Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 542399 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #375 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:07 pm »
c,mon who's got my legs?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2011, 09:20:45 am »
Nannie on right!

There you are lounging around again doing absolutely nothing, all you think about is food and sex!  And you want both of them served on a plate; too bloody lazy to get them yourself!  Etc.  Etc. . . . . . . . . Etc.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #377 on: December 02, 2011, 11:02:04 am »
Ok now were here it's time to find the pampas grass  :roll:
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #378 on: December 23, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »
Our pigeon Wibble has taken to coming indoors for about an hour in the early evening, he always goes to the same chair (mine!) which has a towel on it, settles down and watches a bit of telly, we found him upside down at the side of a cupboard in the garage a few months ago. We did not think he would survive, but he's getting on well now!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Jack

« Reply #379 on: December 23, 2011, 06:56:07 pm »
This Ring Necked Parakeet has been seen feeding in gardens around the Deganwy and Llanrhos area.  More information available here:

http://www.northwalesbirding.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6255

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #380 on: December 23, 2011, 11:09:14 pm »
Hmmm!!!  The parakeet, A very attractive creature,
I know they don't belong in these climes, but they are fantastic,

M.E, I'm coming to see you (and Wibble) on Xmas Eve, and I think I know what his game is.

He comes in to watch Dickenson's real deal, but after half an hour, when he realises that you are not on it, he buggers off back to his favoured perch in the garage.
Birds have been around for 70 million years plus.... and us? maybe 1 million years if we are lucky.
They are not stupid!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #381 on: December 27, 2011, 12:35:36 pm »
Hmmm!!!  The parakeet, A very attractive creature,
I know they don't belong in these climes, but they are fantastic,
Apparently there are over 30,000 ring tailed Parakeets in the UK.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #382 on: December 27, 2011, 06:46:58 pm »
I was driving on the Llanrwst Road just before Christmas and by Trofarth there was a large Brown Hare sitting on the grass by the road. I haven't seen one for a few years and the last one was on the Carneddau above Llanfairfechan.
Prior to that it was many years ago on the Great Orme but I haven't seen one there since.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #383 on: December 27, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »
The last time I saw a wild hare was in a little eatery in a small French village.  It was in the middle of the table neatly contained in a large earthenware jug!  The hosts refered to it as civet de lièvre.   It was lovely!   I could have eaten more. 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #384 on: December 28, 2011, 10:50:15 am »
One of these little chaps running around my garden just now...  a Song Thrush I believe.

Nipping around at high speed, gathering lots of worms after the overnight heavy rains.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #385 on: December 28, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »
The last time I saw a wild hare was in a little eatery in a small French village.  It was in the middle of the table neatly contained in a large earthenware jug!  The hosts refered to it as civet de lièvre.   It was lovely!   I could have eaten more.

No wonder there aren't many Hares about if you keep eating them Yorkie!    :o

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #386 on: December 29, 2011, 12:15:49 pm »
Years ago I walked up the path behind the Gogarth Abbey above the cave and came upon a circle of six hares all sitting on their hind legs.  The wind was blowing away from them so they didn't hear me or get my scent.  Wished I had a camera.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #387 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »
Earlier this afternoon we went to Llandudno, parked in Abbey Road, walked a couple of hundred yards and found a young collared dove! He must have been blown from a nest, his parents were in the tree, but what to do? He's at home with us now having had some refreshment, will he live? Fingers crossed!

Offline martin

« Reply #388 on: January 05, 2012, 07:30:25 pm »
I hate to say it, but "they" always say leave it where it is, I, (just like you), find that impossible to do.  I suppose you have to weigh up the chances of it surviving in a box, if it does, what then?  Sorry, I have not helped a bit, I really HATE things like this, I feel far too much for animals, normally leave it up to the stronger sex, my wife, she just gets on with it.  Good luck, hope it goes well, poor little sausage! :-[

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #389 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:05 pm »
Normally I would leave them, but he was on the pavement at risk of cats etc, so we have him at home where we have got quite a bit of food and water down him and he's quite perky too. Hopefully we can get him flying and released where we found him (with luck! ) We already have 3 pigeons which for various reasons can't be released!