Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527726 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2011, 11:50:19 pm »
I'm OK with butterflies, although they are not my favourite creatures, no insects are...

But, I took my daughter to a butterfly garden in Leeds, when she was aged about 8.
I never realised that she had inherited my phobia of all thinks moth-like.
As they attempted to land on her, she panicked and tried to batter them all.

Needless to say, I ushered her out very quickly, never to return!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #301 on: August 14, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »
I saw dozens of baby Frogs on the forestry tracks in Newborough and also a number of small toads in the sand by Malltraeth estuary.   By the sand dunes I was surprised to see one baby Frog below the high tide mark and it was lucky that the tide was on the ebb.
On Llanddwyn Island I saw a large female lizard sunbathing on a rock but she moved quickly before I could take a photo.
Walking back through the forest we could hear plenty of Crossbills calling but couldn't see where they were. The forest is also home to many Red Squirrels but although I've been here many times I've never seen one.     :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »
Blog about the wild birds of the Great Orme:
http://greatormebirds.blogspot.com/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2011, 12:03:24 am »
I'm not sure this is exactly Wildlife,  because these guys are certainly no longer 'Wild' but here goes...

I visited Merddin Emrys and his wife this evening, as they have been looking after my pet bird for a long while now.
In recent months they have been visited by, or found, or been handed, several injured or lost pigeons.
For some unknown reason, pigeons seem to gravitate to the Merddin Emrys house.
I have witnessed them move from being wild, to timid, to calm, and now to being downright tame.

Take a look at these pictures of these two resting in Merddin's hands, cradled like babies.
A few moments later, they toddled off to ''bed'', in the garage... all in all it is an amazing sight to behold.
They are entirely comfortable being cuddled, stroked etc... and do not even flinch.
Maybe Merddin should change his tagname on here to Dr Doolittle?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #304 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:58 am »
It's amazed me, just how tame pigeons can be, lots of different personalities too, one common interest though, a love of seed  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #305 on: August 26, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »
Three baby Goldfinches spotted nesting in a tree in the back garden today.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »
Getting a little too big for the nest.

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2011, 05:02:59 pm »
Lovely photos Medz and you're lucky to have such attractive birds in the garden as I haven't seen one here for years.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2011, 05:20:12 pm »
Interesting that they don't get the trademark red face until they reach adulthood.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2011, 01:57:18 am »
Take a look at these pictures of these two resting in Merddin's hands, cradled like babies.

Who's that with the pigeon chest Fester?  :P

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »
The Great Orme billies seem to be starting the rut, with pushing, jostling and locked horns.  Listen out for the clash of horns, too. 

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »
5 of the goats went down Llwynon Road (on a red light!) and onto BlackGate yesterday morning.

I also noticed a flock of sheep above BlackGate for the first time this year.

The viewing point on Anglesey Road has also acquired a sign asking people not to "worry the sheep" with their dogs so I can only assume that the sheep have only recently been re-introduced back onto the Orme.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #312 on: September 02, 2011, 11:51:25 am »
Those goats just won't obey the Highway Code! 

Yes, the sheep are back on the Orme and all the popular footpath gates have warning notices on them.  According to the Country Park Wardens, sheep on the Orme are killed by dogs every year, either as a result of direct attacks or by being chased over cliffs. 

The colourful little fellow in this photo is a male red tailed bumblebee.  Once male bumblebees have left the nest they don't return and have to find what shelter they can at night or in bad weather.  On Wednesday morning there were several rather sluggish bees on a patch of knapweed - apparently recovering after rather a hard night!

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2011, 11:14:04 pm »
Nice shot Blodyn, I've really come to like Bumble Bees, ever since I developed a knack for holding them without being stung! Red tailed ones are the ones that are most likely to buzz around your face if you walk near their nest, but they're totally placid otherwise.

One of the more colourful red-tailed ones I've seen this year.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2011, 12:11:50 am »
hi stephenprudence, the red back with the yellow stripes have no sting but the red back without the stripes, i believe do have stings. i used to catch them in a jar when i was a kid and you brought a few memories back. painfull ones regarding the ones without stripes.