few 'regulars'. And yes the feeding holes are really quite small but the seeds do go.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:26 pm »
Definitely wood pigeon - they dont normally nest so low though.
Merddin Emrys - I take it you keep pigeons too. What area are you from, what type do you keep & do you lose a lot to peregrines. + what other birds of prey do you have probs with in the area?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2012, 10:43:39 pm »
Hi Rob,
           It's an unusual story with me and pigeons! It started some years ago with finding a young wood pigeon that had fallen from a nest by a main road, in Oxfordshire. We hand fed him/her with success then a second one! Last year in Penrhyn Bay local pigeons adopted me, then pigeons needing a home turned up, one who wobbles, can fly but likes being indoors! Two others who cannot fly also are with us! And a dove! How they come to us I do not know? But we love them! I've witnessed 3 sparrow hawk attacks and every time we were able to save the pigeons (visitors twice, once one that can't fly) great birds, amazing how bright they are when you get to know them!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas