Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528405 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #405 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:55 pm »
I'm thinking that he's too tame for the wild, he was like that from the start and he has a slight limp in one leg, probably from when he fell out of the nest!

I've also been amazed by the seagull worm dance, very clever! $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #406 on: January 09, 2012, 11:05:41 pm »
who do you think taught them the rain dance the Apache or the sue

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #407 on: January 10, 2012, 09:25:47 am »
ME, your dove look gorgeous.  It's nice to see thae he / she is coming along so well.

Hugo, it's good to see so many Carneddau ponies.  Thanks for posting the pictures. 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:49 pm »
I was driving into Llandudno today and as I was passing Bodafon Fields there were hundreds of birds feeding there. At first I thought they were lapwings but then all the birds  took flight and I was able to identify them as the flew alongside the road.
They were Curlews, masses of them and I've never seen so many together and so close either, quite a remarkable sight.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »
They also frequently congregate on the part of the John Bright playing field across the road from Aberconwy Cars.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »
I didn't realise that that they were at John Brights or that they were around in such large numbers but it was fascinating to see them so close. Thanks for that info and I'll keep my open next time I pass there.
Lapwings used to be common in numbers in the Bodafon Fields but with the cattle and people moving about in the fields their numbers have declined.  They still congregate in the fields opposite the Llandrillo Tech in large numbers though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #411 on: January 14, 2012, 03:12:25 pm »
I had a short walk to Angel Bay in Penrhyn Bay and saw a couple of seals there. The young white pup is in the middle of the photo and was difficult to see until it started moving about. The white coat was getting dark in patches so it must have been there for a few weeks but it'll be leaving soon as it has started swimming already and did so while I was watching it.
The were many people there today enjoying watching the seals  and making the most of the Winter sunshine.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #412 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:59 pm »
Thanks for the picture of the seals Hugo.  Once again I probably won't get there before they disappear  :( so it's lovely to see the photo. 

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #413 on: January 14, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »
We went over to Angel Bay early this afternoon and unfortunately saw no seals either on the land or in the water. Nice to know they are still around. On a weather note it is one of the few times I've walked over to the bay without nearly being blown off my feet. Fabulous weather today. I think, with the forecasted frosts over the next few nights,   the Crocus and other spring flowers in the garden should possibly have kept their heads down for a little bit longer. Birdlife in the garden around the feeders really active today the resident robins have been joined by numerous blue tits, wrens  and a goldfinch.

Offline hollins

« Reply #414 on: January 14, 2012, 10:02:14 pm »
Sorry, not local wildlife but still in Wales. We saw many seals from the Pembrokeshire coast path. They were making quite a noise.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #415 on: January 14, 2012, 10:10:18 pm »
Profanity scanning software somewhat over zealous but better that than too lax!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #416 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
Profanity scanning software somewhat over zealous but better that than too lax!

Actually Medz, you can use the singular of that word on here, but not the plural...  (i.e. blue tit is OK)
As I discovered the other night when I raised the breast implant issue!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline martin

« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2012, 09:53:28 am »
I am able to confirm that the singular passes muster, in fact I used it just the other day when referring to Jeremy Clarkson, (from which you will gather, I am not one of his fans).  He defiantly falls into the Marmite category, you either love him or hate him.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2012, 09:56:47 am »
Fluff loves him  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline martin

« Reply #419 on: January 15, 2012, 10:06:59 am »
Until I hear Fluff cooing that I will not believe it.  I think that photograph of Fluff in front of the telly showing a picture of that nasty Mr Clarkson was doctored, all made up on Photoshop.  Either that or you were holding him, against his will, in front of the TV, it's funny we are unable to see Fluff's bottom end!  There's more to this than meets the eye.  &shake&