Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 541878 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2011, 12:14:38 am »
I like Mrs. Fester's idea.  The released moths then have a chance to return with their friends to avenge the squashed ones.   

I shall collect some moths to send as my reply to your legal team.  WWW

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »
Thanks for the info on the none stinging males (and the way of identifying) I would never had known that otherwise, amazing what you learn!

I'm interested in sub-native species, to put it more specifically species that straddle the border between being native and none native - like the Arbutus tree for example - it's really difficult to ethically classify this, because of course conservationists are constantly introducing native species into area where they might not exist previously.

Western Gorse, and Spanish Broome is one of those that is a 'sub-native' species, and is encouraged onto heathlands by rangers.

Yet Prunus lusitanica, Quercus ilex could be deemed as a sub-native species and has been deemed a weed.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2011, 11:00:46 am »
That's an interesting question about sub-native species, Stephen.  Would the tree bumblebee be classified as one?  It's arrived apparently by itself and has made itself at home here.  What about red valerian (Centranthus ruber), to digress to plants again? That was introduced by the 16th century, is now very well established and is of considerable benefit to our native insects, as well as visitors like the hummingbird hawk moth. 

Here are another couple of male bumblebees recovering after a hard night.  Not a very good photo, I'm afraid - I keep seeing these bees when I've started my walk in bad weather taking only a compact camera with me (yes, I know, a bad workman always blames his tools!).   

The brown bee at the top is a common carder (Bombus pascuorum) and the stripy one at the bottom is a buff tail (B. terrestris).  These are not as easy to tell from their female counterparts as are the red tailed bees.  The queens of all bumblebee species are much larger than the workers (all females) and males; but the workers and males are similar in size.  The workers of the buff tail bees have whiter tails than the males but the carder bees all have similar colouring. 

If you can get close enough to a bumblebee (without upsetting it too much in case it turns out to be a female), the males have longer antennae, less pointed tails and hairier rear legs.  The females have pollen baskets on their rear legs but the males don't do any work and so lack the pollen baskets. 

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2011, 12:30:41 pm »
It must be so difficult for a conservationist to work out what is what. Common sense tells me that an insect that got here on it's own is a native, afterall we similarly colonised the world... however that particular insect might outcompete the true natives... difficult one to manage.

We always stroke the backs of bumble bees when they are pollinating, they seem oblivious to it. ( I assume that includes females).

I didn't realise the pollen sacks were carried by females.. does this apply to all species of Bombus? if so it's a sure fire way to tell if its male or female.

Great photo again Blodyn! $good$

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2011, 02:11:48 pm »
Thanks, Stephen. 

All the females of the social bumblebees have pollen  baskets but they're not necessarily full.  So, if you can see balls of pollen on the rear legs it's definitely a female.  If you can't see them it could still be a female but not collecting pollen at the moment - and it's not always easy to see if a bee's got hairy legs or a pollen basket.  Incidentally, I've heard that if a bee you're handling starts waving one of its legs out sideways it's a sign that it's getting unhappy.  I've never put this to the test by provoking the bee after this point! 

The cuckoo bumblebees are currently classified as Bombus spp too but neither the males nor the females (which are only queens, no workers) have pollen baskets, as none of these do any work for themselves.  The cuckoo queen invades the nest of a social bumblebee (each species of cuckoo seems to attack a particular social species), kills the queen and lays eggs of new queens and males, which are then raised by the social workers (perhaps that would sound a bit better is I said the workers of the social bees!). 

Cuckoo bumblebees tend to look a bit more heavily-built than social bumblebees, with "armour plating" on their backs and smoky rather than clear wings.  Both the males and the females have hairy legs but the males' are hairier!  I'm still learning about bumblebee identification and I've not seen many cuckoo bees. 

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #335 on: September 09, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »
Never in my life did I think I'd be interested in Bumble Bees but I now find them fascinating thanks to the forum  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »
playing off the thirteenth tee yesterday saw bees going into the ground at the back of the tee, hows that for coincidence, there were some big ones amongest them, thought they nested in trees?

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »
They nest underground, if you go up the Orme, or any heathland around the coastline of N Wales, you might notice some bees buzzing around your face - only when you walk on do they leave you alone.. I put that down to fact I was near a nest site.

It can be quite intimidating, but I fully respect all types of bees and realise that they serve more purpose in the natural world than I do, so I respectfully move along.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2011, 07:06:52 pm »
I have 8 runner bean plants that are absolutely full of blossom and one little bee seems to be doing his best to keep up the pollinating workload.  I am picking beans on a daily basis so the fruits of his labour are definitely being rewarded.   He (or she) stays around even whilst I am picking and doesn't seem to be bothered one little bit.    $thanx$ 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #339 on: September 09, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »
Pendragon, bumblebees are certainly fascinating and as they're relatively large, colourful, slow and friendly (like Yorkie's bee) they're entertaining to watch.  With your recent interest in plants, too, you could plant a lavender (in pot, windowbox or garden) and then between looking after the plant, watching the bees (which love lavender) and going on walks you won't have time to be bored again!  By the way, I'm looking forward to hearing what you discover on your walk, I do like the hills above Llanfairfechan. 

Snowcap, you're lucky to have found a bumblebee nest.  As Stephen says most do nest below ground, e.g. in abandoned mouse holes, though there are a few which may nest on the surface in old mammal nests or among grass and mosses.  Tree bumblebees will nest in holes in trees and they also like bird boxes. 

Steven, I was reading something recently about bumblebees buzzing around people who're standing still.  If you get just odd bees on their own doing it, there's a suggestion that they're investigating a possible new landmark on their flight route.  Apparently only some species do it but I can't remember the details without looking it up again. 

Yorkie, I'm sure that your little bee is very grateful for your runner beans.  Legumes provide pollen with a high protein content, which is very important for developing bee larvae.  As it's a very busy bee I suspect that it's a female!  If you can see balls of pollen on the rear legs then it's definitely a female and will be taking that pollen back to the nest.  Is it a golden brown bee or a stripy one? 

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #340 on: September 09, 2011, 10:27:48 pm »
Blodyn, I witnessed about 4-5 bees doing it on a pathway I would estimate to be a quarter of a mile long. They were all red tailed bumblebees if it helps.

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #341 on: September 09, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »
Never in my life did I think I'd be interested in Bumble Bees but I now find them fascinating thanks to the forum  ;D

I'm the same Pendragon.......I've hated things that buzz since being a child and thought that there were just Bees or Wasps, it's been fascinating learning about all the different types.

Thanks for the Wasp link Blodyn, I think I'll leave the nest alone and hope they die off throughout September (and hope that any that survive decide to move on next year and leave our loft alone - I'm quite fond of bees now after reading this thread but still hate wasps, who just seem to sting for the fun of it !!!) 

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #342 on: September 09, 2011, 11:47:36 pm »
Male wasps also don't sting like bees, so you can hold male wasps.

They are the ones with the long attenae, the short attenae belong to the females.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2011, 08:34:07 am »
Male wasps also don't sting like bees, so you can hold male wasps.

They are the ones with the long attenae, the short attenae belong to the females.

:o :o  But why take the risk?  I'm reaching for that rolled up magazine....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »
because being male I sympathise with them  WWW $lol$