Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 545024 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #285 on: August 03, 2011, 01:31:01 pm »
They look pretty busy on that plant, Nemesis.  When the churchyard grass is next cut (any time now), the ragwort plants will be left for the caterpillars and other insects to feed on. 

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #286 on: August 03, 2011, 04:04:58 pm »
 $good$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2011, 11:06:00 am »
My neighbours and I were watching a young Buzzard perched on the top of a bungalow across the road.  It just stayed there for about 15 minutes while it's parents were flying in a circle higher up and then it just flew away when the parents went out of sight.
We are seeing more and more of them nowadays and they are a big bird of prey.  It's a shame that the seagulls chase the Buzzards and it's not the other way round.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2011, 11:53:31 am »
I'm told that the threat posed to agriculture by the rising rabbit population in the 50s and 6o's was met with the introduction of myxamitosis. This disease had a devastating effect on rabbits  and so dependent are buzzards on rabbits for food that there was an almost immediate drop in buzzard numbers by up to 50%. Now the rabbit population  is less impacted by myxamitosis then the numbers of rabbits in the area has grown and hence the increased number of Buzzards.

We went for a walk round Bryn Pydew and through the fields and trees round the back Bodysgallen Hall, at the weekend, and came across two buzzards in the fields feasting on a dead rabbit. They were most reluctant to move as we approached and we managed to get within 10 or 15 feet of them before they flew into the tall trees.

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2011, 10:04:34 pm »
On the note of moths, has anyone seen the resident Hummingbird Hawkmoth at Haulfre Gardens.. it's rare that Hummingbird Hawkmoths are seen at all, but it seems this particular one has decided to settled down and make the garden it's home.

photo below.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #290 on: August 05, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »
It's interesting to hear that a hummingbird hawk moth has settled down in Haulfre Gardens.  During late June - early July my garden was visited by a couple of these moths (see page 9 of this thread) but I haven't seen them for a while now. 

According to the Butterfly Conservation website there have been quite a number of these moths recorded throughout the UK this year.  Let's hope we see more of them in the future - they're fantastic, aren't they. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #291 on: August 05, 2011, 11:49:12 pm »
It's interesting to hear that a hummingbird hawk moth has settled down in Haulfre Gardens.  During late June - early July my garden was visited by a couple of these moths (see page 9 of this thread) but I haven't seen them for a while now. 

According to the Butterfly Conservation website there have been quite a number of these moths recorded throughout the UK this year.  Let's hope we see more of them in the future - they're fantastic, aren't they.

No Blodyn, unfortunately they are not.
In fact I fear and despise moths.  A phobia you might say, one which I have had since childhood, when I remember them invading the bathroom when I was in the bath, bashing around the light and scaring the life out of me.
I would urge any such moths to steer well clear of my house, or I will swat them!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #292 on: August 06, 2011, 11:01:46 am »
You might have trouble swatting one of these, Fester, they're enormous!   WWW

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #293 on: August 06, 2011, 01:03:23 pm »
That made me chuckle as my OH is the same-- and with daddy-long-legs. ! We had a couple of the moths in question in the garden a year or two back,-- there was I studying them and he was behind the newspaper !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »
You might have trouble swatting one of these, Fester, they're enormous!   WWW

Then I shall invest in a bigger, sturdier swatter..... or move out of town!

Telling me they are huge is not helping me with my fear of them is it?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #295 on: August 06, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »
do not swat them, there will be one hell of a mess to clean up!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2011, 11:59:19 pm »
Telling me they are huge is not helping me with my fear of them is it?

Well, Fester, what more can I say about them? 

They have large, hairy bodies, their wings beat incredibly quickly, you can feel the air move as they zoom past - and they fly in daylight!  Perhaps you'd better stay indoors!   aaa.gif

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2011, 12:14:54 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Try Cockchafers or May Bugs-- they are huge as well and tend to blunder around!
On a more serious note, saw a lone Buzzard last evening on the Orme

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »
I saw a group of nine choughs flying past the Great Orme yesterday.  Let's hope it's a sign that their numbers are increasing. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:51 pm »
Here's one especially for Fester - a six spot burnet moth resting on knapweed.  This is another day flying moth.  Perhaps you could try to think of day flying moths as butterflies with attitude?   ;D