Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 544922 times)

Offline martin

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #390 on: January 05, 2012, 07:48:45 pm »
It's really good news he is eating, that looks very promising, he looks fairly well fledged so he may have just been knocked for six by a blast of wind.  It's nice to know there are people who care for creatures, so many do not, one of the biggest reasons we left Spain after just two years was the cruelty they inflict on animals, we just could not stand it, came back with two rescue cats, with three eyes between them.  Good luck with pigeon.

Offline martin

« Reply #391 on: January 05, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »
I hate to say it, but "they" always say leave it where it is, I, (just like you), find that impossible to do.  I suppose you have to weigh up the chances of it surviving in a box, if it does, what then?  Sorry, I have not helped a bit, I really HATE things like this, I feel far too much for animals, normally leave it up to the stronger sex, my wife, she just gets on with it.  Good luck, hope it goes well, poor little sausage! :-[
Merddin Emrys - Sorry about that post, I have looked back and have seen your history in helping pigeons, so my post was completely unnecessary and probably unwanted.  I seem to have a knack of saying the wrong thing on this forum, sorry once again. 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #392 on: January 05, 2012, 08:55:51 pm »
It's really good news he is eating, that looks very promising, he looks fairly well fledged so he may have just been knocked for six by a blast of wind.  It's nice to know there are people who care for creatures, so many do not, one of the biggest reasons we left Spain after just two years was the cruelty they inflict on animals, we just could not stand it, came back with two rescue cats, with three eyes between them.  Good luck with pigeon.

Thanks, good luck with the cats, the dove is still ok  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #393 on: January 05, 2012, 09:00:04 pm »
I hate to say it, but "they" always say leave it where it is, I, (just like you), find that impossible to do.  I suppose you have to weigh up the chances of it surviving in a box, if it does, what then?  Sorry, I have not helped a bit, I really HATE things like this, I feel far too much for animals, normally leave it up to the stronger sex, my wife, she just gets on with it.  Good luck, hope it goes well, poor little sausage! :-[
Merddin Emrys - Sorry about that post, I have looked back and have seen your history in helping pigeons, so my post was completely unnecessary and probably unwanted.  I seem to have a knack of saying the wrong thing on this forum, sorry once again.

No worries, somehow pigeons find their way to us, we managed to save several last year that are now flying free!  D)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #394 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:47 pm »
I've just been stood outside the house for a few minutes revelling in the, current rarity of,  less than gale force winds and there is one hell of a commotion (screaming and screeching ) coming from the rocks above Black Gate. It sounds very much like bird or young animal noise but I'm not sure what. Old Mr Fox up to his antics possibly.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »
Merddin, How is the Collared Dove faring?
Is it still with you?  If so, you will have to name him!

Has he been introduced to Wibble, Mr Pink and the gang?  ;) ;)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #396 on: January 07, 2012, 05:11:49 pm »
The dove is doing very well, very tame too, he or she has met Wibble and the canary, but not the other two pigeons yet :D

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #397 on: January 07, 2012, 06:18:19 pm »
Ponies on Conwy Mountain

Offline martin

« Reply #398 on: January 07, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »
The dove is doing very well, very tame too, he or she has met Wibble and the canary, but not the other two pigeons yet :D
That's good news, is she/he able to fly or is she/he too young yet?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #399 on: January 07, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »
Just a bit of flight, more gliding gently down really!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #400 on: January 09, 2012, 06:40:09 pm »
The dove is coming on well and is now eating seed, he / she is unbelievably tame!

Offline martin

« Reply #401 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47:18 pm »
Nice to see her, (I think she looks like a she), coming on, she looks very small though, what size is she in comparison to a full grown dove?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #402 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:31 pm »
From the tip of the beak to the tip of the tail about nine inches long

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #403 on: January 09, 2012, 07:47:48 pm »
No camera unfortunately but as we drove along the prom just after the rain this morning there were two seagulls on the grass verge merrily stamping away at the ground to get he obliging worms to stick their heads up and be eaten. I suppose the seagulls have got to  do something when there isn't a ready supply of chips!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #404 on: January 09, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »
Merddin... that is the cutest bird in the whole world, and I would never be able to release it!!! 

Medz, I wonder how it came about that the first ever bird realised that if they imitated rain, (by pattering their feet) that worms would be fooled and come to the surface.   I first noticed blackbirds doing it about 5 years ago.
It amazes me every time I see it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -