Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 543969 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #555 on: April 11, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »
Here I go again!
This little blighter was just starting his work in my garden shed.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #556 on: April 11, 2012, 07:13:47 pm »
Lucky you found that in time! A couple of weeks ago we were getting two a day in the conservatory!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline martin

« Reply #557 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:05 pm »
Could anybody tell me where Angel Bay is please?  We would love to see the seals.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #558 on: April 11, 2012, 08:13:46 pm »
It's in Penrhyn Bay, at the foot of the Little Orme, at the far end of the Penrhyn Beach estate behind the Co op.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline martin

« Reply #559 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »
Thank you, I appreciate the information.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #560 on: April 11, 2012, 08:20:23 pm »
Martin,  Angel Bay is in Penrhyn Bay and is on the eastern part of the Little Orme.    It is best approached from the housing estate of Penrhyn Beach (where the Co-op store is ) and make your way to the end of the Penrhyn Beach East road and go to the cul du sac at the far end of the street.
You'll find some concrete steps there so go up them and at the top turn right.  The path is clear, flat and Angel Bay is at the end of that path, it's an easy 10 minute walk to get there.   Hope there are many seals for you to see.

If you have a sat nav or want to check it on Google put in the Post Code LL30 3RW and you will see it.

Just realised that ME has given you the info.

Offline martin

« Reply #561 on: April 11, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »
Thanks to both of you, and thank you Hugo for the directions.  It's funny, that we were in that road today, had seen the posh houses overlooking the sea on Google Street View, and wanted to see them for real.  I imagine they will cost a few bob.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:51 pm »
I nearly purchased a plot of land on the cliff edge in that street but backed out at the last minute when I read the soil report. There were serious erosion issues but someone has built on that plot since so good luck to them.
The most seals I have seen there at one time have been 27 but one guy I spoke to reckons to have seen about 40!    There have also been rare sightings of Basking Sharks too so I hope that you see something when you go.

Offline martin

« Reply #563 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:16 pm »
Hugo, is there any particular time they are more likely to be there, high or low tide for example? 

Offline martin

« Reply #564 on: April 12, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »
Went there this afternoon, what a lovely place the Little Orme is, no seals though, but what there was, were five or six shouting children, halfway down to the cove, so if there had been any seals, they had decided to leave. 

Offline martin

« Reply #565 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:54 pm »
Something of note that we did see on the cliff immediately facing you as you walk along the path, was several pairs of nesting Fulmars high on the cliff face.  They draw attention to themselves by the chattering calls they make to each other, I expect it will be into May before they lay their eggs.  So, seeing these birds was something of a reward having missed out on the seals.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #566 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »
Here I go again!

Nemesis, I think "he" is a "she"!

Martin, sorry you didn't see the seals but I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Little Orme anyway. 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #567 on: April 13, 2012, 11:12:36 am »
Here I go again!

Nemesis, I think "he" is a "she"!

Martin, sorry you didn't see the seals but I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Little Orme anyway.

Oooops sorry Blodyn-- still don't want her in my shed-- too expensive to get rid of !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #568 on: April 14, 2012, 06:00:48 pm »
We have got herons nesting in the tops of the trees near us. They make a real racket if you walk past.
There are loads of bits of pale blue egg shells lying on the floor. We are hoping that they just throw the pieces out of the nest when the young ones are hatched.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #569 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:25 am »
My wife was given a couple of weeks ago, a bird feeder and a bag of niger seed specially for finches. We hung it in our monkey puzzle tree along with the two ordinary feeders we have there and to her great delight, the finches have found it after about a week. Apart from chaffinches and green finches, it has attracted goldfinches which are especially delightful to see as the markings of the male are exquisite.

Can't get her away from the lounge window now!!