Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 544274 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #525 on: March 15, 2012, 07:23:56 am »
We were there at about 1020, when there seemed to be about seven or eight that we could see. I got down about half-way to the beach, but I'd left my camera - which has a 35x optical zoom - at home, unfortunately...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #526 on: March 15, 2012, 10:40:54 am »
The seals were certainly popular yesterday! 

I can't have missed you by much, TheMedz, as you say our photos are very similar (except that yours are better than mine - thanks for posting them).  My friends and I particularly liked the seal which was using a rock as a pillow.  Like Hugo, we all had a good look at them through binoculars. 

Ian, what a shame you didn't have your camera.  I hope you remember it if you go back there, you'd get some fantastic shots with that lens. 

"My" goats have been joined by another nanny with a single young kid but it's definitely a binoculars job to watch them, I haven't got a ringside view like TheMedz.  I wonder whether goats return to the same area to give birth?  Last year two nannies had their kids just here, too.  Did any of you watch Country File this week?  They had an item from Buttercups Goat Sanctuary in Kent, testing a goat's memory - which seems to be pretty good.  (One of my cousins is a volunteer at Buttercups and we saw him briefly!)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #527 on: March 15, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
I was busy repairing the damage a Badger made to my back garden last night when I noticed that a Crow was looking for nesting material so I put a lot of our dog's combings on the ground and in no time it had gone. I did this three times and it all disappeared quickly and it was so comical to watch them flying over to the woods with masses of wool in their beaks. 
At least they'll have warm nests thanks to Marco!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2012, 07:22:20 am »
Saw the seals yesterday, and this time we had the camera...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:56 am »
Ian, that certainly is a fantastic shot, thank you so much.  The seals look very contented! 

Hugo, how nice of you to give the crows fur linings for their nests.  Is the badger a regular visitor? 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2012, 10:51:35 am »
Great photos Ian and nice to see so many Seals about in that area.  I wish I could take photos like yours and Blodyn's.

Blodyn, the Badgers come every night but we don't see them in the Winter time as we are in the front of the house then.  In the warmer weather we spent the time in the sunlounge at the back of the house and that's when we see them.  The most we have seen at once is 3 Badgers and one time a female Badger brought her two cubs with her and that was a lovely sight to see as they were in the garden for ages.
They make a funny noise and we could hear them the other night and think that there may be more cubs about.   I haven't taken any photos of the Crows this year but here's a couple from last year.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:12 am »
I wish I could take photos like yours and Blodyn's.

Thanks, Hugo, but really it's all down to the camera. It's the SX30 IS, which has the 35x optical zoom and a pretty good image stabilizer, when shooting. You can pick them up for about £280.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:55 am »
Thanks, Hugo, but really it's all down to the camera. It's the SX30 IS, which has the 35x optical zoom and a pretty good image stabilizer, when shooting. You can pick them up for about £280.
Yes, it's not bad...for a Canon.  :twoface:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2012, 12:12:40 pm »
 :laugh: now I wonder what is DaveR's favourite brand of camera? ....
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: March 16, 2012, 02:19:14 pm »
Yes, it's not bad...for a Canon.  :twoface:

$cofffee$

Not sure where the 'envy' smiley is....   _))* _))* _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: March 16, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »
I've used both Canon and Nikon extensively....and Nikon are far better, in my experience.  :P  8)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #536 on: March 16, 2012, 02:31:58 pm »
I've used both Canon and Nikon extensively....and Nikon are far better, in my experience.  :P  8)

That's strange;  so have I - except I reached a different conclusion...  _))* _))* _))*

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #537 on: March 16, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
There's only one way to decide this...
FIGHT!
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: March 16, 2012, 03:28:14 pm »

That's strange;  so have I - except I reached a different conclusion...  _))* _))* _))*
Really? I don't recall seeing many photos from you on the Forum?  :-X WWW

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #539 on: March 16, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »
Really? I don't recall seeing many photos from you on the Forum?  :-X WWW

But who taught you all you know about photography?  :twoface: :twoface: :twoface: