Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 541988 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2011, 12:26:49 am »
I moved him to next door where they have a pond so he was out of harms way.

He probably came from there in the first place.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2011, 03:27:03 pm »
What lovely pictures, Hugo.  I never seem to be in the right place at the right time to see seals, so thank you for posting these. 

Blodyn, you should have been at Angel Bay in Penrhyn Bay today.  There were about 18 seals on the beach, another 4 were on a small rock in the water and others were swimming about in the water. I've posted this photo for now but will post others later.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »
Thanks for the latest photo and news of the seals, Hugo, I'm still not in the right place at the right time - must try harder!!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2011, 04:44:54 pm »
I've got a few good photos of the seals that my friend sent by e-mail but I'm having difficulty resizing them.  I'll post them another time if I can manage to increase their size.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2011, 03:55:13 pm »
I've just had a go at resizing the photos but haven't posted them because I'm not happy with the quality of the resized photos. Sorry Blodyn.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »
Sorry you weren't able to post the seal photos, Hugo, but many thanks for trying. 

Here's a photo of a jackdaw on the Great Orme.  It wasn't doing anything interesting but it did keep still long enough for me to take its picture. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2011, 10:44:43 pm »
I've just been watching the football on TV and the security light came when a small Badger approached the house.  It was just taking it's time looking for food but quickly departed to next door as soon as he heard our dog barking.
When it was safe to do so, I let our dog out and he was running around looking for the Badger so it's no wonder the garden looks more like a race track than a lawn at the moment.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:12 pm »
Our border collie called Ted, is good at drawing our attention to wildlife in the garden and just a few minutes ago was doing a merry prancing around on the lawn. The object of this apparently strange behaviour was a hedgehog which was curled up into a ball. So at least one has survived the harsh winter weather in our locality.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2011, 04:38:17 am »
Our border collie called Ted, is good at drawing our attention to wildlife in the garden and just a few minutes ago was doing a merry prancing around on the lawn. The object of this apparently strange behaviour was a hedgehog which was curled up into a ball. So at least one has survived the harsh winter weather in our locality.

There was a squashed one on the road at Craigside tonight. He must have survived the harsh winter too!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2011, 10:29:31 am »
Saw these tadples in a puddle along a track in Cwm Orthin.   Not much of a start for them in life but at least the puddles shouldn't dry out in the Blaenau area!
I've seen tadpoles in puddles on the Roman Road by Aber but unfortunately the puddles can dry out there sometimes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2011, 05:13:47 pm »
Saw a pair of these birds high in the sky above Llanfairfechan today - they were frightening all the other birds, so definitely birds of prey and had a wingspan probably several feet across. Great to watch them glide across the sky. Anyone hazard a guess as to what they were?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2011, 05:17:25 pm »
Swan was building its nest by the side of the boating lake at Llanfairfechan:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »
Great Photos Dave and nice to see the Swans back in Llanfairfechan again. Last year she laid about 8 eggs and they all hatched out.
The other bird may be a Buzzard because there are quite a few around the Llanfair and Aber area and they make an unusual high pitched noise when they are soaring high above.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2011, 05:43:17 pm »
Saw a pair of these birds high in the sky above Llanfairfechan today - they were frightening all the other birds, so definitely birds of prey and had a wingspan probably several feet across. Great to watch them glide across the sky. Anyone hazard a guess as to what they were?

I saw the same type of birds on Friday from the windows of Ty Gobaith in the Conwy Valley, they too were frightening the other birds. I almost lost track of the meeting by looking at the birds !
Buzzards by any chance?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2011, 05:52:51 pm »
They were fascinating to watch. Buzzards seems like a good possibility:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/buzzard/index.aspx