Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527511 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #510 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:19 am »
OMG I think that I had better apply for a job within the WWF !
This morning I was driving down past the back of the old Rectory Tea gardens after walking the dog along the track past the Roman Well when I had to slam the brakes on to avoid a large toad.
Being me I stopped the car, hopped out and rescued the toad, putting him in the hedge in the direction that he was heading. Thank goodness I didn't squash him-- I would have been mortified.
Imagine he could have been heading in the direction of the old Rectory Tea Garden's pond.
Ah well-- good deed for today.
I only need a newt and I could be in the Scottish Play! _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #511 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »
Being me I stopped the car, hopped out and rescued the toad, putting him in the hedge in the direction that he was heading. Thank goodness I didn't squash him-- I would have been mortified.

Now after all the hopping out, maybe you should have kissed him - it could have been your turn to get the Handsome Prince!     _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #512 on: March 01, 2012, 08:07:20 pm »
Whats the difference between squashing slugs and squashing toads, Nem?   Both slimy!   :puke2:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #513 on: March 02, 2012, 08:22:03 am »
My handsome toad wasn't slimy just cold and slightly damp.I have always been one for picking up  and rescuing things-- when I was a kid there was a mill pond fairly near where I lived and I used to torment my Auntie to death as she was petrified of frogs!
That slime from slugs is gross. Different thing altogether to frogs and toads and no before anyone says it I have never got warts from a toad !!! :o
Now hedgehogs are a different kettle of fish, they are usually hopping with fleas-- a friend had a white Maltese Terrier and it came in from the garden covered in hedgehog fleas. Guess who got the job of picking them off ?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Online Hugo

« Reply #514 on: March 04, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »
Look what I have just found on my back doorstep !

Some years ago I was in Taylor's Pub taking part in a pub quiz and when we had a half time break the landlady came up to me and said that my wife had phoned and to come home immediately as a Bat was flying around inside our house!
It had come in through the sun lounge,kitchen, and was flying around in the lounge. I managed to get it into the bedroom and closed the door and the poor little thing just flew around in circles until it was exhausted and settled on the curtains.
I caught it and released it unharmed through the window.   It wasn't a very pretty thing but its skin felt quite nice just like velvet. 

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #515 on: March 04, 2012, 06:48:18 pm »
I had a company called Belfry Plant - you had to be bats to work there!   :laugh:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Online Hugo

« Reply #516 on: March 11, 2012, 05:05:01 pm »
A friend just phoned to say that he had been  to Angel Bay today and counted 14 seals on the beach there.   I was going to go there today but didn't so I may go for a look tomorrow.

Online Hugo

« Reply #517 on: March 12, 2012, 03:38:10 pm »
It was high tide when I went to Angel Bay and there were a few seals on the beach again. According to a person I spoke to there are white pups on the beach too although I couldn't see them today. If that's correct then they will be there for a few weeks until the white coat changes colour.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #518 on: March 13, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »
Hugo, thanks for photo and the seal update.  I'm hoping to get there in the next couple of days, so I hope they hang around. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #519 on: March 14, 2012, 12:20:29 am »
Here's a pair of new goat kids, probably just a couple of days old.  While they were sleeping they were safely tucked behind their mother, who was sitting just above a steep slope.  I spotted them the evening before and managed to get out early enough to get reasonably close before the kids work up but then had quite a wait before they started moving.  Aren't they sweet? 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »
The goat kids have now progressed from sitting down and waiting while their mother feeds, to gambolling up and down the steep slopes, so they'll probably move off and rejoin one of the groups soon.  There seem to be a few kids with their mothers in the Black Gate area - you must have a lovely view of them, TheMedz. 

Hugo, very many thanks for the seal report.  A couple of friends and I went to see them today and were so pleased to see 15 adult seals on the beach, no pups, though.  I think that my photo of the seals looks pretty much like yours but I'm sure that someone with a good zoom lens could get some super pictures - the seals were just lazing around practically asking to be photographed. 

Online Hugo

« Reply #521 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:40 pm »
I'm glad that you were able to see the Seals Blodwyn.  I was there mid afternoon today and they were all in the same spot as on your photo.
My camera only does four and a half zoom so it's not much good for taking photos from that distance but I had my binoculars with me so it was nice to see them close up.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #522 on: March 14, 2012, 09:53:32 pm »
Blodyn - you are right the Kids are a constant pleasure at the moment and the getting such a close up view from the garden and side windows is amazing. We too went to angel Bay today (early afternoon) to view the seals and I couldn't believe what an audience they are getting currently. Not sure if these photos are any improvement on those shown so far but here goes.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #523 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:01 pm »
another. Looking at the position on that last one and yours we must have been there at around the same time.

Online Hugo

« Reply #524 on: March 14, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »
another. Looking at the position on that last one and yours we must have been there at around the same time.

Looking at your first photo Metz I can count 14 seals in it, the same as the number I saw today at about 3.00pm.  We all must have been there around the same time!